single svs pb2000 or dual svs pb1000's?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I read a pretty impressive review from that OTHER forum site with one of their reviewers...I don't want to link it in here as it probably is against the rules to link to another forum...and I don't generally like them anyway...lol.

Probably for naught as I inquired about it and it turns out the FF5 is discontinued. They did recommend the Supersub X which is a bit pricier but even beefier and a step up.

I dunno, I'm probably leaning towards SVS PB2000 at this rate, and see if I can go up to the 3000 possibly. I don't see anything else out there that looks like it will work, unless someone comes in and says the GE Super Sub X is awesome.
You're going to want to get the 3000, period. You have a pretty large room and I don't think 2 PB3000s would be overkill. I know they ain't cheap, but when you under-buy, realize it's just not cutting it and end up getting a bigger sub anyway it gets even more expensive. And I don't think getting a 2000 now then a 3000 later is a great plan either. Get something that doesn't leave you wondering and wanting the first time and you won't regret it. I speaketh from experience on this one! I wish I would have taken that same advice when I heard it. Woulda saved some buying, selling, shipping, dollars and been happy the first time.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You're going to want to get the 3000, period. You have a pretty large room and I don't think 2 PB3000s would be overkill. I know they ain't cheap, but when you under-buy, realize it's just not cutting it and end up getting a bigger sub anyway it gets even more expensive. And I don't think getting a 2000 now then a 3000 later is a great plan either. Get something that doesn't leave you wondering and wanting the first time and you won't regret it. I speaketh from experience on this one! I wish I would have taken that same advice when I heard it. Woulda saved some buying, selling, shipping, dollars and been happy the first time.
I also speaketh from experienth!!! And do concur...and just wanted to type that

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I get it, you're looking for any excuse to not go this route. I mean honestly, how many of us here, on an audio forum no less, don't have extra speaker wire laying around to use? That's one of the more pointless cons you could bring up. You need at best a few feet for the connection in the box. I've got dozens of feet of speaker wire to spare. Leaving out binding posts lets the purchaser decide how they want to connect the sub, some people use speakon connections because they're using pro amps, and others just use regular binding posts, etc etc. Besides that, for a couple more bucks you can buy all those things from PE. DIY isn't for everyone, but if you're interested in it, it's a good kit with good performance especially for the size. Someone who enjoys woodworking would probably just buy the driver and make their own box instead of ordering a pre-cut one.
I agree with the value of going DIY if you have the chops for it. I almost did it myself, but by the time I priced everything out I was within spitting distance of the VTF-3 MK5s. If I had more tools and better finishing skills I probably would build a pair of at least 15s, if not 18s, but at the end of the day I went with HSU. It really is pretty amazing what you get for what you pay with them.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Right. You convert a crappy quality MP3 file to a Flac file then what you have is a crappy quality Flac file. It's going to sound the same.
True, but I have NO idea why anyone would do that. It's pretty safe to assume, since we're on a forum for AUDIOHOLICS, that I'm likely talking about high quality recordings when I talk about FLAC files.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with the value of going DIY if you have the chops for it. I almost did it myself, but by the time I priced everything out I was within spitting distance of the VTF-3 MK5s. If I had more tools and better finishing skills I probably would build a pair of at least 15s, if not 18s, but at the end of the day I went with HSU. It really is pretty amazing what you get for what you pay with them.
All valid points. I'm not knocking the value of the Hsu's, they were the front runner for me before I built my UM-18. I merely posted something that fit the space requirements Border said they had and would give great performance in them. Then someone else came back with a whole string of "but...but....but....but's..." for something that they clearly wouldn't consider. And most of those but's have reasons behind them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
True, but I have NO idea why anyone would do that. It's pretty safe to assume, since we're on a forum for AUDIOHOLICS, that I'm likely talking about high quality recordings when I talk about FLAC files.
Well... in my time here I've seen thousands of posts and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone use the term "FLAC level audio". ANYTHING can be "FLAC level audio". I prefer lossless myself, but I also have high quality MP3s that are indistinguishable from the same FLAC file. To my ears they're the "same level audio". "FLAC level" doesn't even make sense!

Now since this is a, you know, FORUM, people come here for advice and make confused, nonsensical statements like that every day. I was only trying to clarify what @lovinthehd was getting at.....

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Well... in my time here I've seen thousands of posts and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone use the term "FLAC level audio". ANYTHING can be "FLAC level audio". I prefer lossless myself, but I also have high quality MP3s that are indistinguishable from the same FLAC file. To my ears they're the "same level audio". "FLAC level" doesn't even make sense!

Now since this is a, you know, FORUM, people come here for advice and make confused, nonsensical statements like that every day. I was only trying to clarify what @lovinthehd was getting at.....
Okay, let's keep this civil. No need to throw in language like "confused, nonsensical statements like that". If you want to look up high quality audio files online, what do you search for? Likely you type in "FLAC FILES" in the search bar and that's what you find. If I say "Hey, I'm heading to the race track" it's safe to assume I'm going there with a race-type-car...it's nitpicky to say "well, you can take ANY car to the race track, be more specific".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FLAC just isn't specific. It's a lossless codec. I never search for flac files....I do make them, tho. It would be faster/easier to download a flac file than a full file of whatever format, and sometimes I would download 16/44.1 file or 24/96 files in that format. Race track could be dogs, horses, etc. :) YMMV.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, let's keep this civil. No need to throw in language like "confused, nonsensical statements like that". If you want to look up high quality audio files online, what do you search for? Likely you type in "FLAC FILES" in the search bar and that's what you find. If I say "Hey, I'm heading to the race track" it's safe to assume I'm going there with a race-type-car...it's nitpicky to say "well, you can take ANY car to the race track, be more specific".
I look for "high quality recordings".

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
I look for "high quality recordings".
DUDE! Cmon...what KIND of recordings? BETA TAPE? LASER DISC? MASTER VINYL?

Recordings could be ANYTHING.

I KNOW you're talking about high-res audio files, because we're HERE in THIS forum. That's my point.

Which isn't even the point of this entire thread, so let's just drop it now, okay?

Olive branch extended. Let's all be happy audio-freaks together, cool?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
It happens a lot on here. I’m pretty sure everyone in here knows exactly what you meant but a few can’t help themselves but to correct something that doesn’t really need correction. Even if they are technically correct, most of the time it just not needed.IMHO of course.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
DUDE! Cmon...what KIND of recordings? BETA TAPE? LASER DISC? MASTER VINYL?

Recordings could be ANYTHING.

I KNOW you're talking about high-res audio files, because we're HERE in THIS forum. That's my point.

Which isn't even the point of this entire thread, so let's just drop it now, okay?

Olive branch extended. Let's all be happy audio-freaks together, cool?
I never took the Olive Branch away! Though I guess offering one is a nice way to cap off an aggressive post highlighted with words in all caps...

Honest to God I don't know what you're getting so excited about. I answered you honestly and truthfully. I'm not being obtuse either.
It happens a lot on here. I’m pretty sure everyone in here knows exactly what you meant but a few can’t help themselves but to correct something that doesn’t really need correction. Even if they are technically correct, most of the time it just not needed.IMHO of course.
I didn't do anything out of a need to correct something that didn't need corrected. I did it because people come here all the time and say things like that, truly not knowing the difference. I don't have a filter for every new person that comes to the forums to know what's in their head, I was only clarifying what I thought HD was saying and got clubbed for it. Show me the post I made that deserved that first sarcastic quote from OP..?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
It seems like it but the post wasn’t targeted at you. Just something I’ve been noticing lately.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Show me the post I made that deserved that first sarcastic quote from OP..?
Sure...post #66 above where you said
"Now since this is a, you know, FORUM, people come here for advice and make confused, nonsensical statements like that every day" Which basically means "In case you didn't know where you were, we're all smarter than you and that was a dumb thing you said". That comment was rude, condescending, and patronizing. In case you didn't think so, let me be the first to tell you it was certainly interpreted as such.

As CajunLB has noted, we're all pretty sure that about 90% of people completely understood what I was saying in the first place, so arguing over little dotted 'i's and crossed 't's doesn't make sense, and it's what kills most forums.

Oh, also, I'm not all 'excited' about anything between this pointless exchange. Just frustrated because...well...its pointless. I WILL be excited when I get my subwoofer, which is what this post was for. So let's all go back to that now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sure...post #66 above where you said
"Now since this is a, you know, FORUM, people come here for advice and make confused, nonsensical statements like that every day" Which basically means "In case you didn't know where you were, we're all smarter than you and that was a dumb thing you said". That comment was rude, condescending, and patronizing. In case you didn't think so, let me be the first to tell you it was certainly interpreted as such.

As CajunLB has noted, we're all pretty sure that about 90% of people completely understood what I was saying in the first place, so arguing over little dotted 'i's and crossed 't's doesn't make sense, and it's what kills most forums.
That's not the post you quoted first...

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
In my younger days I built a giant 30" EV sub cabinet with dual 10' transmission lines. We used it for rock band concerts. I tested it at my Mom's house with a signal generator and a phase linear amp. She came running out of the house complaining the windows were pulsing.

It's a lot of work building cabinets and if you want them to look pretty that's another skill set. My giant subs were simply covered in black carpet. :)

If I could save money building the cabinets or the product I want doesn't already exist at a reasonable price I would build it. But the VTF-3 MK5 is only 799 and includes a 15", an amp, lots of testing and it looks fabulous. No way I'm going to produce a better sub at that price including an amp.

However, if we are talking about an 18 or 21" driver and I had solid plans for a well tuned transmission line cabinet then it might be fun to build something few have.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That comment was rude, condescending, and patronizing. In case you didn't think so, let me be the first to tell you it was certainly interpreted as such.
All of your posts toward me so far have been rude and condescending. Starting with the very first one (interesting that when I asked about it you kinda skipped right over it...). Coming at me with emphasis, typing words in all caps and talking down to me. In case you didn't think so, let me be the first to tell you it was interpreted that way... Then you insinuate I'm just a jerk right before offering an olive branch?? :oops:

Do you do even know which post I'm talking about, right? The first one you quoted with a condescending reply.
Right. You convert a crappy quality MP3 file to a Flac file then what you have is a crappy quality Flac file. It's going to sound the same.
What about that post drew your ire enough to make that first quote to begin with? The example you gave above is not the first post of mine that you quoted. Seriously man, why are you so angry?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I really like this forum software. If someone gets aggressive with their post you can click on their icon select "ignore" and the problem is gone. How do I get that button for my workplace? lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis