Amp with existing receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because some early DVD software were encoded with THX 6.1EX or DTS 6.1, also certain DVD players had decoders beyond 5.1, with 6.1 & 7.1 decoders on-board. Note here the media may be only encoded 5.1 but the player had on-board decoding for 5.1 and/or the capability for outputting 6.1/7.1... But again the DVD ICs lacked a bass manager function, Harman/Kardon on certain AVRs actually had an analog >digital encoder providing a bass manger function for taking the 5.1/7.1 analog line inputs. By digitizing them through a multi-channel A/D converters feeding into the DSP so that all of the loudspeaker settings for x-over filters, levels were consistent for all digital and analog sources.

Just my $0.02... ;)
Okay, kinda obscure. Was more in the bluray capable of an analog 7.1 output....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
thats one of the things i like about the 3080. they didn't stuff 11 powered channels in, and the back is a little cleaner. tried to keep components higher quality and focus on sound. (yes I know it didn't rate as high as the denons on the tests. LOL)
Of course, these test numbers say absolutely nothing about sound quality or anything else other than the numbers.

The numbers don’t prove anything other than the fact that all these components will sound good.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Both my Denons have 7.1 multich ins but don't use them....
But those multi-channel ins are not the same as main-ins as mentioned by @M Code and myself above. The inputs on the Denons go through all the pre-processing of the AVRs, wheraes the real main-ins connect directly to the power amp inputs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But those multi-channel ins are not the same as main-ins as mentioned by @M Code and myself above. The inputs on the Denons go through all the pre-processing of the AVRs, wheraes the real main-ins connect directly to the power amp inputs.
My understanding is that they do bypass that but not sure...got a source?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My understanding is that they do bypass that but not sure...got a source?
View Page 12 which shows the back panel and indicates the way to enable connecting one source to an inboard amp by removing a jumper (from pre-out to main-in)

Attachments

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So looking at the Sony X950H that I just got, it doesn't support the HDMI 2.1 4K/120mhz thing. Is that a big deal for home theater, or only for xbox/playstation gaming? It's weird that the lower model X900H does support that feature. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So looking at the Sony X950H that I just got, it doesn't support the HDMI 2.1 4K/120mhz thing. Is that a big deal for home theater, or only for xbox/playstation gaming? It's weird that the lower model X900H does support that feature. Thanks.
I use 4K/60Hz for my 4K JVC Projectors. I think 4K Blu-Ray is usually 4K/24Hz.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I use 4K/60Hz for my 4K JVC Projectors. I think 4K Blu-Ray is usually 4K/24Hz.
so the 4K/120Hz thing is just to do with lag free gaming?

I like the specs of the 950 better for tv/movies and I don’t play video games but my son does. But he mostly plays computer based stuff instead of the tv based systems even though we have an Xbox one now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
so the 4K/120Hz thing is just to do with lag free gaming?

I like the specs of the 950 better for tv/movies and I don’t play video games but my son does. But he mostly plays computer based stuff instead of the tv based systems even though we have an Xbox one now.
I don't play games, so I don't know about lag time.

I know that 120Hz makes everything look like "LIVE camera", instead of that "motion picture".

My Sony TVs are set to 120Hz. I've never messed with the settings. I don't ever watch the Sony TVs because I only watch on my JVC PJ. But every time I see something on the Sony TV at 120Hz, it's looks really funny because everything looks like I'm watching from a live hand-held camcorder. :D

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I don't play games, so I don't know about lag time.

I know that 120Hz makes everything look like "LIVE camera", instead of that "motion picture".

My Sony TVs are set to 120Hz. I've never messed with the settings. I don't ever watch the Sony TVs because I only watch on my JVC PJ. But every time I see something on the Sony TV at 120Hz, it's looks really funny because everything looks like I'm watching from a live hand-held camcorder. :D
From what I'm finding and reading the hdmi 2.1 4k/120hz thing is more related to gaming with future 4k playstation and xbox units. The X900H Sony is supposed to get a firmware update allowing this function. From what I'm reading, the X950H has the exact same hdmi 2.1 capable board, but is not getting the update apparently. Again, it seems weird that the higher end model wouldn't have the capability. Regardless, it isn't something I'm going to worry about since I don't play games with either system. Thanks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
From what I'm finding and reading the hdmi 2.1 4k/120hz thing is more related to gaming with future 4k playstation and xbox units. The X900H Sony is supposed to get a firmware update allowing this function. From what I'm reading, the X950H has the exact same hdmi 2.1 capable board, but is not getting the update apparently. Again, it seems weird that the higher end model wouldn't have the capability. Regardless, it isn't something I'm going to worry about since I don't play games with either system. Thanks.
Since the spec hasn't really been implemented yet, leaving for an update ensures people's legacy components to work or work without bugs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View Page 12 which shows the back panel and indicates the way to enable connecting one source to an inboard amp by removing a jumper (from pre-out to main-in)
Yes, like old 2ch receivers I've had with pre-out/main-in jumpers to utilize the unit as either pre amp or power amp.....and this unit also has similar 7.1 analog inputs as the D&M units for using the receiver as power amp....

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
The question of when, or if, it becomes necessary to incorporate an external amp is something that I am now trying to figure out.

My speakers aren't exactly sensitive. The F/C/S (8ohm but dip below 4ohm min.) range from 89dB to 84dB. I sit about 13 1/2' from the center channel.

Bench testing shows my AVR capable of 105W @8ohm 5 channels driven. (.1% distortion)

I am using bass management with a XO @ 80Hz.

The recommended wattage for the speakers range from 30W to 200W.

I did some math, derived from an internet channel, and came up with 256W needed to hit reference.

This is obviously above the recommended power for the speakers. Is the specified range for the speakers absolute?

I can power the 5 channels with a Parasound 5250 V2, which is THX certified. Is there a benefit or am I over thinking this?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The question of when, or if, it becomes necessary to incorporate an external amp is something that I am now trying to figure out.

My speakers aren't exactly sensitive. The F/C/S (8ohm but dip below 4ohm min.) range from 89dB to 84dB. I sit about 13 1/2' from the center channel.

Bench testing shows my AVR capable of 105W @8ohm 5 channels driven. (.1% distortion)

I am using bass management with a XO @ 80Hz.

The recommended wattage for the speakers range from 30W to 200W.

I did some math, derived from an internet channel, and came up with 256W needed to hit reference.

This is obviously above the recommended power for the speakers. Is the specified range for the speakers absolute?

I can power the 5 channels with a Parasound 5250 V2, which is THX certified. Is there a benefit or am I over thinking this?
What are the speakers you are referring to, Brand and model for the three front units?

Do you intend to have the SPL limit up to 105dB per THX standards? That's pretty loud and kind of dangerous for your ears.

Do you already own the Parasound 5250 V2? If not, how would it cost you to get it as I believe it is discontinued?

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
What are the speakers you are referring to, Brand and model for the three front units?

Do you intend to have the SPL limit up to 105dB per THX standards? That's pretty loud and kind of dangerous for your ears.

Do you already own the Parasound 5250 V2? If not, how would it cost you to get it as I believe it is discontinued?
B&W 705 S2
HTM71 S2
707 S2

I do listen and prefer it to be loud. (history of guns and car noise)

I wouldn't say it has to be 105dB, but this seems to be some sort of standard/goal?

Yes, I already have the amp. I can move some cables around and re-purpose it.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Now you need to return that Sony 950 and save some money, and get a much better tv. Go buy the tcl 8 series mini led. You’ll thank me, hdmi 2.1 is pointless anyway. Yamaha 3080 is hdmi 2.0b and so is all your other stuff. Hdmi 2.1 will change to hdmi 2.1a with a different hdcp to make everyone start over once again. Get the best tv you can afford right now. No such thing as future proofing in this hobby.

Also the Yamaha 3080 was a great choice. manual peq far exceeds denons capabilities. Also it’s more reliable and runs much cooler. Great choice on canton, I own 596.2, 556.2, 896.2, 866.2, 518, 515 and many in ceiling and in wall as well. Now don’t skimp on amps or subs. The canton love power and really need it for high spl. The 596.2 system almost made my denon 6700 burn to the ground, but denon run extremely hot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis