Amp with existing receiver?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
This whole TV research is making my head hurt. I hate going through this process with HT equip. LOL

Think I'm feeling pretty good about the speaker choice, the sub choice and the receiver choice, but the TV thing is driving me crazy.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This whole TV research is making my head hurt. I hate going through this process with HT equip. LOL

Think I'm feeling pretty good about the speaker choice, the sub choice and the receiver choice, but the TV thing is driving me crazy.
Your path has started good, can't ask for more than that!

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Q90 is a nice one.

I like my plasmas but they just don’t match the newer higher end tvs in brightness or contrast. Zt60 I have is nice at times but just can’t enjoy it like I once did.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. I feel good about everything so far but the TV situation. :)
Don't sweat it. Is your room gonna have light control during the daytime? And is gaming a serious priority?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Q90 is a nice one.

I like my plasmas but they just don’t match the newer higher end tvs in brightness or contrast. Zt60 I have is nice at times but just can’t enjoy it like I once did.
Agree, just hard to drop the coin to replace the main one. I'll end up doing something within the year outta necessity. I still have to do the theater in the other house and I just ordered a few BMR kits.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I agree that the 950h will be a good tv with bias lighting. The contrast with the wide view angle is good and bad. Poor contrast but a wider viewing angle. So in certain rooms you need a wide angle.

I know the tcl isn’t a go to brand for everyone but worth a look for sure. Has a few quirks like any tv but it’s really great at so many things. Only tv better than it is oleds or q90. Oleds definitely aren’t for everyone too.

when do you get the canton? Did you get in white or black? Maybe take a picture of that area where everything is going and we can help with placement.

lastly get the biggest tv you can fit in that spot as well. I’d rather have a lower end 75” or 85” then something higher end and smaller. As long as it’s not a really bad big tv like 75” Samsung tu7000 or 75” q60t.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys. I'll try to respond to all the comments and questions from the last few posts. Bear with me.......

The Canton's should arrive today and the Yammy RX-A3080 should get here Friday. I already have the SVS PC-2000 sitting here in the box as well. From a 75" size standpoint, the only two things are are close to the cost of the 65" 950H are the 75" TCL 8 series for about $100 more and the 75" 900H for about $500 more. The 950H in 75" is about $1100 more and the Q90 in 75" is double.

The space isn't a dedicated theater room, but we do have solid wood blinds that will get the room dark enough during the middle of the day for most any TV to be visible. The viewing angle isn't super important, but we do have a wrap around sofa so some spots are off center.

I had these posted in the sub thread I started when picking the PC-2000 but it shows the room. It's not very deep but from head to back of that alcove where I plan to hang the TV is as much as 13 feet. The Cantons will sit on the floor under where the white deftechs are hanging. (I ordered gloss black Canton's by the way as my wife didn't like the gloss white finish). I'm planning to replace that red cabinet with something like a salamander designs synergy 237 cabinet and use it to hold my equipment and the canton center speaker on top. That TV pictured is a 65" samsung Q80 that I returned to get the sony when I found out it didn't support dolby vision. The alcove measures wide enough for a 75" to fit with a few inches to spare though. As you can see, it's a long room with the viewing area on one end. That portion is 12' deep and 16' wide (not counting the alcove). The alcove is 19" deep and 67.5" wide, so we are talking a very tight fit on a 75" TV. (a 77" model wouldn't fit)

Gaming is not a priority for me personally, and my son keeps saying it isn't for him as he prefers his computer for gaming most times. That said, I have this feeling that he will pop up next year and want a next level gaming platform when they really hit the market, but who knows. I don't think the Yamaha 3080 is capable of 4k/120 hdmi 2.1 either. Regardless, if I upgraded size but downgraded models, the X900H sony is supposed to get the 2.1 via firmware upgrade, but I keep seeing posts about jailbars and other issues with the x900h tv's. If I move to the TCL 75" it doesn't look to support 2.1 at all or eArc. If I move back to samsung then I loose dolby vision. The new 2020 Vizio 75" PX series may be the best option to check the most boxes but I'm not sure how it really compares and it's not available anywhere that I can find either. Ugh....................

I've been using the upper front deftechs as front height speakers with my onkyo 636. Have been looking at the canton 500 atmos speakers that can sit on top of the floor speakers and am wondering if they would replace the upper speakers and if so would they be best on top of the floor speakers or hanging where the deftechs are? I'd like to get all matching canton's at some point.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Question. How important is Dolby Vision vs HDR 10+?

I've been going to great lengths to make sure my TV, Receiver, etc. support Dolby Vision. What happens if you have HDR 10+ capability but play a movie that has Dolby Vision? Is the output degraded? Is it noticable?

I'm asking as I'm comparing say a Samsung Q90 75" with a Sony X950H 75" with a TCL 8 series 75". They all have differing specs and prices, but all 3 don't support Dolby Vision or HDMI 2.1 across the board.

Last edited:
Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
In that alcove I’d use a wall mount for tv that you can pull away from wall to make flush with outer wall. Light reflection off side walls would really bother me. Dolby vision looks the best on oleds but on lcd it’s not as big of a deal. Svs pc2000 pro definitely fits your room the best. Maybe in the future you can get a high output low tune sub. Would just take a lot of redesign in that room, which isn’t always worth it. Q90 is a nice tv but more comparable to tcl, so the added cost is hard. I’d rather find 77” oled for price of 75” q90.

I don’t think you’d like vizio pqx, lots of light bleed, horrible smart tv options, bad upscaling and lower quality control. If tcl bothers you get the Sony 950 in 75”. If Sony low contrast bothers you get Samsung q80. If q80 bothers you from lack of dimming zones or peakbrightness get q90. If q90 local dimming crush and lack of Dolby vision bothers you get oled. If oleds peak brightness or black crush bothers you then just buy something cheaper. Lol every tv has issues including the great plasmas built years ago.

also 2020 tcl tvs are dropping roku on better models. Going to android os, so they’ll get a little worse.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
In that alcove I’d use a wall mount for tv that you can pull away from wall to make flush with outer wall. Light reflection off side walls would really bother me. Dolby vision looks the best on oleds but on lcd it’s not as big of a deal. Svs pc2000 pro definitely fits your room the best. Maybe in the future you can get a high output low tune sub. Would just take a lot of redesign in that room, which isn’t always worth it. Q90 is a nice tv but more comparable to tcl, so the added cost is hard. I’d rather find 77” oled for price of 75” q90.

I don’t think you’d like vizio pqx, lots of light bleed, horrible smart tv options, bad upscaling and lower quality control. If tcl bothers you get the Sony 950 in 75”. If Sony low contrast bothers you get Samsung q80. If q80 bothers you from lack of dimming zones or peakbrightness get q90. If q90 local dimming crush and lack of Dolby vision bothers you get oled. If oleds peak brightness or black crush bothers you then just buy something cheaper. Lol every tv has issues including the great plasmas built years ago.

also 2020 tcl tvs are dropping roku on better models. Going to android os, so they’ll get a little worse.

Funny. I just looked at the Sony A9G and LG C9 and they are both 3/8" too wide to fit into the alcove so a 77" is out for sure. :( LOL

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Doing more reading here................ continuing the analysis paralysis...................

If Dolby Vision requires a 12 bit panel to actually do it's thing, and current TV's are only 10 bit panels, is there any real benefit to it in a current TV purchase? How do non-Samsung TV's actually support it if they don't have 12 bit panels with the ability to show the 64 billion colors?

Serious question here. I can see why I'd want it in my receiver as I want it to be able to pass those signals through one day if I upgrade TV's, but if a current TV can't really show it now, I'd have to upgrade to another new TV eventually to show it anyway, right? Will Dolby Vision movies work on Samsung?

maybe I'm misunderstanding what the HDR10+ and Dolby Vision thing really is with regards to today's available TV's.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Doing more reading here................ continuing the analysis paralysis...................

If Dolby Vision requires a 12 bit panel to actually do it's thing, and current TV's are only 10 bit panels, is there any real benefit to it in a current TV purchase? How do non-Samsung TV's actually support it if they don't have 12 bit panels with the ability to show the 64 billion colors?

Serious question here. I can see why I'd want it in my receiver as I want it to be able to pass those signals through one day if I upgrade TV's, but if a current TV can't really show it now, I'd have to upgrade to another new TV eventually to show it anyway, right? Will Dolby Vision movies work on Samsung?

maybe I'm misunderstanding what the HDR10+ and Dolby Vision thing really is with regards to today's available TV's.
They all are backwards compatible to HDR10 anyhow. There’s more support for Dolby Vision over HDR10+ from the content I’m aware of. HDR10+ is only on a few UHD discs but may grow over time. Doesn’t seem like it so far though.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Hdr10+ really doesn’t matter over hdr. Dolby vision doesn’t really matter either. Dolby on Sony doesn’t look like Dolby on oled lg. The best hdr tv is lg oled and after that is tcl 8. Samsung and Sony really darken picture in hdr. 10 bit vs 12 bit is a big issue. Pick the tv that has higher contrast, higher peak brightness, best black uniformity, lowest light bleed, best motion and best os. Coming from plasmas I can’t stand light bleed. Tv needs to be all same shade of black for letterbox. If a tv has this issue it needs to be returned.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
The 77" OLED models are too wide to fit by 3/8", which sucks.

Just couldn't bring myself to get comfy on the TCL even though I get that it's a great option. But, I ultimately ruled it out due to lack of apple play, the roku interface (I'm not a fan personally), and the fact that most reviews indicate it needs calibration to get the colors more in line and the settings maximized. I realize these are not issues to other people so I'll leave my opinion and reasoning at that. This video was one of the final things I reviewed in my decision: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tcl+8+series+vs+sony+x950h&&view=detail&mid=321C8E9640C34E79AE6B321C8E9640C34E79AE6B&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=tcl+8+series+vs+sony+x950h&FORM=HDRSC3

The Q90 looks nice but didn't support Dolby Vision for what it appears to be worth, and it is well over $3k in 75" and not enough less than the 77" model OLED models in my opinion.

So, I stayed middle of the road somewhat and just moved up to the 75" version of the Sony X950H. Should get delivered next Monday as it had to be ordered.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure it will seem like a huge upgrade over our 2014 model 60" samsung that it is replacing. :)

Last edited:
Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Should work out, I understand it’s hard picking a tv.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
@9397SVTs hook up the Parasound and see if it's a noticeable difference in regular use....
I don't have enough cables, so I ordered some from BJC. I should have everything switched around and running early next week.

I got several LC-1's and a few Ten White's.

If I'm not mistaken, when I run the multi-channel SACD in Pure/Direct through the AVR, the processing and bass management is by-passed. This would obviously run the speakers full range and they dip below 4ohms. Using a more powerful amp should do a better job of feeding the speakers with out being stressed; let alone, running out of capability.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have enough cables, so I ordered some from BJC. I should have everything switched around and running early next week.

I got several LC-1's and a few Ten White's.

If I'm not mistaken, when I run the multi-channel SACD in Pure/Direct through the AVR, the processing and bass management is by-passed. This would obviously run the speakers full range and they dip below 4ohms. Using a more powerful amp should do a better job of feeding the speakers with out being stressed; let alone, running out of capability.
LOL I have a filing cabinet drawer full of cables/supplies, I can always hook anything up quickly :) or make some. Sometimes I think everyone is like that.

If you're using multich analog outs then the SACD player would perform processing and any desired bass management duties, does your player have such? Mine does....but I still just use HDMI.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
LOL I have a filing cabinet drawer full of cables/supplies, I can always hook anything up quickly :) or make some. Sometimes I think everyone is like that.

If you're using multich analog outs then the SACD player would perform processing and any desired bass management duties, does your player have such? Mine does....but I still just use HDMI.
I'm using HDMI out on the Sony Blu-Ray. On the specific AVR input, I then select Pure/Direct.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis