Amp with existing receiver?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Why stop there? Get a hybrid, one tube section for the mids and highs, and solid state for the woofer...

Years ago, back in the 90's, I had a setup with 1.6QR maggies and a higher end CD/SACD player (can't remember which one now) connected to one of the Pathos Classic One hybrid tube amps via XLR balanced connections and it was wonderful. By all respects, it was technically underpowered for the speakers, but it drove them just fine for the small room I had them in. Wish I still had it.

https://www.audiopursuit.com/2019/04/pathos-classic-one-mk-iii.html

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One of the ASR members like the review indicated....and the member often pops up in the ensuing thread.
If I remember right, the 3600, 3700 and 4700 were sent in by members and as you said they did pop up..
The flag ship 8500 should be up within one week and it was sent by another member who also "popped up" here before.

Amir did mention Denon was to send him a 3600 if they can find one, that apparently was requested by some members who wanted to see if another random sample would measure as good, or the one measured was an aberration, that just happened to be exceptionally good.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I've been thinking about this some more. With the Canton 596.2 / 556.2 set inbound, I'm wanting to seriously consider a new head unit sooner rather than later so I can take advantage of the new speakers, but so I can use the old receiver with my deftech 800 speakers in our new garage gym also.

I'm really drawn towards separates still. I'll need to make an initial concession now and upgrade to better processor later. I'm still tossing around these options:

> Outlaw Audio 976/7000x set
> Emotiva XMC-1 refurbished (not sure which amp)
> Denon X3700H
> Yamaha 3080

I know you guys mention the Denon tests better but I really want the features of separates and I'm still stuck on wanting XLR capabilities. The Yamaha is the sort of compromise in that I get a few XLR's. These are entry level separates, but they get me into that direction and I can upgrade each piece separately later if needed. I will only be using TV, Cable HDMI, Xbox One (my son) and DVD/CD. The setup needs to be somewhat family friendly to control too. Any thoughts on the above equipment or similarly priced items?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've been thinking about this some more. With the Canton 596.2 / 556.2 set inbound, I'm wanting to seriously consider a new head unit sooner rather than later so I can take advantage of the new speakers, but so I can use the old receiver with my deftech 800 speakers in our new garage gym also.

I'm really drawn towards separates still. I'll need to make an initial concession now and upgrade to better processor later. I'm still tossing around these options:

> Denon X3700H

I know you guys mention the Denon tests better but I really want the features of separates and I'm still stuck on wanting XLR capabilities. These are entry level separates, but they get me into that direction and I can upgrade each piece separately later if needed. Any thoughts on the above equipment or similarly priced items?
The Denon has a lot to offer, and xlr cables don't make since you won't get any audible benefits on short runs. You could always use neutrik adapters if you really want them cables...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Which TV do you own? If 4K, is it HDR10 or HDR10+ or Dolby Vision?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm really drawn towards separates still...I really want the features of separates and I'm still stuck on wanting XLR capabilities.
If you absolutely want separates, I would look for the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro, which Gene used to own and has state of the art measurements from Audioholics. Price might be around $1600 + shipping.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

> Denon X3700H
> Yamaha 3080
a
I know you guys mention the Denon tests better but I really want the features of separates and I'm still stuck on wanting XLR capabilities. The Yamaha is the sort of compromise in that I get a few XLR's. These are entry level separates, but they get me into that direction and I can upgrade each piece separately later if needed. I will only be using TV, Cable HDMI, Xbox One (my son) and DVD/CD. The setup needs to be somewhat family friendly to control too. Any thoughts on the above equipment or similarly priced items?
You would be good with the limited audio/video capabilities of the Outlaw prepro? Personally am still happy with 1080p and 7.1 setups and have no current plans to get into my ceilings for Atmos type speakers. We'll see how the old plasmas hold up before I'd consider changing out to 4k....

What would separates offer over avr, aside from the basic separation of duties, except perhaps XLR in the way of different features, tho?

While I have just avrs for multich I do have a couple of old analog 2ch preamps, but just haven't found the need for separates for the multich av setups but otoh I'm a bit thrifty. I've used additional amps with various avrs, I would always get preouts for the flexibility, but don't find a particular need for them at current listening levels. I've no need for xlr particularly, altho I have a few amps that can accept such. If I did go separates I think I'd probably go with Marantz or Yamaha for pre-pro, and lean towards Marantz due familiarity with Denon. I'd probably go with a Monolith Amp, or maybe an ATI built Outlaw, if not just an ATI amp. Now, if money were no limit (i.e. spending someone else's :) ), the Trinnov Altitude pre-pro would be what I'd get and ATI's best amps. If I were buying a new avr I'd probably start with the Denon 3700 and add amps as necessary.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Which TV do you own? If 4K, is it HDR10 or HDR10+ or Dolby Vision?
It's a new Samsung Q80T 65" model that I bought about a week ago. But seeing it doesn't have Dolby Vision, I think I'm going to go exchange it for a Sony 950 65" instead.

EDIT: Just got back from BB. Returned the Q80T and picked up a Sony X950H. The sales guy basically told me backwards on the Samsung and said it had Dolby Vision, which is incorrect. The Sony does though, so looking forward to having it instead.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Unless

You would be good with the limited audio/video capabilities of the Outlaw prepro? Personally am still happy with 1080p and 7.1 setups and have no current plans to get into my ceilings for Atmos type speakers. We'll see how the old plasmas hold up before I'd consider changing out to 4k....

What would separates offer over avr, aside from the basic separation of duties, except perhaps XLR in the way of different features, tho?

While I have just avrs for multich I do have a couple of old analog 2ch preamps, but just haven't found the need for separates for the multich av setups but otoh I'm a bit thrifty. I've used additional amps with various avrs, I would always get preouts for the flexibility, but don't find a particular need for them at current listening levels. I've no need for xlr particularly, altho I have a few amps that can accept such. If I did go separates I think I'd probably go with Marantz or Yamaha for pre-pro, and lean towards Marantz due familiarity with Denon. I'd probably go with a Monolith Amp, or maybe an ATI built Outlaw, if not just an ATI amp. Now, if money were no limit (i.e. spending someone else's :) ), the Trinnov Altitude pre-pro would be what I'd get and ATI's best amps. If I were buying a new avr I'd probably start with the Denon 3700 and add amps as necessary.

Good luck with your search!

As mentioned, XLR don't do much now but I'm trying to future proof some of my purchases. I like having XLR for some uses down the road even if not used right now. I would like having good amps so I'm only upgrading processing later if needed. Just like the flexibility of it I guess.

Of course, budget is a concern which is why I'm looking at the entry level models and/or refurbished/used. I have to get some sort of processor and some sort of amp to get started in that route, and then can upgrade as I go. I'd rather get an entry level or prior model processor but better amp if I go that route.

Of course, I'm not ruling out a Denon 3700 or Yamaha 3080 or similar as it would probably be easier for my family to use.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

> Denon X3700H
> Yamaha 3080

For a complicated AVP/C I just don't trust Emotiva. Why would I spend so much more on an AVP/C and then if something doesn't sound right, I may second guess that it is because of some unknown bugs or some hidden issues that caused the weird looking linearity measurement revealed in the ASR measurements.

If the FL/FR balanced connections are good enough for you, I would go with the Yamaha 3080, but since you prefer the so called "separates", i.e. obviously AVP/AVC in your case, then for a little more, why not go for the CX-A5200? If it was my money though, I would wait for the CX-A5300 and see if Yamaha fixed the much higher THD+N issues with the XLR outputs.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
For a complicated AVP/C I just don't trust Emotiva. Why would I spend so much more on an AVP/C and then if something doesn't sound right, I may second guess that it is because of some unknown bugs or some hidden issues that caused the weird looking linearity measurement revealed in the ASR measurements.

If the FL/FR balanced connections are good enough for you, I would go with the Yamaha 3080, but since you prefer the so called "separates", i.e. obviously AVP/AVC in your case, then for a little more, why not go for the CX-A5200? If it was my money though, I would wait for the CX-A5300 and see if Yamaha fixed the much higher THD+N issues with the XLR outputs.

Makes sense Peng. Thanks.

So looking back at the Yamaha 3080 vs the Denon 3700 as a stop gap to later upgrade to possible full yamaha separates in a year or two, does it make sense to stick with yamaha off the bat, or is the 3700 really that much better on all fronts? Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I think comparing the Yamaha 3080 to the Denon 3700 isn't fair as the Yamaha is the flagship, the 3700 is down Denon's pecking order to an extent. Or am I missing you can get the same price or something?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I understand that part and maybe I should be comparing against the 4700 denon or something. I'm sure the yamaha doesn't compare to the 8700 or whatever it's called Denon. But, earlier you guys were saying that the denon had better features in some areas, whether I'm looking at the 3700/4700 or the higher line. I like some things about the yamaha like the XLR, familiar feel to a prior receiver, etc. But I'm not sure what else I'd be giving up, just like I didn't catch the Dolby Vision thing with the Q80T TV until it was posted above. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a new Samsung Q80T 65" model that I bought about a week ago. But seeing it doesn't have Dolby Vision, I think I'm going to go exchange it for a Sony 950 65" instead.

EDIT: Just got back from BB. Returned the Q80T and picked up a Sony X950H. The sales guy basically told me backwards on the Samsung and said it had Dolby Vision, which is incorrect. The Sony does though, so looking forward to having it instead.
Why not get an 85" TV? :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't understand the focus on XLR connections. Unless you have really long runs there really is no difference is there? If that's what makes you consider spending more I don't think it's worth it.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I don't understand the focus on XLR connections. Unless you have really long runs there really is no difference is there? If that's what makes you consider spending more I don't think it's worth it.
I don't have an immediate need as mentioned but want to buy something that will carry forward into the future unknown. It's about having a more future proofed setup in my head. That's all.......

Think of it in the same terms of overkill as you guys telling me I need two to four 15 to 18 inch subs when a pair of 12's might do. Just wanted the feature to be a part of my build this time.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Okay, I'm sure some of you are not going to agree with my direction based on the comments about the Denon 3600/3700 test results, but I decided to order a New with warranty Yamaha RX-A3080. Went that route to take advantage of BB 24mo zero interest and based on my prior refurb experience I was gun-shy on that route. Also it's much easier to deal with BB locally for returns if there is an issue. Should get it around the 10th.

This will give me a basic setup of:

Sony X950H 65" monitor
Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver
Canton SL 596.2 main L/R speakers
Canton SL 556.2 center speaker
SVS PC-2000 sub (although I'm sort of rethinking this one in favor of a few others)
And DefTech Promonitor 800 rear surround and front upper effect speakers (until I can upgrade them later to matching cantons)

I'm running basically a 5.1.2 setup at moment with the front atmos speakers wall mounted rather than ceiling. I'm intrigued with the speaker top 500 series atmos speakers from canton though, as I'm guessing they would replace my front wall mounted speakers.

On the sub-front, I'm back thinking about smaller 12" or 15" sealed dual subs but that may not be the best route with the ported cantons.

Sorry, I know I'm all over the board here. I'm done with upgrades for now unless I exchange the sub. This will allow me to get the old receiver and front 3 deftech speakers into my garage gym, along with the deftech prosub 800 once I get it repaired. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis