Amp with existing receiver?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, as you've probably seen, I'm learning on the fly here. Why? help me see and understand the why part of it so I can get there too. Thanks. :)
You just ordered a sub that you haven't even heard yet why would you think about changing it? And I'm just not a fan of sealed subwoofers they just don't put out like a ported one would

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understand that part and maybe I should be comparing against the 4700 denon or something. I'm sure the yamaha doesn't compare to the 8700 or whatever it's called Denon. But, earlier you guys were saying that the denon had better features in some areas, whether I'm looking at the 3700/4700 or the higher line. I like some things about the yamaha like the XLR, familiar feel to a prior receiver, etc. But I'm not sure what else I'd be giving up, just like I didn't catch the Dolby Vision thing with the Q80T TV until it was posted above. Thanks.
Yeah it really doesn't compare to the 8500....in features nor price I think. Probably closer to the 6500/6700.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
You just ordered a sub that you haven't even heard yet why would you think about changing it? And I'm just not a fan of sealed subwoofers they just don't put out like a ported one would
Well, I went through that ordeal of picking the current one based on not having anything in front really but now that I'll have front stage floor speakers sticking 12" out from wall, give or take, I was wondering if a sub could sit with them. That's really why I started thinking it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I went through that ordeal of picking the current one based on not having anything in front really but now that I'll have front stage floor speakers sticking 12" out from wall, give or take, I was wondering if a sub could sit with them. That's really why I started thinking it.
Yes it could sit with them. Get the system set up. I think your going to be Extremely Happy. Stop second guessing.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Want to spend money. Get those Outlaw 2200's to run your Floorstanders. I'm not saying you have to but it just seems like you want to spend money that's where I would spend it

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Want to spend money. Get those Outlaw 2200's to run your Floorstanders. I'm not saying you have to but it just seems like you want to spend money that's where I would spend it

LOL............ I'm done for the moment. But the Yamaha was partly chosen to meet both family friendly needs of an AVR, but to allow some expandability like separate front stage amps as time goes by. But, I'm not ready for that yet. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I'm sure some of you are not going to agree with my direction based on the comments about the Denon 3600/3700 test results, but I decided to order a New with warranty Yamaha RX-A3080. Went that route to take advantage of BB 24mo zero interest and based on my prior refurb experience I was gun-shy on that route. Also it's much easier to deal with BB locally for returns if there is an issue. Should get it around the 10th.

This will give me a basic setup of:

Sony X950H 65" monitor
Yamaha RX-A3080 receiver
Canton SL 596.2 main L/R speakers
Canton SL 556.2 center speaker
SVS PC-2000 sub (although I'm sort of rethinking this one in favor of a few others)
And DefTech Promonitor 800 rear surround and front upper effect speakers (until I can upgrade them later to matching cantons)

I'm running basically a 5.1.2 setup at moment with the front atmos speakers wall mounted rather than ceiling. I'm intrigued with the speaker top 500 series atmos speakers from canton though, as I'm guessing they would replace my front wall mounted speakers.

On the sub-front, I'm back thinking about smaller 12" or 15" sealed dual subs but that may not be the best route with the ported cantons.

Sorry, I know I'm all over the board here. I'm done with upgrades for now unless I exchange the sub. This will allow me to get the old receiver and front 3 deftech speakers into my garage gym, along with the deftech prosub 800 once I get it repaired. :)
Well, you know I highly approve of the Yamaha RX-A3080. :D

Among the highest reliability and quality, best WiFi Remote app, probably the best WiFi music streaming, 300W x 2Ch into 4 ohms, most likely don’t even need any kind of external amps until you are well and ready to jump into separates and get the next CX-A pre-pro (probably CX-A5300).

Don’t want to start too much fire (fire armor ready :D), but along the lines of reliability and longevity, you might do some research into externally powered subs since separates are supposed to be the most reliable and all that. :D

You want true separates? Don’t put amps inside processors, speakers, and subs. Go all the way baby. Don’t hold back now. :D

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Well, you know I highly approve of the Yamaha RX-A3080. :D

Among the highest reliability and quality, best WiFi Remote app, probably the best WiFi music streaming, 300W x 2Ch into 4 ohms, most likely don’t even need any kind of external amps until you are well and ready to jump into separates and get the next CX-A pre-pro (probably CX-A5300).

Don’t want to start too much fire (fire armor ready :D), but along the lines of reliability and longevity, you might do some research into externally powered subs since separates are supposed to be the most reliable and all that. :D

You want true separates? Don’t put amps inside processors, speakers, and subs. Go all the way baby. Don’t hold back now. :D
Shame it doesn't also have pre-in (multi-ch input) connections. That would help me upgrade to separates by getting a processor first and using the 3080 for amps until I could save for the amps. This whole business with A/V these days is just overwhelming trying to pin down. If I were only interested in another movie-only box I'd have just gotten one of the 3600/3700 type receivers and been done. But I'd like to have options later for upgrades or changes. Whether that is a separate music room, or move to separates, or whatever. Not saying the others can't do it also, but this one seems to have a lot to offer in that regards and I've had Yamaha before and liked it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What ever it's called. RCA line in for each amp so you can feed it from an outside processor and bypass the built in processor. Not sure what that's called.... LOL
Multi-ch inputs on Denon/Marantz....not sure if Yamaha has a specific term for it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Some of the previous high-end AVRs from Yamaha and Harman/Kardon, had multi-channel pre-outs and main-ins. So basically one could run the pre-outs to an external component amplifier, plus for more flexibility run different line inputs into the main-ins such as for Zone 2 or 3. Today many have the multi-channel pre-outs but very few if any have main-ins....
Also previously many AVRs had a 7.1 multi-channel line inputs for connecting a DVD player that had a 7.1 line output, I think Marantz is the only brand that still provide on certain higher-end models.... However today since the AVR rear panels have so many ins/outs many of these connections have been deleted such as the main-ins due to obsolete technology and/or the single HDMI cable..

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the previous high-end AVRs from Yamaha and Harman/Kardon, had multi-channel pre-outs and main-ins. So basically one could run the pre-outs to an external component amplifier, plus for more flexibility run different line inputs into the main-ins such as for Zone 2 or 3. Also previously many AVRs had a 7.1 multi-channel for connecting a DVD player that had a 7.1 line output, I think Marantz is the only brand that still provide on certain higher-end models.... However today since the AVR rear panels have so many ins/outs many of these connections have been deleted such as the main-ins due to obsolete technology and/or the single HDMI cable..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Now why would a dvd player need 7.1 ? :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Some of the previous high-end AVRs from Yamaha and Harman/Kardon, had multi-channel pre-outs and main-ins. So basically one could run the pre-outs to an external component amplifier, plus for more flexibility run different line inputs into the main-ins such as for Zone 2 or 3. Today many have the multi-channel pre-outs but very few if any have main-ins....
Also previously many AVRs had a 7.1 multi-channel line inputs for connecting a DVD player that had a 7.1 line output, I think Marantz is the only brand that still provide on certain higher-end models.... However today since the AVR rear panels have so many ins/outs many of these connections have been deleted such as the main-ins due to obsolete technology and/or the single HDMI cable..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Some flagship NAD ones also had multi-channel pre-outs and main-ins. I used to own a T-763 AVR with which power amps were becoming defective. Two of them let me down so I decided to discard it. Two many crammed components in a single chassis, and. as you know, the situation is still continuing on with even more channels being added with most other brands as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Both my Denons have 7.1 multich ins but don't use them....

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Some flagship NAD ones also had multi-channel pre-outs and main-ins. I used to own a T-763 AVR with which power amps were becoming defective. Two of them let me down so I decided to discard it. Two many crammed components in a single chassis, and. as you know, the situation is still continuing on with even more channels being added with most other brands as well.
thats one of the things i like about the 3080. they didn't stuff 11 powered channels in, and the back is a little cleaner. tried to keep components higher quality and focus on sound. (yes I know it didn't rate as high as the denons on the tests. LOL)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Missing the point or are you aware of dvd being 7.1 capable?
Because some early DVD software were encoded with THX 6.1EX or DTS 6.1, also certain DVD players had decoders beyond 5.1, with 6.1 & 7.1 decoders on-board. Note here the media may be only encoded 5.1 but the player had on-board decoding for 5.1 and/or the capability for outputting 6.1/7.1... But again the DVD ICs lacked a bass manager function, Harman/Kardon on certain AVRs actually had an analog >digital encoder providing a bass manger function for taking the 5.1/7.1 analog line inputs. By digitizing them through a multi-channel A/D converters feeding into the DSP so that all of the loudspeaker settings for x-over filters, levels were consistent for all digital and analog sources.

Just my $0.02... ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis