The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, judge Judy isn’t really THAT awesome. Just pointing out that we get a big variety here. And again, not every is super awesome. But the more stuff you go through, the more you find.

For Atmos/DTS-X I just select the Atmos /DTS-x track.
For upmixing, it depends really. DSU for music only. For other stuff I probably use dtsnx more, but it really just depends. You’ll have to spend LOTS of time evaluating content. That’s the best part!
Ohhhhhhh Judge Judy in surround atmos style sounds kind off hot! :D............:oops:..... On second thought after further review I think I'll just stay with my ports!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks,

Not trying to talk myself out of it, more into it, I have some time as my home is built to decide if it's worth doing it now or later. It's just hard to find scenarios like stated above (legacy content) and user experiences. As you can imagine it would be a shame to setup a 4 channel Atmos and then not hear it. Unfortunately I read experiences like that a lot and people struggling to find content for it. But it seems there's plenty out there now, so maybe that information was dated. So I'm much more interested in the up-mixing ability to have Atmos enabled in anything put through it and if that experience is decent, then real Atmos content would be good too, but mainly interested in the daily grind with legacy content.

Very best,
The biggest part I think people miss out on when they complain about not hearing so much atmos stuff is due to improper setup of the system or using crappy speakers for surrounds or overheads

You have to do it right and go all in like when you set up your 5.1 and it's not crazy expensive to do it either if your taking it seriously

We can help you if you decide you want to try it with setting it up properly

You can learn from all our things we did right and things we did wrong

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm not being a jerk but how can you honestly give him feedback on how atmos tracks will sound when you don't own an Atmos system?
I didn't mention how Atmos sound. It sounds good, however the amount content is minuscule. Home Atmos, in my opinion, isn't supported enough to justify the investment.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't mention how Atmos sound. It sounds good, however the amount content is minuscule. Home Atmos, in my opinion, isn't supported enough to justify the investment.
Fair enough but I have to disagree. Upmixes sound incredible on my anthem avm 60

It can take a stereo signal and just make some incredible mixes out of a ton of even older content. I've enjoyed a lot of my older 7.1 and 5.1 disc content as never before

And as far as streaming same thing it will take a 2.0 signal and just make it sound amazing on a lot of content then give it like the standard 5.1 mixed with a few tweaks here and there it sounds AMAZE BALLS

Not to mention how good an actual atmos disc really sounds not all of them but a lot

What I really like whether it's upmix ed or truly atmos is the IMMERSION.

I played that movie Hansel and Gretel Witch hunters the gory action one just a 5.1 or 7.1 dts track and with my upmix ed in dtsit was incredible man. The forest scenes sounded like you were really there man in the forest all around you

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If your not willing to invest then yeah a great 5.1 or 7.1 will be better but the nice thing is you can always layer it in later if you change your mind plus you have to research and invest in a good 5.1 or 7.1 anyways you get out what you put in

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE???????
Your statements are abysmal.
There are literally HUNDREDS of Atmos and dtsx titles. HUNDREDS!!!!!
Vudu Hulu Disney+ Netflix BD uhd redbox. Yeah, disk has one foot in the grave.
Go piss on your own fukkin parade.
Netflix is offering is a joke. Name me one Netflix "A" title with Atmos encoding? Netflix will offer some of their own titles with Atmos but not top titles released from other studios. Amazon Prime only offers the Jack Ryan series with Atmos, it's a joke. It just seems like it to me that Amazon refuse to offer Atmos when most of their devices are capable of Atmos playback. As I said, UHD Blu Ray is more committed to the immersive audio experience by release disc with Atmos and DTS-X encoding, but it optical disc is headed towards obsolescence. When I go to stores like, Best Buy, Walmart or Target, I see less and less optical disc, its eerily similar to what I saw happening to Audio CD's.

We must face it, the last great optical disc format was DVD. BTW, hundreds of titles of UHD disc isn't good enough, we need thousands for the format to be successful like DVD and I don't see that happening.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think you are getting it. This past CES, do you realize there were no new UHD blu ray players displayed? Do you really believe studios will get behind a format that's not supported by hardware?
Maybe I’m not getting it. But you aren’t either. My point isn’t about the “disk based” nature of the format. It’s the amount of titles that you keep saying is NIL. Well I disagree, and I wish you’d stop saying they’re not out there. Everybody knows disks are on the way out. Duh! But the format isn’t dead. It’s alive and well.
I don’t know why you have to publicly justify why you have no interest.
Almost everyone in this thread already has an Atmos capable system.
And as @danzilla and @panteragstk and ADTG mentioned. The upmixers are great. So go have fun with your tv speakers.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used DSU listening to the latest Tool album and had an interesting experience.

One thing with this album is that it was MUCH louder with DSU engaged. I hadn't really noticed that with Pink Floyd or other things I've used it on. Granted, this is the first rock/metal album I've tried it on so that might be common.

I do like the decisions the DSU made though. Really didn't mess around and sound was EVERYWHERE. Not subtle at all like on other things. Interesting.
I think DSU does a nice job on Fear Inoculum. I have noticed the front stage is a little “looser on CCT but it’s not a deal breaker. The intro sounds so cool panning all around my room, in a circle. It’s all good.
I noticed that PLIIx used to put random instruments in odd locations in my room. Not always, but I have not had that with DSU.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe I’m not getting it. It you aren’t either. My point isn’t about the “disk based” nature of the format. It’s the amount of titles. That you keep saying is NIL. Well I disagree, and I wish you’d stop saying they’re not out there. Everybody knows disks are on the way out. Duh! But the format isn’t dead.
I don’t know why you don’t have to publicly justify why you have no interest.
Almost everyone in this thread already has an Atmos capable system.
And as @danzilla and @panteragstk and ADTG mentioned. The upmixers are great. So go have fun with your tv speakers.
I think when discs finally die out is when you'll see streaming companies push towards formatting in 4k

Although we keep saying discs are out but if theater chains don't survive this covid crap I'm wondering that may be one of the best options Studios would have left other then streaming may be they'd stream it first then disc it after

Regardless upmixing kicks ass and totally is worth it for all of the streaming platforms I use

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think you are getting it. This past CES, do you realize there were no new UHD blu ray players displayed? Do you really believe studios will get behind a format that's not supported by hardware?
That argument doesn't make sense right now they are pumping out 8k recievers and TVs and there are literally none I mean zilch hardware to support them so yeah I think studios and other companies will get behind formats not supported by hardware or heck the format itself

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I think when discs finally die out is when you'll see streaming companies push towards formatting in 4k

Although we keep saying discs are out but if theater chains don't survive this covid crap I'm wondering that may be one of the best options Studios would have left other then streaming may be they'd stream it first then disc it after

Regardless upmixing kicks ass and totally is worth it for all of the streaming platforms I use
I think you will also see the streaming costs go up too...just like cable has. More bandwith mea s more money to them.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think DSU does a nice job on Fear Inoculum. I have noticed the front stage is a little “looser on CCT but it’s not a deal breaker. The intro sounds so cool panning all around my room, in a circle. It’s all good.
I noticed that PLIIx used to put random instruments in odd locations in my room. Not always, but I have not had that with DSU.
Any excuse for listening to Fear Inoculum... Love that album! :)

I need to dust off the RSL C34E and install them next week. :)

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic

I saw something the other day that showed how much kickback they get in theaters vs streaming. It is considerably more from streaming.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That argument doesn't make sense right now they are pumping out 8k recievers and TVs and there are literally none I mean zilch hardware to support them so yeah I think studios and other companies will get behind formats not supported by hardware or heck the format itself
I really have to SMH on the 8K thing. I really don't understand how they're going to sell 8K TV's without content. Netflix will not be streaming 8K anytime soon. The vast majority of their content is still 1080p and not 4K. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a 8K receiver, but I wouldn't spend extra for it. I guess they know 8K is not enough that's why they're offering more features.

With that said, don't hold your breath waiting for an UHD 8K Blu Ray player and without 8K Blu Ray players in the consumer market, what purpose would there be for studios to release UHD 8K disc? As far as I'm concerned, there's tepid support for UHD 4K disc. Optical disc is going out, its not the future. As you know Samsung quit making them and so did Oppo. Samsung bowing out of optical disc was the death nail, the other companies are soon to follow, as I said before, there weren't any new UHD Blu Ray disc players displayed at 2020 CES, that's all you need to know.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I really have to SMH on the 8K thing. I really don't understand how they're going to sell 8K TV's without content. Netflix will not be streaming 8K anytime soon. The vast majority of their content is still 1080p and not 4K. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a 8K receiver, but I wouldn't spend extra for it. I guess they know 8K is not enough that's why they're offering more features.

With that said, don't hold your breath waiting for an UHD 8K Blu Ray player and without 8K Blu Ray players in the consumer market, what purpose would there be for studios to release UHD 8K disc? As far as I'm concerned, there's tepid support for UHD 4K disc. Optical disc is going out, its not the future. As you know Samsung quit making them and so did Oppo. Samsung bowing out of optical disc was the death nail, the other companies are soon to follow, as I said before, there weren't any new UHD Blu Ray disc players displayed at 2020 CES, that's all you need to know.
Well see how this COVID crap plays out if theaters don't bounce back disc and streaming are the only way to go although in my city stuff is getting so crazy I think I'm going to be doing a lot of streaming right now

Going out only if necessary for awhile

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
8k is just stupid. The majority of TVs actually in homes isn’t 4K yet, and the added resolution isn’t effective at normal viewing distances anyway. HDR is more beneficial so it’s frustrating to see any mention of 8k when the adoption rate of 4K is still like 30% and a lot of people don’t even really care. It’s just a number. Oooh! 4K!!! Must be better than 2k.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis