Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amp unites analog and digital audio

O

onyx cat

Audioholic Intern
I do understand about the speakers , I am going to get a Klipch Sub woofer this week , it is on sale for 500.00 , was 650.00 , the Amp I have now is a Yam. AS301 and not a 501 , will be getting a 801 this week , will also be looking for better speakers soon as well when I can afford them , remember I am now on a retirement income . If I can swing it in maybe a year from now will get better speakers that maybe are a little "darker" to play old records and some recordings that at way to much compressed , any commits about that harshness on streaming ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do understand about the speakers , I am going to get a Klipch Sub woofer this week , it is on sale for 500.00 , was 650.00 , the Amp I have now is a Yam. AS301 and not a 501 , will be getting a 801 this week , will also be looking for better speakers soon as well when I can afford them , remember I am now on a retirement income . If I can swing it in maybe a year from now will get better speakers that maybe are a little "darker" to play old records and some recordings that at way to much compressed , any commits about that harshness on streaming ?
I'd hold off on changing amp especially if money is an issue, that will yield your least chance of improvement. Especially if getting a sub, why get an integrated amp with no bass mangement? Why would you want a Klipsch sub? Which one is it?

So you were changing tweeters in the RTi A7?

O

onyx cat

Audioholic Intern
I have the Polk Audio Rti A7 , will be getting a Klipch Sub this coming week

O

onyx cat

Audioholic Intern
I'd hold off on changing amp especially if money is an issue, that will yield your least chance of improvement. Especially if getting a sub, why get an integrated amp with no bass mangement? Why would you want a Klipsch sub? Which one is it?

So you were changing tweeters in the RTi A7?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd still get the speaker before the amp, but the 301 is a little light on power so I can see an argument there too. Still, it doesn't matter as far as your sound quality goes. You'll be able to play louder but I'm positive the 801 will sound the same.

Which Klipsch sub are you looking at? They make 2 models that I know of that are okay, but for the most part speaker manufacturers in general tend to fall down on subwoofers. Right now SVS, HSU, Rythmik, PSA, RSL are great value, and I know there are a couple more... anyhoo, all those guys make excellent subwoofers. Depending on your room size HSU is usually your best bang for buck, but RSL has a great little sub for $399 that punches way above its weight class. How big is your room?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@onyx cat the quotes you've posted have no content, particularly when you quoted your own post....need help?

O

onyx cat

Audioholic Intern
To get more Bass , . I changed the tweeters to try to get rid of this harsh Hi's on vocals , the Klipsch R112SW Sub

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Changing tweeters out with what tweeters? Without crossover modifications?

O

onyx cat

Audioholic Intern
Do not know what resistors or coils to use in the cross overs , just trying things , Used Pearless titatium dome tweeters (sorry about the spelling ) , they only cost 70.00 for the pair and still have the silk dome tweeters that cam with the Polks , did not have to cut holes , for 70.00 why not try it and see what happens , they are 4 ohm tweeters , that is just the DC resistance as the stock ones measured the same , I know impeadence (sp) is different .. I do like pearless ones better but the dispersion is not as good .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do not know what resistors or coils to use in the cross overs , just trying things , Used Pearless titatium dome tweeters (sorry about the spelling ) , they only cost 70.00 for the pair and still have the silk dome tweeters that cam with the Polks , did not have to cut holes , for 70.00 why not try it and see what happens , they are 4 ohm tweeters , that is just the DC resistance as the stock ones measured the same , I know impeadence (sp) is different .. I do like pearless ones better but the dispersion is not as good .
Ouch.

Yeah, anytime you change drivers or tweeters you need an entire crossover redesign. And that's provided the tweeters you pick happen to play well with the rest of the system. Honestly I think you'd be better off spending 70 bucks on budget speakers. From everything you're describing to us you sound like you have a speaker issue. Chasing after DACs and amplification won't net you any better results. I strongly suggest you hit the reset button and shop some speakers. Once you find a pair that'll do it for you then you can look at more amplification. I'd make that the "year down the road" goal and put the funds into speakers asap.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@onyx cat sounds like maybe too much bad influence from being in the "high end" audio sales business?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@onyx cat sounds like maybe too much bad influence from being in the "high end" audio sales business?
I can't imagine anyone, even on the snake oil side, recommending swapping out tweeters like that. That could have a big impact on overall impedance too, right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't imagine anyone, even on the snake oil side, recommending swapping out tweeters like that. That could have a big impact on overall impedance too, right?
Just randomly changing tweeters based on diameter of the cutout in the baffle is.....baffling :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To get more Bass , . I changed the tweeters to try to get rid of this harsh Hi's on vocals , the Klipsch R112SW Sub
If you need more power, you can save some money if you can find a used older models such as the A-S700 that is more like a real integrated amp. If you are practical minded, you could do even better by going with a last year model AVR.

Not that it would sound different but to go with the A-S801 would seem like a case of paying more for less. It is basically an 2 channel AVR with the video section, tuner and some of the amp channels removed. The rest of the components such as the preamp/vol control chip are basically the same sort of outdated/discontinued chips used in some of Yamaha AVRs. I know because I have read the service manuals. Then they added a mediocre DAC, the ES9010K2M that was mainly targeted for portable audio such as mobile phones, digital music players etc. You would be much better off with an integrated amp without a build in DAC as there are much better external DACs for less than $200.

Why are people so attracted to entry level integrated amps such as the A-S801 I have no idea. If one believes AVRs are no good for 2 channel music, then they should go for real separates, or at least real integrated amps, not AVR based ones. That's just my opinion.

O

onyx cat

Audioholic Intern
If you need more power, you can save some money if you can find a used older models such as the A-S700 that is more like a real integrated amp. If you are practical minded, you could do even better by going with a last year model AVR.

Not that it would sound different but to go with the A-S801 would seem like a case of paying more for less. It is basically an 2 channel AVR with the video section, tuner and some of the amp channels removed. The rest of the components such as the preamp/vol control chip are basically the same sort of outdated/discontinued chips used in some of Yamaha AVRs. I know because I have read the service manuals. Then they added a mediocre DAC, the ES9010K2M that was mainly targeted for portable audio such as mobile phones, digital music players etc. You would be much better off with an integrated amp without a build in DAC as there are much better external DACs for less than $200.

Why are people so attracted to entry level integrated amps such as the A-S801 I have no idea. If one believes AVRs are no good for 2 channel music, then they should go for real separates, or at least real integrated amps, not AVR based ones. That's just my opinion.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis