Outlaw 5000 vs Crown XLS 1002 vs Monolith 5X

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
So, I have a couple of questions for you all:

1) Can I benefit from an external amp in my setup?
- Denon AVR-X3600H (Receiver)
- 4x Pioneer SP-FS52 (L, R, SL, SR)
- 2x pairs (4x) Pioneer SP-T22A-LR (Atmos)
- 1x Pioneer Elite SP-EC73 (C)

2) If so, what would be the best solution? I am thinking about focusing just on the 5x channels and if I cannot price wise, at least the front stage (L/C/R).

Thanks!
Bernardo Silva

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's rather unlikely that you would benefit from an external amp. Why do you feel like you may need one and what benefit do you think it would give you?

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
It's rather unlikely that you would benefit from an external amp. Why do you feel like you may need one and what benefit do you think it would give you?
Mainly because I am using all 9 channels in a intermediate receiver. I know it is an awesome receiver (specially for the price), but I cannot stop thinking that the channels are overload/underpowered, specially because they are "loosing" some power to feed the 4x atmos addons that are definitely not super important for the main sound.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Mainly because I am using all 9 channels in a intermediate receiver. I know it is an awesome receiver (specially for the price), but I cannot stop thinking that the channels are overload/underpowered, specially because they are "loosing" some power to feed the 4x atmos addons that are definitely not super important for the main sound.
It's highly unlikely that all the channels are being taxed at once. Unless you are listening at reference levels all the time or noticed something specific it's not worth it. Do you have a fan on your AVR? That would be the best thing you could do for it.

If you're dead set on getting an external amp, then you might want to offload the front 3 channels onto one as they are the channels that see the most content (and usually the most volume as well).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those atmos speakers are likely barely using anything. The only real reason for you to buy an amp would be if you're running too hot or just plain looks and bragging rights. My excuse is the latter... lol.

If you think something is lacking or you want a noticeable sonic upgrade, $1300 might get you a nicer L/C/R or even stereo pair. Also, I noticed that for some reason you did not list what subwoofer you're using..?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about some info on distance from speakers, spl levels you listen at, etc?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So, I have a couple of questions for you all:

1) Can I benefit from an external amp in my setup?

2) If so, what would be the best solution? I am thinking about focusing just on the 5x channels and if I cannot price wise, at least the front stage (L/C/R).

Thanks!
Bernardo Silva
The FS52s are rated: input power 130 W maximum. It doesn't seem worth getting a 200 W Monolith amp to drive them.

If you just want to gain some headroom just to feel good then go for the Monolith.

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
Those atmos speakers are likely barely using anything. The only real reason for you to buy an amp would be if you're running too hot or just plain looks and bragging rights. My excuse is the latter... lol.

If you think something is lacking or you want a noticeable sonic upgrade, $1300 might get you a nicer L/C/R or even stereo pair. Also, I noticed that for some reason you did not list what subwoofer you're using..?
Sorry, I forgot to put the subs:
- 2x SVS PB-1000 (Sub)

So, I am not sure if I am lacking or not in the sense that I am not sure if the 9x speakers are a burden to the Denon or not... I am honestly asking because I never had a dedicated PA in my setup before, so, I am not sure what is the perceptible difference.

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
It's highly unlikely that all the channels are being taxed at once. Unless you are listening at reference levels all the time or noticed something specific it's not worth it. Do you have a fan on your AVR? That would be the best thing you could do for it.

If you're dead set on getting an external amp, then you might want to offload the front 3 channels onto one as they are the channels that see the most content (and usually the most volume as well).
Completely agree and I have a fan on my AVR:
- AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 (Fan)

And in the regular volume that I listen (about 17-15db bellow reference on Denon) the "green bar" or the "power consumption bar" from the Denon normally don't go above 80%. So, maybe I am just looking into an external amp because of FOMO (fear of missing out)??? :(

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
How about some info on distance from speakers, spl levels you listen at, etc?
Not sure about the SPL from the top of my head, but in my Denon I normally set to 15-17db bellow reference.

My room has a very weird shape, it's about 11x16 but it doesn't have a "left wall", it's open to the corridor, and the ceiling is a cathedral style (hate that).

Also, because of decoration (no way I can change that unless I want my wife to kill me) the front stage (LCR) is about 10ft from the center seat while the surrounds are just about 5ft.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, I forgot to put the subs:
- 2x SVS PB-1000 (Sub)

So, I am not sure if I am lacking or not in the sense that I am not sure if the 9x speakers are a burden to the Denon or not... I am honestly asking because I never had a dedicated PA in my setup before, so, I am not sure what is the perceptible difference.
It depends on what you're after. The 3600 is a pretty good receiver and power shouldn't be a big problem, tho I can see having 9 speakers running could make it pretty warm. You could get a separate 2 or 3 channel amp and put your mains on it. It's not likely you'll hear any difference at all, but the Denon might run cooler.

If you're thinking about improving on your sound that'd be in the speakers and subs. A pair of PB1000s is a pretty good start too, unless you have a really big room. How big is your room and how far do you sit from the front stage?

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
The FS52s are rated: input power 130 W maximum. It doesn't seem worth getting a 200 W Monolith amp to drive them.

If you just want to gain some headroom just to feel good then go for the Monolith.
I am more interested in the difference between those three power amps, not necessary aiming towards the Monolith. To be honest, I am more towards the Outlaw 5000 since it is far cheaper.

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
It depends on what you're after. The 3600 is a pretty good receiver and power shouldn't be a big problem, tho I can see having 9 speakers running could make it pretty warm. You could get a separate 2 or 3 channel amp and put your mains on it. It's not likely you'll hear any difference at all, but the Denon might run cooler.

If you're thinking about improving on your sound that'd be in the speakers and subs. A pair of PB1000s is a pretty good start too, unless you have a really big room. How big is your room and how far do you sit from the front stage?
I already have a pair of PB1000s. :D... let me put my entire system to avoid confusion (I want to learn to automatic put the fancy "spoiler" button that you have so I don't need to copy and paste that every time):

- NVidia Shield Pro 2019 (4K HDR Streaming)
- Optoma UHD50 (4K HDR Projector)
- XBox One S (4K HDR Blu-ray Player)
- 2x SVS PB-1000 (Sub)

I already answered my room dimensions to another person on the top of your post :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I already have a pair of PB1000s. :D... let me put my entire system to avoid confusion (I want to learn to automatic put the fancy "spoiler" button that you have so I don't need to copy and paste that every time):

- NVidia Shield Pro 2019 (4K HDR Streaming)
- Optoma UHD50 (4K HDR Projector)
- XBox One S (4K HDR Blu-ray Player)
- 2x SVS PB-1000 (Sub)

I already answered my room dimensions to another person on the top of your post :D
You gave dimensions for your listening area then said it's open to somewhere else. That additional space counts when it comes to bass frequencies.

And yes, I noted that you have a pair of PB1000s and said they're a good start, unless you're room is too big for them. But we don't know how big the total space is.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am more interested in the difference between those three power amps, not necessary aiming towards the Monolith. To be honest, I am more towards the Outlaw 5000 since it is far cheaper.
The reason PENG is suggesting the Monolith is because if you're going to buy an amp you might as well make it worth it and gain a little bit of headroom. Your other options wouldn't gain you anything.

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
You gave dimensions for your listening area then said it's open to somewhere else. That additional space counts when it comes to bass frequencies.

And yes, I noted that you have a pair of PB1000s and said they're a good start, unless you're room is too big for them. But we don't know how big the total space is.
That is the best scratch I can come on. The ceiling is a weird cathedral shape that the lowest point is 8' and the highest is 10'.

HTRoom.png

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I am honestly asking because I never had a dedicated PA in my setup before, so, I am not sure what is the perceptible difference.
There is unlikely to be any perceptible difference.

Is the T10 the one that tells you how hot the exhaust is? If so, what does it tell you the temperature is getting to?

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
There is unlikely to be any perceptible difference.

Is the T10 the one that tells you how hot the exhaust is? If so, what does it tell you the temperature is getting to?
Yes, it is all fancy :D... I setup to never go above 85F and it is very competent on keeping 85F max.

Last edited:
bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
85 Celsius?
Sorry, 85F (Fahrenheit). I can set to anything actually, it is just set like that so it does't spin to loud during a movie. Right now it is showing 74F, which is correct (my normal room temp).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis