Outlaw 5000 vs Crown XLS 1002 vs Monolith 5X

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So all speakers that measure similarly sound the same?
It depends. The higher up the food chain the more alike they tend to sound to my ears. The goal is the same and the better the design, the better the transparency. The difference between my Ultras and the Sierra 2s is not huge. They do measure similarly but there are still other factors that fall within audibility.

Dave Fabrikant set out to see why it is the RAAL tweeters seem to sound just ever so slightly subjectively better than the NrT dome tweeters when they measure pretty much the same. I have my doubts if I could reliably tell between the 2 in a DBT tbh, they measure so closely. Both versions of the Sierra towers have the same frequency response, but when you dig a little deeper you can see there are small, measurable but meaningful differences that still fall within the range of human hearing. That makes sense to me. It's actually pretty cool. Here's a link to the PDF.

So, no. All speakers that measure similarly do not sound the same, but the better ones tend to sound more alike than different.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not to mention the different designs, materials and mechanical moving parts involved with speakers. There are WAY more physical factors involved with moving transducers and air. Again, kind of irrelevant, imo.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm supremely confident I can tell the difference in a DBT between my DefTech books and Ultra towers... or a cell phone.
If you can't pick out the phone... you lose your card. Any and all. *stern face

:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis