Why no love for Yamaha speakers ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, my dream is to own every single thing ever made by Yamaha. :D

Would also like some Yamaha Projectors, TVs, refrigerators, freezers, electric/induction ranges, washer, dryer, dish washer, microwave, and everything else. :D
You added the yacht, but you forgot it's smaller but more fun companion, The Waverunner :), gp1800r seems like a decent model

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You added the yacht, but you forgot it's smaller but more fun companion, The Waverunner :), gp1800r seems like a decent model
My brother had one of the original Yamaha Waverunners....that sucker was hard to get on. He recouped most of his costs by letting it be used in a movie where Nick Cannon (his character at least) did a big jump on it in like in this https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1925316889?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_2 (jump to :51 or so to miss most of the rest)

Last edited:
Rusty Dogg

Rusty Dogg

Enthusiast
The only Yamaha speakers I’ve heard were some cheap pro speakers. :D

I’m sure their high-end speakers would sound great.

I think another member @Grassy (who had the Denon AVP-A1HD and then McIntosh AVP) has or had some Yamaha speakers.

So I am sure there are some great sounding Yamaha speakers.
They are some sexy looking speakers there

Rusty Dogg

Rusty Dogg

Enthusiast
I have a pair of NS-F901 speakers paired with a A-S2100 amp as a 2 channel setup in my listening room. Beautiful speakers, beautiful sound. There are speakers i've heard that cost many fold more that are pale in comparison to the NS F901. Their newer NS 5000 is a bit above my budget. But, it may become my end game speaker one day.
I have tested the ns-f901, great speakers too mate

Rusty Dogg

Rusty Dogg

Enthusiast
Back in the late 70's early 80's, Yamaha was the foot in the door for high end. Their speakers were some of the first to use Beryllium (the legendary NS-1000M), their electronics were built like tanks. I've owned integrated amps, preamps, amps and even a TT. I've never heard a speaker of theirs I liked. Even a little bit. Then again, I can't think of any Japanese made production speaker I've liked.

They've got their new flagship bookshelf (NS-5000) which has new composite drivers they claim has acoustic velocity comparable to beryllium. But unfortunately, it appears they're trying to keep a retro look just to make sure people make the connection - they have staggered drivers. I've no doubt that they figure this is their target demographic. Still, a little disappointing. Hopefully, they'll try out some of the things manufacturers have learned about time/phase coherence in the past few decades on another model or 3.

Yamaha, like Pioneer and Marantz, seem to go through periods of being really serious about high end, then walking away for a decade or two. They're making some interesting looking gear again. They've certainly got the $$$ and R&D behind them to be able to make world class audio. Heck, I'm seriously considering their CD-S2100 CD/SACD player. They may be physically built like tanks, but I can't think of a single piece of gear I've owned that lived past its 3rd birthday.

15 grand for bookshelves, , , way outta my league, , , look awsome tho

Rusty Dogg

Rusty Dogg

Enthusiast
I have/had a bunch of Yamaha stuff over the years, and enjoyed it. I actually had a pair of older towers(part of a “system”) that I donated to a friend. The mids were kind of weak, but they were leaps and bounds better than his old Bose 501’s. Those Yamahas started him on a journey down the rabbit hole that found him much deeper than many of us here lol. (I even have a small Yamaha sub in one of my rooms here)

FWIW, I have no doubt your Yamaha setup sounds great. But, some new subwoofage would definitely propel it to the next level.
Yeah for sure, that's my next purchase, I have 2 x sony subs now, would like to upgrade them soon , , ,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So, not a yamaha fan then hey lol, , what's your preference ?
For subs, much better available. They just never made very competitive subs that I'm aware of. I'd look to the usual culprits depending on your budget....Funk, Deep Sea Sound, JTR, Seaton, Hsu, Rythmik, SVS etc. or even DIY.

Rusty Dogg

Rusty Dogg

Enthusiast
For subs, much better available. They just never made very competitive subs that I'm aware of. I'd look to the usual culprits depending on your budget....Funk, Deep Sea Sound, JTR, Seaton, Hsu, Rythmik, SVS etc. or even DIY.
Ok cheers, thanks mate, I'll do sound ground work on them

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a pair of NS-F901 speakers paired with a A-S2100 amp as a 2 channel setup in my listening room. Beautiful speakers, beautiful sound. There are speakers i've heard that cost many fold more that are pale in comparison to the NS F901. Their newer NS 5000 is a bit above my budget. But, it may become my end game speaker one day.
I would like to listen to those Yamaha NS-F901 and NS-5000 speakers. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it’s not about Japan or Japanese companies. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, etc., are also Japanese companies.

Actually, in my DREAM, Yamaha is an American company and made in the USA. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well, it’s not about Japan or Japanese companies. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, etc., are also Japanese companies.

Actually, in my DREAM, Yamaha is an American company and made in the USA. :D
Yeah in my dream I have Yamahas two channel amp with those VU meters :D. plus a pair of RBH 6500 with two subs. That’s my dream!;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You will find some budget Yamaha info here

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You will find some budget Yamaha info here
Wow. The Yamaha NS-6490 speaker was ranked #1. And both were ranked above Infinity Primus. :D

Yamaha is just a good company all around, right @Gmoney ? ;)

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if Yamaha uses anoechic chambers to develop their speakers. They build world class musical instruments so I'm sure their ability to produce quality loudpseakers is not going to be a stretch for hem. Maybe they keep their better products at home.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My brother had one of the original Yamaha Waverunners....that sucker was hard to get on. He recouped most of his costs by letting it be used in a movie where Nick Cannon (his character at least) did a big jump on it in like in this https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1925316889?ref_=tt_pv_vi_aiv_2 (jump to :51 or so to miss most of the rest)
My cousin has Waverunner SUV - it's called SUV since it sits 3 (US sized) adults or 4 Slimer folks. Due to its size and modest engine power, it wasn't the fastest one on the water, but still plenty of fun. I had a few rises on Performance See-Doo model and it's next level thrill.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if Yamaha uses anoechic chambers to develop their speakers. They build world class musical instruments so I'm sure their ability to produce quality loudpseakers is not going to be a stretch for hem. Maybe they keep their better products at home.
I think the reason Yamaha doesn't want to market a lot of speakers is because Yamaha feels the market is saturated - there are too many speaker brands available already from both B&M and DI sales.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to own one of these!
I think the reason Yamaha doesn't want to market a lot of speakers is because Yamaha feels the market is saturated - there are too many speaker brands available already from both B&M and DI sales.
I was really into camping, dirt toys and riding in the sand dunes in California (among other places). It's an amazing experience. Miles and miles of wavy sand dunes without a rock, tree or bush in sight. Driving in sand requires good power and good tires if you really wanna rip it up and the Yamaha YFZ 450 was hands down my favorite. They're built almost race ready right off the assembly line. All I had to do was swap the stock exhaust pipe with their GYTR high performance racing pipe and I was killing everyone at comp hill.

This is the identical model I had. Color, graphics and all.
Yamaha_YFZ_450_2007_08.jpg
Yamaha_YFZ_450_2007_06.jpg

I loved that bike. It was fast, powerful and agile. I've always weighed on the light side too. That almost always gave me an advantage racing uphill. I was beating modded Banshees and Raptors!

Yamaha makes excellent dirt toys too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis