Why no love for Yamaha speakers ?

Rusty Dogg

Rusty Dogg

Enthusiast
So just making an observation, it seems hard to find anyone giving yamaha speakers a good rap, surely there's some yammy fans in here , , , ,

I have 2 x ns-777 for fronts, 2 x ns-c444 for centres, 2 more ns-c444 for height speakers, 2 x ns-333 for rear surrounds, 2 x old ns-50f for L&R rear towers, and 2 x 10inch powered subs,
all run by a older rx-v667 7.2 yamaha amp, and have been into plenty of hi fi stores to sound test newer more expensive systems, in their dedicated rooms, then did the rounds with the wife as well, and honestly we can't put them above what I have set up at home, to each their own I guess.

Not trying to cause an argument, just want to wave the Yamaha flag, I love our home theatre setup.

Keen to hear from other yammy fans too
images-1.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only Yamaha speakers I’ve heard were some cheap pro speakers. :D

I’m sure their high-end speakers would sound great.

I think another member @Grassy (who had the Denon AVP-A1HD and then McIntosh AVP) has or had some Yamaha speakers.

So I am sure there are some great sounding Yamaha speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have/had a bunch of Yamaha stuff over the years, and enjoyed it. I actually had a pair of older towers(part of a “system”) that I donated to a friend. The mids were kind of weak, but they were leaps and bounds better than his old Bose 501’s. Those Yamahas started him on a journey down the rabbit hole that found him much deeper than many of us here lol. (I even have a small Yamaha sub in one of my rooms here)

FWIW, I have no doubt your Yamaha setup sounds great. But, some new subwoofage would definitely propel it to the next level.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I think another member @Grassy (who had the Denon AVP-A1HD and then McIntosh AVP) has or had some Yamaha speakers.

Wow! Are those made by Wilson??? Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're right, I don't see a lot of love for Yamaha speakers. Otoh I can't really recall anyone beating them up either tho.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You're right, I don't see a lot of love for Yamaha speakers. Otoh I can't really recall anyone beating them up either tho.
I'm with you, but my response veered from Yamaha to Japanese speakers in general, so I decided to start a different thread (not sure, maybe I should have left it here?)!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I doubt those ever made it to the US. It's unfortunate that most major brands of electronics made equipment for other countries but it never showed up in this country unless it came with someone who moved here.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audioholics did run a little preview of a neat Yamaha speaker recently, but it's $15k...

I do want to get my hands on their newer studio monitors to see what they can do. Maybe if the stars align, that will happen.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Why no love for Yamaha speakers, that’s a good question! The company certainly excels in just about every other market they dabble in, so it certainly makes sense their speakers would be worthwhile, too. They certainly get good user reviews from Amazon. Maybe Yamaha should make more of an effort to get their speakers in the hands of reviewers. About the only fault I can find that would give me reason not to seriously consider them is the lack of finish options. I’m not a fan of black speaker cabinets.

My first decent computer sound system was the Yamaha YST-MS50, which I bought unheard based on what seemed to be near-universal accolades. When I later upgraded to some Swans speakers for my desk, I was shocked to find that the little Yamahas held their own against them quite well! We still have a couple sets of YST’s in use in the house. There’s a review I did of them you can find in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, my dream is to own every single thing ever made by Yamaha. :D

Would also like some Yamaha Projectors, TVs, refrigerators, freezers, electric/induction ranges, washer, dryer, dish washer, microwave, and everything else. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, my dream is to own every single thing ever made by Yamaha. :D

Would also like some Yamaha Projectors, TVs, refrigerators, freezers, electric/induction ranges, washer, dryer, dish washer, microwave, and everything else. :D
What car is that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t know the model, but it’s a Yamaha for racing. :D
Knew they made great engines, never saw a dedicated car.

As to Yamaha speakers...probably heard some back in the 70s, but largely have not crossed paths with them generally altho our local pub uses a pair of pro speakers for live events that are okay. They are probably more known in the consumer speaker product line via lower end offerings at a guess, at least here in the US when I've searched for such.

Hench4Life

Hench4Life

Junior Audioholic
Back in the late 70's early 80's, Yamaha was the foot in the door for high end. Their speakers were some of the first to use Beryllium (the legendary NS-1000M), their electronics were built like tanks. I've owned integrated amps, preamps, amps and even a TT. I've never heard a speaker of theirs I liked. Even a little bit. Then again, I can't think of any Japanese made production speaker I've liked.

They've got their new flagship bookshelf (NS-5000) which has new composite drivers they claim has acoustic velocity comparable to beryllium. But unfortunately, it appears they're trying to keep a retro look just to make sure people make the connection - they have staggered drivers. I've no doubt that they figure this is their target demographic. Still, a little disappointing. Hopefully, they'll try out some of the things manufacturers have learned about time/phase coherence in the past few decades on another model or 3.

Yamaha, like Pioneer and Marantz, seem to go through periods of being really serious about high end, then walking away for a decade or two. They're making some interesting looking gear again. They've certainly got the $$$ and R&D behind them to be able to make world class audio. Heck, I'm seriously considering their CD-S2100 CD/SACD player. They may be physically built like tanks, but I can't think of a single piece of gear I've owned that lived past its 3rd birthday.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
So just making an observation, it seems hard to find anyone giving yamaha speakers a good rap, surely there's some yammy fans in here , , , ,

I have 2 x ns-777 for fronts, 2 x ns-c444 for centres, 2 more ns-c444 for height speakers, 2 x ns-333 for rear surrounds, 2 x old ns-50f for L&R rear towers, and 2 x 10inch powered subs,
all run by a older rx-v667 7.2 yamaha amp, and have been into plenty of hi fi stores to sound test newer more expensive systems, in their dedicated rooms, then did the rounds with the wife as well, and honestly we can't put them above what I have set up at home, to each their own I guess.

Not trying to cause an argument, just want to wave the Yamaha flag, I love our home theatre setup.

Keen to hear from other yammy fans too
View attachment 35716
I have a pair of NS-F901 speakers paired with a A-S2100 amp as a 2 channel setup in my listening room. Beautiful speakers, beautiful sound. There are speakers i've heard that cost many fold more that are pale in comparison to the NS F901. Their newer NS 5000 is a bit above my budget. But, it may become my end game speaker one day.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What car is that?
Over the years Yamaha build few sport car prototypes and concepts, One ADTG shown was from 2015, Called Sport Ride:
Like I've said there were others, like magnificent OX99-11

prematurely/
The estimated sell price for the 1990 model was $800k, or in 2020 greenbacks (inflation-adjusted), bit over 1.5mil... Pocket change. due to the financial market situation at the time, Yamaha decided to kill the project.
3 cars were made and one was recently for sale at a significant discount, at only 1.3mil

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis