highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There's an interesting history there. People didn't used to eat them for exactly that reason (they were compared to insects). Lobster was used to fertilize fields.

Then, during the civil war, one of the staple foods the government managed to create in large quantities was canned lobster. After the war it became popular and, eventually, a delicacy.

Some other foods that were wildly unpopular until some combination of advertising campaigns or cooking methods to take advantage of the available cheap meat include: Chicken wings, bacon, and most BBQ including brisket.

They tried

After using up the swine flu emergency funds, the Obama administration tried to replenish the stockpile in 2011 by asking Congress to provide $655 million, up from the previous year’s budget of less than $600 million. Responding to swine flu, which the CDC estimated killed more than 12,000 people in the United States over the course of a year, had required the largest deployment in the stockpile’s history, including nearly 20 million pieces of personal protective equipment and more than 85 million N95 masks, according to a 2016 report published by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.

Congressional Republicans, led by Mitch McConnell in the Senate and House Speaker John Boehner, leveraged the debt ceiling — a limit on the government’s borrowing ability that had to be raised — to insist that the Obama administration accept federal spending curbs.

Without a full committee markup, Rehberg introduced a bill that provided $522.5 million to the stockpile, about 12% less than the previous year and $132 million less than the administration wanted. “Nobody got everything they wanted,” Rehberg said.

The sequestration and strict budget caps ended in 2018 (when there was a Republican in the Whitehorse... strange how the budget stopped being an issue)

During the Trump administration, the White House has consistently proposed cutting the CDC and the HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, which took over stockpile management from the CDC. Congress approved more stockpile funding than Trump’s budget requested in every year of his administration, for a combined $1.93 billion instead of $1.77 billion, according to budget documents.

The White House budget request for 2021, delivered in February as officials were already warning about the dangerous new coronavirus, proposed holding the stockpile’s funding flat at $705 million and cutting resources for the office that oversees it.
More arguments FOR term limits.

Sure would be good if we could go in and carry the politicians out when they reach the end of their usefulness, but that would leave us with nobody.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
More arguments FOR term limits.

Sure would be good if we could go in and carry the politicians out when they reach the end of their usefulness, but that would leave us with nobody.
I don't understand the logic behind term limits. It basically argues
1) People with no experience are better at a job than people with lots of experience.
2) Forced turn-over is good for productivity.
3) If people cannot stay in the job they have, they will be less motivated to focus on the next job (that is to say term limits imply that congress people will be less focused on pleasing big companies at the expense of the viters if the voters don't matter (because they can't be re-elected) and the corporations matter more (because they will want a job).

I assert all three of those are false.

What I *would* like to do is reduce the term length for the senate (likely to 2 years), have yearly elections, and prohibit the incumbent from running. So at most you could do two-years-on, one-year-off.

Actually: what I *really* want to do is rewrite the entire system so that elected representative stop writing laws and policies (isn't it fun having a lawyer write environmental policy, or a doctor voting on the best options to keep the economy going?) and instead have congress act like a board of directors, hiring and firing committees chosen for their expertise and directed by the legislative body.

It would also eliminate an awful lot of the add-on pork that exists to get "just one more vote", since the legislators would no longer be voting on bills.

I have a much more in-depth dive into this, as you might imagine.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Most discussion about the DIY face mask recommend Cotton T-shirt type material... anything looser and you aren't helping anybody, much less yourself. (That's the "Guidance," at any rate.)
agreed, my wife made ours out of old pillow case material, created a 'pocket' in which we insert a filtration media. What I'm using quite effectively is that which is from a high quality HVAC / furnace filter. Simply remove, cutaway the cardboard frame and wire mesh and cut to fit !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The first person to receive vaccination against Covid 19 now has a face.

She was injected with a product being developed by Moderna. First dose was given about three weeks ago.

Their stock is around $32 a share now. I have been watching the contenders. I think Moderna are the ones most likely to get there first, and have potentially everyone on Earth as their customer.

Further details of the story here.

This is what it will take to end this nightmare and economic recovery to occur.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The first person to receive vaccination against Covid 19 now has a face.
I hope it works.
I hope (given your other article about re-infection) that the virus isn't changing fast enough to make a vaccine short-lived.
I hope there isn't a side-effect where you grow a third arm.
And, of course, I hope that the company that does develop one doesn't see it as an opportunity to charge the highest price possible in the face of non-elastic demand.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I hope it works.
I hope (given your other article about re-infection) that the virus isn't changing fast enough to make a vaccine short-lived.
And, of course, I hope that the company that does develop one doesn't see it as an opportunity to charge the highest price possible in the face of non-elastic demand.

'Hope' is good ..........

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Will this finally register with some? Doubt it. :eek:
I hope it works.

3 out of 4 ain't bad...

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
China is now clamping down on academic research into the origin of the coronavirus:

>>>China has imposed restrictions on the publication of academic research on the origins of the novel coronavirus, according to a central government directive and online notices published by two Chinese universities, that have since been removed from the web.<<<

Meanwhile, Putin continues his efforts to divide Americans and spread false information:

>>>RT America echoed the charge. It focused on “Vaxxed: From Cover-Up to Catastrophe,” a 2016 film by Andrew Wakefield, a discredited anti-vaccine activist. When the film was pulled from the Tribeca Film Festival after a public outcry, the network aired an interview with its creators. “Can we trust the C.D.C. on vaccines?” a plug for the show asked.<<<

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Interesting. Perhaps we should call it Wuhan virus.
I think Bill is wrong about the Spanish flue though. He did name a bunch showing original location start. I don't think it originated in Spain, they just published an outbreak they detected in Spain during the 1st world war.
Spain was neutral and no restriction on newspaper coverage unlike the countries that were involved in WWI. At least according to one book I heard about not long ago being discussed.
But, I could be wrong. ;)

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I think his priorities are mixed up if he's upset that it's not being called "Chinese cold".

You cannot simultaneously say that words don't matter (so it's OK if there's a racist dog whistle) but that words matter (so it's not OK if you just pick a name without said whistle).

Maybe he should pick something more important... like reminding people to stay home.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I agree with Bill on this, even if he isn't adored by the little statesmen.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I agree with Bill on this, even if he isn't adored by the little statesmen.
China needs to pay a heavy penalty for this. More here from William Hague a former leader of the Conservative party. The western countries should never have sacrificed their industrial base to China. This has to change. If labeling Covid 19 the Chinese virus, which it is, aids that process so be it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
China needs to pay a heavy penalty for this. More here from William Hague a former leader of the Conservative party. The western countries should never have sacrificed their industrial base to China. This has to change. If labeling Covid 19 the Chinese virus, which it is, aids that process so be it.
One thing I've always been curious about is why are wet markets so popular over there?

Maybe someone could help educate me on this? Is it cultural? Is it necessary for some of the poor or the population to eat? Is it an exotic thing that people do?

Why are they so popular in there culture over there?

And why is the government obviously reluctant unwilling or just too lazy to crack down on them?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My only concern is before we go penalizing China we got a lot to deal with right here right now

If we don't get testing ramped up especially antibody testing for the larger population were screwed they have to be able to get a more accurate idea of the true denominator between actual cases cases recovered compared to deaths and required hospitalizations before we can really get a grip on how deadly this thing really is. People say it's 10x's deadlier then the flu but until we get a more accurate number from testing we don't know. And that makes it really difficult to act until they know where it is and have a more accurate idea of how deadly it is and how much hospitalization is going to be its difficult to know how to begin to properly start to jumpstart the economy again

And the economy is getting deadlier and deadlier by the day

I know the doctors and scientists get frustrated at some of us being concerned but I think we're frustrated that they don't see the other concern

They are right not to overrun the medical system and they are right to try to save lives and minimize the virus slow it as best they can

But we're not concerned because we're trading monetary or comforts for lives

The economy if it tanks not just here but also worldwide were concerned because your talking lives for lives the lives lost due to economic collapse and the lives lost due to the virus on top

Millions will die if the world falls into another depression millions

Not to mention the disruption of supplies shortages could lead to out right war I mean on a global scale it's happened before. Which could cost so many lives and so much suffering wars were bad enough with guns and bombs hell they are horrible period

Now we got nukes for christsakes and anything can happen in a war between major superpowers

Tensions are rapidly building between China and just about everyone right now and if it gets worse that is a possible outcome
Anyone really wants that war with one of the biggest populations on this planet whose armed with nukes? Over a virus which we still don't have enough data on and still need to figure out how to safely navigate while jumpstarting our economy?

Man I wish people would calm down a bit right now emotions are just so high and were making all of our decisions not just on insufficient data but worse on fear anger and just strong emotions.

Punishing China? Taking over production and manufacturing again?

That's the last part of our problems right now

We better get a grip on this virus and have a plan for the economy or otherwise there isn't going to be anything left to even start doing manufacturing over here let alone be able to ask China to answer for anything

highfigh

highfigh

One thing I've always been curious about is why are wet markets so popular over there?

Maybe someone could help educate me on this? Is it cultural? Is it necessary for some of the poor or the population to eat? Is it an exotic thing that people do?

Why are they so popular in there culture over there?

And why is the government obviously reluctant unwilling or just too lazy to crack down on them?
Why are wet markets so popular? Ever see their traditional medicine shops?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis