Last system I will ever need to own

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Damnit. Now I want a new pj even more. Thanks...

I think you learned a good lesson. Resolution and all that mean nothing without a good picture. Oversimplication of what a great display can do, but it reminds me of when I got my Panasonic VT60. I'd already had my current oh for a few years, but remember that when I watched something for the first time on that TV my first thought was "I need a better projector". That's how good the image is. I still love my oh, but I know I'm missing out on what the truly great projectors are capable of.

Congrats. And get some new HDMI cables...:)
It sounds cliche, but it's like watching everything again for the FIRST TIME. :D

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING looks so darn awesome.

I was watching the latest episode of The Blacklist last night. Man, everything just looks so beautiful.

Can't wait to watch Game of Thrones tonight on my NX5.

Now I'll have to rewatch the entire GOT on my NX5. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It sounds cliche, but it's like watching everything again for the FIRST TIME. :D

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING looks so darn awesome.

I was watching the latest episode of The Blacklist last night. Man, everything just looks so beautiful.

Can't wait to watch Game of Thrones tonight on my NX5.

Now I'll have to rewatch the entire GOT on my NX5. :D
That's what a new display will do. I bet I'll do the same when I make the leap.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Latest additions to my HT room.
1. Intel i9-9900K CPU
2. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super GPU
3. Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz 32GB RAM
4. Samsung EVO-970 250GB Primary SSD
5. Samsung EVO-860 20TB Storage SSD
6. MSI 390A-PRO Motherboard
7. Corsair RM750 750W PSU
8. Noctua U14 w/ dual 140mm Fans
9. Antec-1200 Case w/ 8 Fans (200x1, 140x1, 120x6)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah been meaning to update my system. Latest addition is the JVC LX-NZ3 Laser Native-4K DLP + eShift Projector.

The NZ3 is intended to be my “daily workhorse“ PJ while the NX5 is intended to be used to watch the best quality 4K movies. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been selling all my Denon's. Today I just sold my last Denon - the AVR-5308CI.

Will be replacing it with the Yamaha RX-A3080, which is scheduled to ship today.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I've been selling all my Denon's. Today I just sold my last Denon - the AVR-5308CI.

Will be replacing it with the Yamaha RX-A3080, which is scheduled to ship today.
So you went and got it uhh! let us know your thoughts when you have time with that Flagship AVR. I know you have their Pre-Pro setup in your HT room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you went and got it uhh! let us know your thoughts when you have time with that Flagship AVR. I know you have their Pre-Pro setup in your HT room.
Will definitely post some new pics of the RX-3080 (should arrive tomorrow or Thu) in my living room 2.0 system. :D

It‘s funny how I got Roger the A3080 last year. Remember Roger and his virtual speakers? Haha. :D

And now I’m finally getting the A3080 for myself. :D

But yeah, my main HT has the CX-A5100.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I think it's time for an Acurus revival!

But the new ones are really pricey. Too pricey.

Naw, stay with the Yamahas.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Will definitely post some new pics of the RX-3080 (should arrive tomorrow or Thu) in my living room 2.0 system. :D

It‘s funny how I got Roger the A3080 late last year. Remember Roger and his virtual speakers? Haha. :D

And now I’m finally getting the A3080 for myself. :D

But yeah, my main HT has the CX-A5100.
Sweet! My Son has the a3080 he loves it, the power supply is huge in it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's time for an Acurus revival!

But the new ones are really pricey. Too pricey.

Naw, stay with the Yamahas.
Don’t get TLS Guy started about Acurus’s lack of protection circuits.

Hopefully the new much pricier Acurus has protection circuits. :eek:

But yeah, the older I get and longer I’ve been around, the more I’m into the “last system I will ever need to buy” mentality.

Although we all know about “last systems”.

But hopefully the A3080 is the last AVR my living room will ever need. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Don’t get TLS Guy started about Acurus’s lack of protection circuits.

Hopefully the new much pricier Acurus has protection circuits. :eek:

But yeah, the older I get and longer I’ve been around, the more I’m into the “last system I will ever need to buy” mentality.

Although we all know about “last systems”.

But hopefully the A3080 is the last AVR my living room will ever need. :D
The photos of that Yamaha a3080 don’t do it justice
I was at my Son’s home when UPS dropped it off.
It really is a well built AVR it was very easy to setup
He has them RBH Impression elite towers that I got from you and let me tell ya that Yamaha flagship is a good match for those Elite towers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Above the Yamaha RX-A3080 is the massive Denon AVP-A1HDCI, which died after 8 years so now it is just paperweight.

I do have a bit of “seller’s remorse“ selling the AVR-5308 because it is a beast. The Yamaha feels like a lightweight in comparison. :D

The AVR-5308 can output about 340 watts RMS x 2Ch into 4 ohms, while the RX-A3080 can output about 300 watts RMS x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

I listened and sang karaoke last night on the Yamaha AVR connected to the Yamaha MIXER. :D

I’ve always preferred not using any kind of auto room correction EQ. Same with both the Denon and Yamaha. So the SQ is the same in “direct” modes.

There are differences between the Denon and Yamaha.

1. Direct Mode/Pure Direct Mode and Bass Management. Denon allows Subwoofer usage even in Pure Direct mode. Yamaha does not allow bass management in Pure Direct mode. However, Direct modes sound the same to me as “Straight” (Yamaha) and “Stereo” (Denon) modes. Except for KARAOKE! :D

2. Karaoke Mode. Okay, there’s no such thing. I just made this up. :D But huge difference here. Night and day difference. In Stereo mode, there is a slight delay in vocals through the Mixer for karaoke. It’s like a slight “echo” effect, which may be fine for most people who use “echo” for karaoke. But I prefer no echo effects of any kind. Thus, with the Denon, I had to use Direct Mode.

Since Denon allows Sub output in Direct mode, there’s not an issue.

But since Yamaha doesn’t allow Sub output in Pure Direct mode (Yamaha doesn’t have a Direct mode), this created a problem for me.

Yamaha’s PD mode seems to be made for FULL RANGE Large speaker, which doesn’t need a Sub. So it routes all the bass to the Front L/R speakers.

Solution: I have to use the Yamaha‘s XLR Balanced Front Left/Right Output to connect to the RBH SA-500DSP Sub amp XLR Input. Then use the Sub amp’s XO/PEQ to set LPF (150Hz), HPF (25Hz), XO Slope (12dB), and PEQ settings.

I boost the PEQ from 25Hz-80Hz to create that “Dynamic EQ” bass effect.

So now I use the Yamaha in Pure Direct mode.

But again, the end result is the same Sound Quality with both RX-A3080 and AVR-5308.

3. Once again, the Yamaha’s WiFi Remote App and Music Streaming (MusicCast) work perfectly, unlike the Denon’s. I was able to easily set up and control the MusicCast for Zone 1 (Living Room) and Zone 2 (Back Porch). There’s also the option for Zone 3 since I’m not using all of the Yamaha’s internal amps. So going back in time, I would have wired more speakers for more zones. :D

4. HDMI Compatibility. With the Denon, if the PC is turned on first or is already powered up and then the Denon is powered up, there is the HDMI handshake problem and it doesn’t work. The PC has to be powered up LAST. Sometimes even when the PC is powered up last, it still doesn’t work and I have to restart the PC.

The Yamaha has no issue here. The PC can be powered up first or stays on overnight. As soon as the Yamaha powers up, the HDMI works perfectly.

5. Heat. The Yamaha stayed very cool after 6 hours and a lot of karaoke. The Denon always got very hot.

In conclusion, the SQ of the RX-A3080 is excellent like the AVR-5308. “Karaoke mode” is also excellent with Pure Direct mode. :D The Yamaha has much better HDMI compatibility with my components and the WiFi Remote and Music Streaming (MusicCast, Zones 1 and 2) works much better than the Denon.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
MusicCast in 3 rooms: Home Theater, Family Room, Back Porch.

Same source in 3 rooms.

Different sources in 3 different rooms:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis