First Audessey Experience

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
I really dont mean to be sarcastic, but I dont see any input from your ears, , , ,

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hehe... I'm probably not worthy of it ;)

Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300 at the front. MA Silver C350 center. And MA Silver FX as surround speakers. I'm planning to buy another set of Silver 300 to use at the back in a 7.1 config when I manage to reconfigure my room.
Subwoofer is MA Silver W12.
Very nice setup all around.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think bass is super punchy - especially in action movies
1. I would turn on Dynamic EQ (keep Dynamic Volume off). Offset - try different points. I think offset of zero is more aggressive.

2. Manually increase the Speaker Channel Level of all speakers will also increase the aggressiveness of Dynamic EQ (DEQ). For example, if your speakers are set to 0.0, try +3.0 to +5.0. This will keep the master volume lower, which boosts DEQ.

3. Increase the Speaker Channel Level of your subs. Audyssey probably set it too low. Increase the sub level until it sounds good to you.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
1. I would turn on Dynamic EQ (keep Dynamic Volume off). Offset - try different points. I think offset of zero is more aggressive.

2. Manually increase the Speaker Channel Level of all speakers will also increase the aggressiveness of Dynamic EQ (DEQ). For example, if your speakers are set to 0.0, try +3.0 to +5.0. This will keep the master volume lower, which boosts DEQ.

3. Increase the Speaker Channel Level of your subs. Audyssey probably set it too low. Increase the sub level until it sounds good to you.
Can you please explain a little about Reference level offset. I didn’t adjust mine from zero because I don’t know what it does.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Can you please explain a little about Reference level offset. I didn’t adjust mine from zero because I don’t know what it does.
Yeah I’d like to know also, What’s reference level off set?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I’d like to know also, What’s reference level off set?
It sets where DEQ kicks in and how hard. RLO 0 would be the most aggressive and -15 is the lightest touch.

You know what? I have actual measurements and can show you exactly what it does!

House Curves_copy_1536x864.jpg

You can see there (sweeps are all labeled) that DEQ Off is a flat response. DEQ is basically a house curve and the offset levels are how aggressive a curve you prefer. I'll switch to 0 for movies and -10 or -5 for music.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This however, I did not know! It totally makes sense tho. I don't feel a need to bump mine any, but I can see it being helpful in different situations.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It sets where DEQ kicks in and how hard. RLO 0 would be the most aggressive and -15 is the lightest touch.

You know what? I have actual measurements and can show you exactly what it does!

View attachment 35001

You can see there (sweeps are all labeled) that DEQ Off is a flat response. DEQ is basically a house curve and the offset levels are how aggressive a curve you prefer. I'll switch to 0 for movies and -10 or -5 for music.
Thanks Porge!, Sooo this is what you guys been talking about the last few years? You got my Full Attention!
Is this what room correction can accomplish? X32?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
This however, I did not know! It totally makes sense tho. I don't feel a need to bump mine any, but I can see it being helpful in different situations.

Andrew, Why didn’t I pay attention last year when you and I where texting by cellphone about (DEQ) You where trying to School me but my Thick head wasn’t Listening well. :(. I’ll text you tomorrow on this DEQ thing. Man I’m behind the 8 ball on this!!:mad:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Porge!, Sooo this is what you guys been talking about the last few years? You got my Full Attention!
XT32 does its best to get it to this.

REW Screenie_copy_960x540 (1).jpg

That sweep above is after I did some tweaking to what Audyssey did, with a MiniDSP. Then I open both ports on my subs and turn DEQ on as my house curve.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think one problem with the sub response is that big peak at 50hz.

I think maybe Audyssey saw the back side of that peak as the -3 point and is rolling off the response below that.

This is absolute conjecture on my part but the specs down to 20hz. I know it’s sealed, but rolling off at 50 is crazy. Obviously the “after” is a calculation, but something is weird.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Sorry about the silence. I go to bed early and live in Denmark so time difference is 7 - 9 hours to the US :)

Nice Unifi AP. Big fan of those myself. Unless that is something else, then ignore me.
It is indeed a Unifi AP. Great products. That being said, I have a Unifi switch in the cabinet below the TV. So receiver and Nvidia Shield are wired. Don't trust WiFi 100% ;-)

Acoustics and room aesthetics aren't always cooperative :) How did you choose sub location?
Placement is more or less random. I guess I should do the pub sub crawl?

Looks like this one:

Is available in white (not that it necessarily needs to be white once I get dedicated room). I can almost get 2 of those for the price of one MA Silver W12. However specs look very similar so don't know if it would be an upgrade?

Thanks again for all the comments/suggestions. Super helpful!

D

depechefan

Audioholic

Thanks, will definitely try these suggestions!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
XT32 does its best to get it to this.

View attachment 35002

That sweep above is after I did some tweaking to what Audyssey did, with a MiniDSP. Then I open both ports on my subs and turn DEQ on as my house curve.
Pogre, William pointed out in the graph 50hz peak roll off where Audyssey is making adjustments are to Compensate for a null in the room?

Last edited:
D

depechefan

Audioholic
I think one problem with the sub response is that big peak at 50hz.

I think maybe Audyssey saw the back side of that peak as the -3 point and is rolling off the response below that.

This is absolute conjecture on my part but the specs down to 20hz. I know it’s sealed, but rolling off at 50 is crazy. Obviously the “after” is a calculation, but something is weird.
When I set up my sub I used its built-in calibration (before running Audessey). What I noticed happening is that as it plays various test tones at higher and higher levels, it eventually reaches a combination which makes a system which circulates air in my home rattle. The calibration stops around that time... So if that somehow screws the calibration up I don't know. There isn't an interface which allows me to see the results. I have no reason to believe that it throws an error but on the other hand I can't rule it out. The air circulation system is mounted behind the wall that the sub is placed against so I guess you could argue that I might get better results by moving it to somewhere else. :)

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I tried to move the sub to the corner next to the couch. The graph looks better, right?

If I enable DEQ and turn up the level of the sub then I definitely get enough bass. So I think it's mainly now a matter of striking the right balance. It would be awesome if you could automatically adjust DEQ depending on the type of content you are listening to.

More to play around with... :)

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I tried to move the sub to the corner next to the couch. The graph looks better, right?

If I enable DEQ and turn up the level of the sub then I definitely get enough bass. So I think it's mainly now a matter of striking the right balance. It would be awesome if you could automatically adjust DEQ depending on the type of content you are listening to.

More to play around with... :)
All contents have different bass level and volume level. So just have to manually adjust the bass levels sometimes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah back then I was always preaching DEQ. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew, Why didn’t I pay attention last year when you and I where texting by cellphone about (DEQ) You where trying to School me but my Thick head wasn’t Listening well. :(. I’ll text you tomorrow on this DEQ thing. Man I’m behind the 8 ball on this!!:mad:
DEQ is for Audyssey. Yamaha doesn't have DEQ. That's why I've used Yamaha Manual PEQ to boost the bass in the 30-80Hz region. So I get the same bass effect.

My Denon AVR-5308CI in the living room has DEQ, but I don't use DEQ. I use the manual PEQ in my RBH sub amp to boost the bass.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis