First Audessey Experience

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi,

This isn't really a question but I'd love to know what others would do next... I have a 5.1 setup currently. Receiver is Denon AVC-X8500. I set it up and used the Audessey app. I see the attached graphs before/after calibration. In general I think it looks quite good. Sound is also good. Needed to adjust levels a bit. I don't think bass is super punchy - especially in action movies and I guess the dips in the graph for the sub has something to do with this.

Cross-over set to 80 Hz for everything.

Would you do anything to try to optimize these results?

Thanks in advance

/M

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What’s your subwoofer?
What are your crossover points?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are your other components? Speakers and Sub?

@Gmoney, we better get @PENG and @shadyJ to this party.

We're talking about the $4,000 Denon X8500 here, not some cheap stuffs! :D

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hehe... I'm probably not worthy of it ;)

Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300 at the front. MA Silver C350 center. And MA Silver FX as surround speakers. I'm planning to buy another set of Silver 300 to use at the back in a 7.1 config when I manage to reconfigure my room.
Subwoofer is MA Silver W12.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You've got some really nice speakers, but I've never heard MA's sub offerings. General experience with awesome speaker manufacturers who also make subwoofers tend not to be as good as some of the id sub companies' offerings.

You also have a gnarly looking null like I do in your bass fr. Those are particularly tough to deal with but I managed some level of success with REW and a MiniDSP.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's right, I remember. Depeche is planning on adding another MA Silver Sub to the mix, too.

That sub, as you can see, is a limiting factor.

I am all for you adding extra Silver 300s, but it would be a shame to put them as rears! If you are into multi-channel Audio, they would be much better use at surround rather than rear. Or better, upgrade your fronts to 500s! :)

XO at 80 is probably fine. Could experiment higher.

Sub is the weakest link. Placement and quality of the unit itself.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Yeah, I have seen some less positive comments about my sub before. I suppose I should have investigated this a bit more before I bought it... It's relatively new though so a little reluctant to swap it at this point...

D

depechefan

Audioholic
That's right, I remember. Depeche is planning on adding another MA Silver Sub to the mix, too.

That sub, as you can see, is a limiting factor.

I am all for you adding extra Silver 300s, but it would be a shame to put them as rears! If you are into multi-channel Audio, they would be much better use at surround rather than rear. Or better, upgrade your fronts to 500s! :)

XO at 80 is probably fine. Could experiment higher.

Sub is the weakest link. Placement and quality of the unit itself.
So you would suggest getting 500s as front speakers, use the 300s as surround and keep my FXs as rear speakers?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hehe... I'm probably not worthy of it ;)

Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300 at the front. MA Silver C350 center. And MA Silver FX as surround speakers. I'm planning to buy another set of Silver 300 to use at the back in a 7.1 config when I manage to reconfigure my room.
Subwoofer is MA Silver W12.
I would look into some subwoofage before buying the 300s to use as surrounds. I think you'll realize more improvement to your sq with a better sub (or 2!), hands down. Going with dual subs is the best way to deal with that deep null you have.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I would look into some subwoofage before buying the 300s to use as surrounds. I think you'll realize more improvement to your sq with a better sub (or 2!), hands down. Going with dual subs is the best way to deal with that deep null you have.
But you would choose different subs rather than another similar one?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Finding white subs is hard though. :) Yes, I remember!

SVS has some options in White, so does Rythmik, IIRC. Of course, there are always custom options. but that gets pricey, fast.
What is your approximate open-room volume?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So you would suggest getting 500s as front speakers, use the 300s as surround and keep my FXs as rear speakers?
This is not necessary. Both speakers are very similar. I do like big towers, though. That's just personal preference. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
But you would choose different subs rather than another similar one?
You will definitely notice some improvement if you were to buy a second identical sub, yes. If you have the money though, I would strongly consider switching to a completely different subwoofer, yes. Definitely before buying expensive surround speakers.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Finding white subs is hard though. :) Yes, I remember!

SVS has some options in White, so does Rythmik, IIRC. Of course, there are always custom options. but that gets pricey, fast.
What is your approximate open-room volume?
It's not a particularly big room. It's just very messy because it's modern and smart with glass and openings... I'm going to buy a new house to fix this soon (seriously). Attached image shows what I was preparing to do to make it sort of work. Ceiling height is 2.3 metres. So also a problem for the Atmos implementation I'm planning (6 height speakers). What you can see in the photo is the current layout with sofa against the side wall and the front/center/sub opposite. Openings on either side... I probably need to be patient and not change anything until I have the right room. Just don't like waiting. And being forced to spend so much time at home makes me even less patient ;-) (Corona and all).
I love this forum. So many people ready to offer help and opinions :)

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi,

This isn't really a question but I'd love to know what others would do next... I have a 5.1 setup currently. Receiver is Denon AVC-X8500. I set it up and used the Audessey app. I see the attached graphs before/after calibration. In general I think it looks quite good. Sound is also good. Needed to adjust levels a bit. I don't think bass is super punchy - especially in action movies and I guess the dips in the graph for the sub has something to do with this.

Cross-over set to 80 Hz for everything.

Would you do anything to try to optimize these results?

Thanks in advance

/M
Keep in mind that your 'corrected' graphs there are not real. Audyssey did not make things flat like that. It might be able to, but only for a single coordinate in space. The only thing that is realistic is the correction that it made in the subwoofer's response.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nice Unifi AP. Big fan of those myself. Unless that is something else, then ignore me.

Anyway, the setup LOOKS nice, but a better sub would be quite helpful. That and experimenting with placement if you can. The front might not be the best spot. For some though it is the ONLY spot. @Pogre would be one of those people.

The thing about a good sub is that some of them work wonderfully, but aren't "pretty". You can get both, but price goes up quickly. Funk audio comes to mind here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not a particularly big room. It's just very messy because it's modern and smart with glass and openings... I'm going to buy a new house to fix this soon (seriously). Attached image shows what I was preparing to do to make it sort of work. Ceiling height is 2.3 metres. So also a problem for the Atmos implementation I'm planning (6 height speakers). What you can see in the photo is the current layout with sofa against the side wall and the front/center/sub opposite. Openings on either side... I probably need to be patient and not change anything until I have the right room. Just don't like waiting. And being forced to spend so much time at home makes me even less patient ;-) (Corona and all).
I love this forum. So many people ready to offer help and opinions :)
Acoustics and room aesthetics aren't always cooperative :) How did you choose sub location?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's another way to look at it. If you upgrade your surround speakers I think you're going to have to work to convince yourself that there's much of an improvement, if any at all. Use that budget to upgrade your subwoofage (and go dual) and I think there's a much greater chance you'll have a nice, noticeable little "wow" moment.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Subs first. Def. This will create the most visceral, obvious change. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis