Choose: Krell Showcase 7 or Conrad Johnson MF5600

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I have unfortunately found that out... because I wasn't getting an answer, I decided to post on another forum and I have been getting some good feedback.

Ironically, although they sound different, but both sound great, I think I will be going with the Krell since itt provides an 2 extra channels.

On a side note, I am going to followup with the suggestion of listening to the Salk speakers and maybe thinking about a future purchase.
You just weren't getting answers that you wanted to hear. As stated, if either is working order and the price is right, pick one.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Salk Sound doesn’t sell to distributors, they are ID (internet direct) and only build to order.
If you are interested, reach out to Jim by phone or E-mail. He often answers the phone himself! He will gladly discuss the product line and make recommendations based on your intended set-up and usage.
A good deal of his clients offer to host auditions in their own home, and Jim maintains a list who and where they are.
When I mentioned above my own speakers, built by Jim for his colleague Dennis, Dennis did the exact same thing: I was introduced to a local owner and invited to come hang out for an hour. It was an absolute honor and joy to be welcomed in to this guys home.
He turned on the system, gave me his iPad with Roon and Tidal, sat down on the sofa and said, Go for it!” He was having as much fun as I was.
Yes, to be clear this was a Philharmonic Audio customer, not a Salk customer. But like me, Jim built his speakers too, and we both had direct contact with Jim throughout the process.
Jim’s audition routine is largely the same!

Salk Sound is in Michigan. Depending on where you are located in Canada, it might be very easy to find yourself paired up with somebody who will let you audition their rig. I’ve also heard that he will run audition himself at his house.

Best,
R
I'd post here for demo requests

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you'll find the (vocal) majority on this particular site are of the "all amps sound the same if performing within their specs" school of thought and, based on the answers provided so far, you won't get much imput other than "all amps are the same" or "buy ATI".

FWIW, I would go with the Krell. :)
To be more accurate, how about....all amps sound the same if perform within their specs that indicate high enough degree of transparency for no audible distortions.

My point is, without transparency, amps can sound different even if perform within their specs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Jokes aside, the Krell show case 7's 140 W at 0.1% thd is not great, in fact easily beaten by a good Denon or Marantz receiver. So that smart response "Denon" may have merit..

I bet it would measure on ASR's bench as bad as the two Audio Research amps Amir measured recently. Those amps may be SOTA back in the days, but not any more. I am sure it would do much better than most receivers in terms of ACD, but then ACD is not a key factor for people who demands the best value in terms of sound quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We can compare it to a Denon and a Marantz easily, thanks to Soundandvision.com

Krell showcase 7

1102krell.8.jpg

Denon

denavrmeas.jpg

Marantz

808mar.fig.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One can argue that THD+N is not a good criteria, but one would be hard pressed to tell which criteria those "hi end" vintage gear did better.., and try telling Amir that too..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Jokes aside, the Krell show case 7's 140 W at 0.1% thd is not great, in fact easily beaten by a good Denon or Marantz receiver. So that smart response "Denon" may have merit..
Wait. The Krell is only 140W? And I was thinking it was 200W or 250W, etc.

Just 140W? Please. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
WTF? Seriously 120W?????

There' no point buying external amps that can't even output as much as some AVRs. Jeez. :D
so, if an 'external' amp can double down into a 4 ohm load and perhaps even double down again into a 2 ohm load its 120watt rating (@ 8 ohm) means something IMO. Very few AVR's that I know of can double down into a 4 ohm load and probably go into protection mode if presented with a 2 ohm load.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
so, if an 'external' amp can double down into a 4 ohm load and perhaps even double down again into a 2 ohm load its 120watt rating (@ 8 ohm) means something IMO. Very few AVR's that I know of can double down into a 4 ohm load and probably go into protection mode if presented with a 2 ohm load.
You have a point. Some speakers might need that extra juice. I'm still thinking sexy cables, sexy amps, sexy bikinis, and karaoke. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What 2 ch amp actually can double down without manipulation of the spec, tho? What avr even says it can "double down"?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis