Monolith 10 vs RSL Speedwoofer 10 vs SVS PB-1000

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 12in ported HSU VTF2 mk5 has a lot more output than the 10in subs you listed.
I just edited that in! He was dismissing them earlier so I didn't think of them. I agree with you tho.

The VTF-2 should be the clear winner here in terms of performance.

bsas

bsas

Audioholic Intern
Well, I was dismissing HSU for a couple of reasons:

1) Adding shipping and tax the HSU comes far more, almost $250 more in my case (specially because I've got an 10% discount coupon on SVS);
2) They are far bigger.

Answering your previous question Pogre, yes, I've got two (I don't think single sub is worth it, I always go with at least 2 subs). I am blown away by the SVS and I think the output and headroom (I did some compression measurements in my room) are far more then what I need, so, I am happy with them, so, raw output in my case is not a main concern. I am more concern on sound to be honest.

So, my question was (and still is), ignoring raw output, which one of those subs "sound" better? I am just tired of using old "rumble boxes" and I want to listen clear bass tones :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well, I was dismissing HSU for a couple of reasons:

1) Adding shipping and tax the HSU comes far more, almost $250 more in my case (specially because I've got an 10% discount coupon on SVS);
2) They are far bigger.

Answering your previous question Pogre, yes, I've got two (I don't think single sub is worth it, I always go with at least 2 subs). I am blown away by the SVS and I think the output and headroom (I did some compression measurements in my room) are far more then what I need, so, I am happy with them, so, raw output in my case is not a main concern. I am more concern on sound to be honest.

So, my question was (and still is), ignoring raw output, which one of those subs "sound" better? I am just tired of using old "rumble boxes" and I want to listen clear bass tones :D
The Hsu subs will have a performance advantage, but if you already have the headroom you need, they won't do that much more for you. They do dig a bit deeper. Probably isn't worth the effort or expense until you feel you want a bit more punch. The SVS subs all have very good baseline performance.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This!
I'm not sure about Hsu, but RSL might offer a trial run also. If so get them ordered asap and you can do some listening tests between the 2. My heart says go with SVS but on paper the Speedwoofer might outperform it.
Compare them directly!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I have a PB1000 and I’m not impressed after owning it for a year. It goes low and loud but sounds like mud. It’s worthless for music and not much better for movies unless you just want your pants to vibrate a little and think that’s all bass is for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have a PB1000 and I’m not impressed after owning it for a year. It goes low and loud but sounds like mud. It’s worthless for music and not much better for movies unless you just want your pants to vibrate a little and think that’s all bass is for!

The PB1000 has been measured and shown itself to be a very linear sub. If you are having clarity problems with it regarding bass, sounds to me like a set up issue.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The PB1000 has been measured and shown itself to be a very linear sub. If you are having clarity problems with it regarding bass, sounds to me like a set up issue.
Definitely! Sub integration can be a painstaking process in some rooms. I've been wanting to try open baffle subs because of their easier interaction with the room but from what I've read you need multiples or big drivers to get the very lowest frequencies at higher spl.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitely! Sub integration can be a painstaking process in some rooms. I've been wanting to try open baffle subs because of their easier interaction with the room but from what I've read you need multiples or big drivers to get the very lowest frequencies at higher spl.
I can't imagine that an open baffle subwoofer would be easier to integrate. I can't imagine it would have any advantage whatsoever. It would suffer a lot of cancellation. Where are you reading that someone is advocating an open baffle sub? Do you mean infinite baffle sub? because that is another thing entirely.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I can't imagine that an open baffle subwoofer would be easier to integrate. I can't imagine it would have any advantage whatsoever. It would suffer a lot of cancellation. Where are you reading that someone is advocating an open baffle sub? Do you mean infinite baffle sub? because that is another thing entirely.
Linkwitz and Danny Ritchie are the main ones. DiPole in h or w frames where the discussions. There still is setup involved but there conclusion was subjectively they sound better.
Why is Bass Reproduction from a Dipole Woofer in a Living Room Often Subjectively More Accurate than from a Monopole Woofer?, JAES, Vol. 51, No. 11, Nov. 2003

They both address low frequency limitations and ways to address them.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve run Audessey and moved it around a lot. Sometimes specs on paper don’t equal quality sound.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I’ve run Audessey and moved it around a lot. Sometimes specs on paper don’t equal quality sound.

I have 2 PB 100’s my only regret is that I didn’t get 200’s just because. Just like I purchased a 65” tv and wish I had purchased a 75”.
I have a pretty big room and they sound great for music and movies.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Do you have a way to take measurements? That would provide some answers

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
When I had the SVS PB-1000 it did great for music and HT in my small to medium space studio apt in NY(In South FL now). I really miss it.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
It is in a 2500 ft.³ room so that may come into play. Maybe a couple more would do the trick?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Linkwitz and Danny Ritchie are the main ones. DiPole in h or w frames where the discussions. There still is setup involved but there conclusion was subjectively they sound better.
Why is Bass Reproduction from a Dipole Woofer in a Living Room Often Subjectively More Accurate than from a Monopole Woofer?, JAES, Vol. 51, No. 11, Nov. 2003

They both address low frequency limitations and ways to address them.
I believe Earl Geddes looked into the matter as well and found that the results weren't better. You do lessen the activation of some room modes but you also create huge suck-outs that can have a big blow to the SPL. What's more is that it makes integrating a multiple subs system difficult in that the point of a multi-sub system is to smooth out the response by activating as many room modes as possible. On top of that, the main advantages for that type of system comes in mid-bass frequencies above the subwoofer frequency band, above 100 Hz. Look at many of Legacy's speakers, for example, many of them are open baffle except the subwoofer section. The wavelengths are too long and that can sap SPL over the entire area. A dipole sub might be interesting to experiment with in a groundplane setting but I wouldn't want to deal with one for home use. It would be far better just to use multiple monopole subs to average out the response and then maybe use some light EQing to reduce peaks at the listening position if needed.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Woweee $399.00 FOR THE PB1000!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Woweee $399.00 FOR THE PB1000!!!
Oh yeah! SVS sent me an email and are having a President's Day "blowout sale" in their outlet again. I was gonna make a post about that. A lot of the pricing is pretty standard for their outlet but sometimes there are some real goodies in there!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

By move around a lot did you start off with a sub crawl? The specs to sound thing is an odd comment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis