davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So instead of starting a new thread I'll ask it here. Which TT and phono carts do you own and use and apx how many lps do you own?
For me Rega Planar 3 with a Rega Carbon conical cart. and a LP gear elliptical stylus upgrade.
About 100 lps currently mostly purchased used but some sound almost perfect.
Back in the day when I was really into vinyl I did have multiple TTs with many carts including a dynavector moving coil cart which to this day was the best sounding cart I ever owned. TTs included Dual Technics and Thorens and more carts than I can list. And probably 300 lps some of which I wish I would have kept.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So instead of starting a new thread I'll ask it here. Which TT and phono carts do you own and use and apx how many lps do you own?
For me Rega Planar 3 with a Rega Carbon conical cart. and a LP gear elliptical stylus upgrade.
About 100 lps currently mostly purchased used but some sound almost perfect.
Back in the day when I was really into vinyl I did have multiple TTs with many carts including a dynavector moving coil cart which to this day was the best sounding cart I ever owned. TTs included Dual Technics and Thorens and more carts than I can list. And probably 300 lps some of which I wish I would have kept.
I still think you should have started a separate thread....but I'm still using my Technics SL1200mk2 for the last 36 years now (after replacing my Dual 1219), current cart is a Shure M97xE, not a huge list of previous carts but a variety of brands (Grado and Shure have tended to be my go-to brands, tho). I still have all my LPs, plus some that friends gave me as they gave up playing vinyl, so somewhere near 800 I think, maybe 150 45s. I largely don't use them tho, when cd's came out I made the switch fairly quickly (and own a lot more albums in digital format), haven't bought new vinyl in well over 20 years now, and just play them occasionally mostly for nostalgia or something I don't have a digital version of....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
That is a nice Technics TT btw. Still holding up after 30 years is pretty awesome. And I like you listen to my cds more than me lps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is a nice Technics TT btw. Still holding up after 30 years is pretty awesome. And I like you listen to my cds more than me lps.
It's a tank, have had to do very little with it to keep it running aside from lubrication (biggest was the arm height adjustment mechanism that froze and I had to dig into the guts underneath the plinth so I could access, clean and re-grease it). These days only the multich discs do I actually play, otherwise I'm playing/streaming the flacs I made from the cds....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
First off, David, Rega makes a very nice selection TT's for sure ! My brother in-law just recently got back in the game with a '3' to resurrect his analog itch.

As for my current analog rig..... TT is a VPI Aries III, Benz Micro Gull-Wing cart, Fosgate phono-pre. LP's - 1500 + or - 200. While I am completely happy with my current rig I have nothing but fond memories of my set up from back 'in the day' ........ Kenwood KD 500 TT, Premier MMT arm, Grace F9e super cartridge. My all time favorite moving magnet cartridge

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I still think you should have started a separate thread....but I'm still using my Technics SL1200mk2
a cult direct drive TT if there ever was one !

the current iteration (SL-1200G) would be my choice should my VPI give up the ghost.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall

the current iteration (SL-1200G) would be my choice should my VPI give up the ghost.
I'm lovin' my SL-1210GR but not for expected performance. Instead, it's the ease of cartridge alignment which is most compelling to me. Even for cartridges which do not have self contained nuts it still just takes a few minutes to realize the Technics alignment scheme.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Just different than the cult of belt drive or even VPI. Just a solid performer. I wouldn't ever replace it, if it goes, so does the vinyl....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
covers a broad range of affordable cartridges along with a few 'cult' favorite, Denon DL-103 for example.
Now you got me looking at the Denon DL103. :) Way over my budget, but I may save for it. later.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
covers a broad range of affordable cartridges along with a few 'cult' favorite, Denon DL-103 for example.
Of that list I only owned a Dynavector DX3 not DX5 back in the 80s. Best sounding cart I ever owned even better than my Shure V15 3 and 4 back then. Still I don't want to deal with the hassle of mailing off a cart for retipping so I'm good with MM carts these days.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Of that list I only owned a Dynavector DX3 not DX5 back in the 80s. Best sounding cart I ever owned even better than my Shure V15 3 and 4 back then. Still I don't want to deal with the hassle of mailing off a cart for retipping so I'm good with MM carts these days.
I hear 'ya David, my 'back in the day' cartridge, Grace F9e super, long gone from production was my go to MM.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Denon DL103 Is it still worth getting for $150?

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Denon DL103 Is it still worth getting?
when I responded with 'cult' following that meant it is still a damn fine cartridge. I f memory serves me correctly there are few others (variants) that have followed ..........

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
when I responded with 'cult' following that meant it is still a damn fine cartridge. I f memory serves me correctly there are few others (variants) that have followed ..........

THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE. SO I'M GUESSING THE DENON 103 CAN WHOOP THE AT120 CARTRIDGE? :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
SO I'M GUESSING THE DENON 103 CAN WHOOP THE AT120 CARTRIDGE? :D
is the AT-120 still in production ? regardless I'm assuming it's a moving magnet(iron) whereas the Denon is a moving coil. I've listened to the Denon multiple times in my sons kit before he moved up to Lyra cart and as I said earlier, one damn good cartridge. I would doubt that the AT would be as revealing .......

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks man. The AT120 is Discontinued, but they could be found on ebay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis