davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Field Marshall
Good thing I buy mostly used at half price books and other used record stores. I have purchased some duds but more good than bad and some sound absolutely clean. Of course playing used LPs with a conical cart does tend to smooth out some of the noise...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
davidscott

davidscott

New AT cartridges
Great idea one cart body for almost any stylus type. If I didn't already have a Rega Carbon with both an elliptical stylus from LP gear and an ATN91R conical stylus (both brand new) I would probably by the new conical model.
Then I could swap out many different styli without the hassle of replacing an entire cartridge. (A pain on a Rega if its not a REGA cart.
I saw some good reviews on those also.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Spartan
Thinking about these. Seem to get decent reviews:
View attachment 33634
On another subject seller of the bootleg AT120(orange in ad) sent me a red version like this one to me it looks like the at103. Anyone know if it is the AT120 or similar? I haven't tried it yet.
Seller sent this message:

Hi,

Actually this is the 381-DE. It's only ina different color, did you try it on your cartridge ?

I still can take it as a return for a refund.

Thanks and sorry about the situation

Was listening to the. Mark lll is fantastic very little pop on my vinyl. Not bad for $8.50.
And in other news...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Chief
understood John, but the slightly used one(Denon) that Jose was looking at for $155 delivered would be considered a bargain. I've heard the Dl-103 numerous times and feel it's superb cart, never heard the modified Zu version though
Sorry - I was just being silly. I know @afterlife2 has a budget and does a heck of a lot of research. I saw an online reviewer had installed the Zu on his "budget" TT, which I though a bit incongruous. Really the only reason it attached itself to my brain...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic General
Sorry - I was just being silly. I know @afterlife2 has a budget and does a heck of a lot of research. I saw an online reviewer had installed the Zu on his "budget" TT, which I though a bit incongruous. Really the only reason it attached itself to my brain...
the reality is in the world of phono cartridges $800 is a long way away from what one can spend. While I would never dream of spending 5 figures on a cart the ability of better cartridges to track 'deeper in the groves' is worth the extra $$ IMO. I think the $500-1500 arena offers some mighty fine examples

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Chief
the reality is in the world of phono cartridges $800 is a long way away from what one can spend. While I would never dream of spending 5 figures on a cart the ability of better cartridges to track 'deeper in the groves' is worth the extra $$ IMO. I think the $500-1500 arena offers some mighty fine examples
Oh, no doubt!
1581441082187.png

Kidding aside, I totally agree. My own TT came pre-mounted with a Sumiko Pearl. It sounds nice enough and I understand why Pro-Ject chose it for this price bracket as it is very easy going ("sins of omission"). I have not experimented (yet) but I would imagine, at the least, doubling the Pearl's retail price to get another rung up the ladder.

davidscott

davidscott

Oh, no doubt!
View attachment 34012

Kidding aside, I totally agree. My own TT came pre-mounted with a Sumiko Pearl. It sounds nice enough and I understand why Pro-Ject chose it for this price bracket as it is very easy going ("sins of omission"). I have not experimented (yet) but I would imagine, at the least, doubling the Pearl's retail price to get another rung up the ladder.
My Rega Carbon is similar - sins of omission. Especially good for me as I buy most of my Vinyl used. I also picked up an LP gear elliptical stylus upgrade but hardly ever use it.
Nice Koetsu $16000 cost way way more than my entire system.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis