afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Forgot to mention I bought this cart used on fleabay last week. I used to own this cart before the sandy storm and always wanted to re-buy it. I also ordered the bootleg needle on ebay:
8156-Audio-Technica-AT-120-Eb-Tonabnehmer-TA00335-AT.jpg

generic-needle-stylus-for-audio-technica-atn120e-at120e-atn-120e.jpeg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Forgot to mention I bought this cart used on fleabay last week. I used to own this cart before the sandy storm and always wanted to re-buy it. I also ordered the bootleg needle on ebay:
View attachment 33302
View attachment 33303
SCHWEET! I always heard good things about the 120s. On what TT are you going to install that beauty? Currently I'm running a REGA Carbon (basically an AT 3600) with a LP Gear elliptical stylus upgrade made by AT on a vintage Planar 3. Both LP gear and TT Labs carry an assortment of AT replacement styli for most AT carts.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
SCHWEET! I always heard good things about the 120s. On what TT are you going to install that beauty? Currently I'm running a REGA Carbon (basically an AT 3600) with a LP Gear elliptical stylus upgrade made by AT on a vintage Planar 3. Both LP gear and TT Labs carry an assortment of AT replacement styli for most AT carts.
Thanks David! I bought the 2nd turntable just in case the Pioneer has a problem Audio wise and also cause I wanted an automatic table + I love those orange lights. :) Yes the SQ on the AT120 is fantastic, but the AT110 is real close in SQ quality. I really do like both. I'm hopeful I'll like the AT3600, which should be here this week hopefully.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got my AT3600 and AT110E cartS today will install them this weekend. Hooray! Rah:p

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Got my AT3600 and AT110E cartS today will install them this weekend. Hooray! Rah:p
My Rega carbon conical without the LP gear elliptical stylus upgrade is very musical. I think I prefer it to the LP upgrade but both sound good and the elliptical should track a little better on the inner groves. Enjoy!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ah Anticipation....
Sorry couldn't resist. :)
Son of a gun. Haha yep that song was played alot that night.
I'm very impressed with with the AT3600 and of course my AT110. Found a Lionel Richie LP in mint condition today for 1 buck. Waiting for my AT120. Fun to change cartS. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
IMG_20200125_110551_806.jpg

IMG_20200125_110803_562.jpg

IMG_20200125_110708_124.jpg
IMG_20200125_110624_928.jpg
IMG_20200125_110741_833.jpg

Anyone here knows this cartridge? It came with my Hitachi TT. Would the HITACHI DS-ST30 stylus work with it? Thanks!
Could this be it?

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
View attachment 33603
View attachment 33604
View attachment 33605View attachment 33606View attachment 33607
Anyone here knows this cartridge? It came with my Hitachi TT. Would the HITACHI DS-ST30 stylus work with it? Thanks!
Could this be it?
e: help with ADC cartridge identification

Post by Tubedriver » 10 Jul 2012 19:58

ADC ELM MKI pics

looks like it might be one of these

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just make sure you can return it. As I recall a lot of those old ADC carts looked pretty similar. Never owned one myself but I heard good things about them.
Thinking about these. Seem to get decent reviews:
IMG_20200127_085449_596.jpg

On another subject seller of the bootleg AT120(orange in ad) sent me a red version like this one to me it looks like the at103. Anyone know if it is the AT120 or similar? I haven't tried it yet.
Seller sent this message:

Hi,

Actually this is the 381-DE. It's only ina different color, did you try it on your cartridge ?

I still can take it as a return for a refund.

Thanks and sorry about the situation

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking about these. Seem to get decent reviews:
View attachment 33634
On another subject seller of the bootleg AT120(orange in ad) sent me a red version like this one to me it looks like the at103. Anyone know if it is the AT120 or similar? I haven't tried it yet.
Seller sent this message:

Hi,

Actually this is the 381-DE. It's only ina different color, did you try it on your cartridge ?

I still can take it as a return for a refund.

Thanks and sorry about the situation
Those ADC replacement carts are inexpensive so you won't be out much if they don't work out. If you look at the specs of that AT120 replacement you will see that it is a conical not elliptical like the original. I don't know that I would downgrade that excellent cartridge with that generic knockoff stylus. But that is just me. Best of luck.
PS I have 2 different stylus replacements for my Rega Carbon. One is an AT conical the other a LP Gear elliptical. So far they both seem to work ok but the original still sounds fine to me.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those ADC replacement carts are inexpensive so you won't be out much if they don't work out. If you look at the specs of that AT120 replacement you will see that it is a conical not elliptical like the original. I don't know that I would downgrade that excellent cartridge with that generic knockoff stylus. But that is just me. Best of luck.
PS I have 2 different stylus replacements for my Rega Carbon. One is an AT conical the other a LP Gear elliptical. So far they both seem to work ok but the original still sounds fine to me.
Thank man you know your stuff. Is the original at103 a conical?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thank man you know your stuff. Is the original at103 a conical?
[/QUOTE
From EU Audio Technica
AT103 Elliptical VMN20EB Any VNM model can be selected
Discontinued so it looks like it originally came with an elliptical stylus.
Sorry I am not familiar with that model.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
In response to David Harpers post on why any given LP could sound better than it's CD counterpart ......

He questioned the mastering which I believe to be pretty much spot on. I stated in an earlier post that both the digital and analog domains can shine 'when properly done'. A prime example of superb analog is the recordings done by David Rawlings and Gillian Welsh. They are very much committed to analog and it shows in the various pressings I have of their music, excellent !

Also remember this, with the recent resurgence back into analog many of the LP's offered today were digitally mastered and then converted to analog, I see no logic in that, thus less than satisfying sound.

As for Sterlings brief return to vinyl and his mention of the snap, crackle and pop. Well a cleaning ritual is a must IMO if you expect to get the most out of your LP's

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In response to David Harpers post on why any given LP could sound better than it's CD counterpart ......

He questioned the mastering which I believe to be pretty much spot on. I stated in an earlier post that both the digital and analog domains can shine 'when properly done'. A prime example of superb analog is the recordings done by David Rawlings and Gillian Welsh. They are very much committed to analog and it shows in the various pressings I have of their music, excellent !

Also remember this, with the recent resurgence back into analog many of the LP's offered today were digitally mastered and then converted to analog, I see no logic in that, thus less than satisfying sound.

As for Sterlings brief return to vinyl and his mention of the snap, crackle and pop. Well a cleaning ritual is a must IMO if you expect to get the most out of your LP's
Digital audio files can be sent from one studio to another over the internet and if it's geographically impossible for one (or more) artist(s) to get together to make a recording, it's the better way to accomplish this. Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney made some recordings this way. Digital files also take up little physical space and that's a bonus for many people and entities that need to store a lot of material, like radio stations. Digital isn't always bad, it's just a matter of the engineers & producers not caring enough to make the best product and it's well known that some digital recordings are among the best ever made- Telarc and many of the classical labels have made excellent sounding recordings in both formats. The problem of converting from digital to analog is the same as converting from analog to digital for many of the first CDs- the material MUST be mastered for the format on which it will be offered. If they just make LPs from the masters for CDs or vise versa, material WILL NOT and CAN NOT sound the same as it did in the mastering process. If someone doesn't remaster when changing formats, they're being cheap and lazy.

As far as clicks & pops- it's not always avoidable, but it can be minimized by proper cleaning and removing static electricity.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im media agnostic. As long as the recording is well mastered, I could care less which media its sitting on. Im a huge fan of the blues and unfortunately, some of the obscure blue artists that I search for only produced on vinyl.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Im media agnostic. As long as the recording is well mastered, I could care less which media its sitting on. Im a huge fan of the blues and unfortunately, some of the obscure blue artists that I search for only produced on vinyl.
and to that I'm all but certain no-one is /has done more to record and preserve the legacy of the 'Blues' than Chad Kassem and his Blue Heaven studios in Salina, Ks.

Back in the spring of '06 while attending the Martin Logan convention we had the opportunity to tour the studio (old Methodist Church) in Salina along with Chad's Acoustic Sounds facility.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis