Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
A bit overwhelming at first compared to other manufacturers. However, once I realised that inputs are different from scenes, it made more sense.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
A bit overwhelming at first compared to other manufacturers. However, once I realised that inputs are different from scenes, it made more sense.
Configuring and saving Scenes could be explained a lot better in the User Manual but it's not. It took me a few phone calls and emails to get it down.

S

sakete

Audioholic
Configuring and saving Scenes could be explained a lot better in the User Manual but it's not. It took me a few phone calls and emails to get it down.
Just have to set every setting the way you want it, and then save it as a scene.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Just have to set every setting the way you want it, and then save it as a scene.
Yep. It just took me awhile to figure out that not all changes can be saved thru the menu. Some of them have to made at the receiver for them to be properly saved.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. I thought their $8,000 A-S3000 Integrated Amp was expensive. :D

NS-5000 speakers ($15,000/pair with stands)
C-5000 preamp ($10,000)
M-5000 amplifier ($10,000)
GT-5000 turntable ($8,000)

I've not heard any of this stuff. That said the speakers do have a nice robust build with good thick cabinets which will greatly reduce cabinet vibrations, a major problem in loudspeakers. I also very much like that in their turntable, the elimination of the aluminum tonearm for the far more rigid carbon fiber tonearm, going belt drive using both a heavy platter and a quartz locked controlled motor.

D

downbythepylons

Audioholic Intern
Hello all I am have older 683 AVR. Recently got a new phone an the av controller ap no longer fu cations as it stays in demo minded. Which is strange as the music cast works dine

anyway I suspect the firm ware was upgraded and my avr no longer supports this although if true that’s sad by a Yamaha
. Anyway. Anyone have any suggestions to fix or maybe even try to downgrade to an earlier version if this is the real source of the problem

thanks

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I’ve been a Denon user for a very long time. But when my Denon AVP-A1HDCI died after 8 years and the Denon NJ factory couldn’t fix it after 2 attempts, I decided to “defect” to the Yamaha camp during the summer of 2018.

Thus, I am relatively new to Yamaha AVR, pre-pros, and amps.

What are some advices you can think of that might help new Yamaha users?

What are some cool and handy features and apps that might enhance the enjoyment?

Or if you have questions, concerns, or general thoughts, let’s hear them!
I join you in your brand change. I’m a long time Denon user. I have picked up a Yamaha that was never used much, an AVR-3800. I believe it was $1.6k back in the day. It is an excellent receiver, especially in two channel mode. It’s a heavy buggar so it must have some meat to it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I join you in your brand change. I’m a long time Denon user. I have picked up a Yamaha that was never used much, an AVR-3800. I believe it was $1.6k back in the day. It is an excellent receiver, especially in two channel mode. It’s a heavy buggar so it must have some meat to it.
We all have to go with our experience. As long as Yamaha remains more reliable and compatible for me, it will be my brand forever. Time will tell. :D

C

CoryW

Audioholic
We all have to go with our experience. As long as Yamaha remains more reliable and compatible for me, it will be my brand forever. Time will tell. :D
Ever since my Nakamichi AV-10 died, I’ve been trashy. I’ll let any brand in my bed.....room. I’ve got big 70 lb Pioneer, 55 lb Onkyo, all THX2 and the Yamaha. Just a player....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
.... I also very much like that in their turntable, ... using both a heavy platter and a quartz locked controlled motor.
Are you talking about the outer platter or the inner platter?:rolleyes:
That is a rhetorical question.
I just got a kick out of their describing it as such. Perhaps it will make sense later when they get specific, but for now I feel pretty certain that these are probably two separate pieces that get physically locked (glued, welded, bolted, etc) to each other so as to effectively become a single platter, but you know how those guys in the marketing are...:rolleyes:. Of course, in the end 15+ pounds of platter is a good thing!

Another place that got my BS meter twitching:
A patented acoustic absorber helps “revive the original presence of the music” by eliminating the need for sound-absorbing material...
What genius - to replace the sound absorbers with acoustic absorbers!

I'm sure (at least I hope) there is more to it than that once we get details, but in the meantime I'll entertain myself on how marketing makes something that is well developed technology seem like it has a bunch of new and clever breakthrough technology that is of crucial audio significance!

Whenever a company releases an over-the-top high dollar product like this, the marketing department is tasked with communicating what makes it so special and I like to think there are a few engineers and marketing guys giggling at the creative descriptions they came up with - I'll giggle with them!

@PENG , when they speak of a floating ground, does that mean more than saying it is designed to use a two prong power cord?:D Is this really likely to be something special?

On a more serious note, it seems strange that they did not go for a few more watts for the amp. I am sure it is a very well designed amp and is tremendously reliable, but it just seems like they would at least add another 50 watts to it. I mean if I was a customer playing at this $ level, I would not want to second guess whether I had enough power for my exotic speakers and 100W is a standard AVR power rating, I'd want to throw a few more thousand into an amp that offered the comforting assurance of more power.
Yamaha states that they developed these units to be used with one another in which case I'd expect 100W is plenty to power their speaker, but surely they are interested in selling these units individually! Otherwise they should bundle it and sell it as a $43,000 SSoP (Stereo System on a Pallet)!:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think they are way overpriced... need to cut those prices down at lest 50%.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Even at 50% discount, it would still make the Benchmark amp (that has way better specs) a super bargain.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think they are way overpriced... need to cut those prices down at lest 50%.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I think these overpriced Yamaha components are for those billionaires who already own a collection of Yamaha's and just want to add another Yamaha to their collection - Pianos, Yachts, Jet-skies, Motorcycles, Super-cars, Helicopters, etc. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
when they speak of a floating ground, does that mean more than saying it is designed to use a two prong power cord?:D Is this really likely to be something special?
Yes, if the power cord is two prong then the chassis "ground/return" is not grounded (not directly connected to earth ground),but in this case they are talking about end to end fully balanced signal path so the return is naturally not "grounded" anyway. According to the Yamaha website:

"The C-5000 features fully balanced and discrete circuit transmission across all stages of the signal path at Tone Defeat. The patented floating design is adopted across the phono EQ, input amp and line amp stages — removing the influence of ground noise from the signal."

I don't know what's special about this, but apparently enough for it to be patented.

On a more serious note, it seems strange that they did not go for a few more watts for the amp.:)
For comparison, the $7000-$7000 Denon flagship integrated amps (heavier than the M5000) are rated only 50 WPC, and Marantz ref integrated amps were rated 100 WPC though their newest ones that use SMPS are now rated 200 WPC. So the M-5000 is price competitive with D&M's integrated but not if you include the $10,000 matching preamp. If I had the spare money, I would opt for two AHB2 instead for sure.[/QUOTE]

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think these overpriced Yamaha components are for those billionaires who already own a collection of Yamaha's and just want to add another Yamaha to their collection - Pianos, Yachts, Jet-skies, Motorcycles, Super-cars, Helicopters, etc. :D

What's the deal with the car in the lower right corner?
Are they making auto engines again?
I remember when they used to make the SHO (Super High Output) 3.0 DOHC V-6 motor (which redlined at 7,000rpm!) for Ford's Taurus which, with manual transmission and especially in the wagon, made for a pretty sporty family car! 0-60 in 6.6s was pretty good for a non-exotic family car!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know what's special about this, but apparently enough for it to be patented.
In my experience working for a Japanese company, the Japanese are a little "patent happy". They may have very good reason for it, but they patent many things that others would look at as pretty normal. I have no idea if that is the case here, but I know of a clever design for clothes hanger hooks used by Audi was later patented and used by Nissan (I think it was Nissan). I don't think Nissan could really prevent other companies from using it since it is easy to establish that Audi had done it for years and thousands of vehicles first, but I guess it does prevent Audi from telling Nissan they can't use it (maybe? I know nothing about patent law, LOL)!
If nothing else, over time it gives them a legacy of innovation if they can cite so many patents held by Japanese companies.
My general thought of Japan is an industrious country that is excellent at producing and refining, but not so much new innovations/creativity. I wonder if that somehow reflects on the culture/values of their society. Or maybe I am simply ignorant of the innovations the Japanese have made!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's the deal with the car in the lower right corner?
Are they making auto engines again?
I remember when they used to make the SHO (Super High Output) 3.0 DOHC V-6 motor (which redlined at 7,000rpm!) for Ford's Taurus which, with manual transmission and especially in the wagon, made for a pretty sporty family car! 0-60 in 6.6s was pretty good for a non-exotic family car!
I don't think Yamaha is actively making any new cars right now. :D

That picture was just to show that Yamaha has made them. And if you're one of those billionaires collecting Yamaha's, these new Yamaha separates are just pocket change for you. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis