Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

3db

3db

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW,

IHO, Yamaha does not need this kind of marketing mumbo jumbo. They build stellar reliable products as it is and built its success on its QC. Maybe, this marketing speak is to rope in the audiophiles who rather believe in magic than science. Thats all I can think of. If I were that well off to afford these, I would purchase these components because I know that they will be around and most likely bury me in 30 years .

P

PENG

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW,

IHO, Yamaha does not need this kind of marketing mumbo jumbo.
They definitely don't "need", but like others, they do do it, don't they (like those anti-vibration stuff)?;)

I would purchase these components because I know that they will be around and most likely bury me in 30 years .
Me, too, if just for their good looks, afaic best look/$!!

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
All part of Yamaha's top of marketing position posturing...
Extremely important in certain markets such as domestic Japan...
By providing super build materials and quality besides exceptional electrical specs. Total tooling cost for this series was >$4 million, 1st production run is 100 pcs each...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha doesn't publish much detailed specs on some of their products:

In my opinion, that stereo receiver probably has a power rating of about 60w/ch with THD <0.1% at best. But why don't they indicate it in their specs? People might be mislead in thinking that the product is more powerful than it really is by reading what is published. It's poor marketing publicity.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha doesn't publish much detailed specs on some of their products:

In my opinion, that stereo receiver probably has a power rating of about 60w/ch at best. But why don't they indicate it in their specs? People might be mislead in thinking that the product is more powerful than it really is by reading what is published. It's poor marketing publicity.
Was curious about it so looked. Odd about the lower end quoted at 40 hz on the basic rating....wonder what happens if you rate it to normal 20?
From the owner's manual:
• Minimum RMS output power(8 , 40 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.2% THD)
[North America, General, China, Korea, Australia and Europe models] 100 W + 100 W
[Asia model] 85 W + 85 W
Dynamic power per channel (8 6 4 2 IHF) 125 W/150 W/165 W/180 W
Maximum power per channel (4 1 kHz, 0.7%, THD)[Europe model] 115 W
Maximum effective output power (8 1 kHz, 10%, THD)[General model]140 W
[Asia model] 125 W

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Samurai
Was curious about it so looked. Odd about the lower end quoted at 40 hz on the basic rating....wonder what happens if you rate it to normal 20?
From the owner's manual:
• Minimum RMS output power(8 , 40 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.2% THD)
[North America, General, China, Korea, Australia and Europe models] 100 W + 100 W
[Asia model] 85 W + 85 W
Dynamic power per channel (8 6 4 2 IHF) 125 W/150 W/165 W/180 W
Maximum power per channel (4 1 kHz, 0.7%, THD)[Europe model] 115 W
Maximum effective output power (8 1 kHz, 10%, THD)[General model]140 W
[Asia model] 125 W
Yes, Yamaha have been producing some budget priced receivers for several years. I noticed that most of them have a low frequency response starting at 40 Hz. That's really weird.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, Yamaha have been producing some budget priced receivers for several years. I noticed that most of them have a low frequency response starting at 40 Hz. That's really weird.
Yamaha: Hey, we just care about being #1 in reliability and compatibility. Screw power and pre-out voltage. And if you can't afford higher-end components, then, well, you don't need anything below 40Hz. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Samurai
I found another setting on my Yamaha today. You can enable a phantom surround back channel in the setup menu. It’s called virtual surround back.
Anyhow it won’t do anything even when enabled, unless you use a dsp. For example “Movie Standard.” If it’s workin, “Virtual” appears or the right side of the display. (My Yamaha is RXA2060 and I currently have a 5.1 setup)
It does an ok job of simulating the surround back actually. Anyhow just another feature I found today. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Overlord
I found another setting on my Yamaha today. You can enable a phantom surround back channel in the setup menu. It’s called virtual surround back.
Anyhow it won’t do anything even when enabled, unless you use a dsp. For example “Movie Standard.” If it’s workin, “Virtual” appears or the right side of the display. (My Yamaha is RXA2060 and I currently have a 5.1 setup)
It does an ok job of simulating the surround back actually. Anyhow just another feature I found today. :)
Its good to play and try different out options. At one point, I was forced to learn about reassigning inputs on an RX-V1900 as I just didnt have enough inputs. It saved my bacon.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis