Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, I live in a studio. I don't have this opportunity. But yes I ran the ypao several times...
Ok I was able to recreate something similar with my SVS wireless sub transmitter. I’m guessing your issue could be related to wireless or WiFi interference.

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Ok I was able to recreate something similar with my SVS wireless sub transmitter. I’m guessing your issue could be related to wireless or WiFi interference.
Hmm.. What does that mean? I have the receiver very close to the router and the tv box. I have also the cables there of everything. However, I use a wired connection for the receiver and for the PS3 also. I used a wired connection for the tv but I disconnected it just to see if it arranges the problem. Nothing else connected. Do you think it's an interference?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm.. What does that mean? I have the receiver very close to the router and the tv box. I have also the cables there of everything. However, I use a wired connection for the receiver and for the PS3 also. I used a wired connection for the tv but I disconnected it just to see if it arranges the problem. Nothing else connected. Do you think it's an interference?
Yes that’s my guess. In a condo the interference might be from another unit though.

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Yes that’s my guess. In a condo the interference might be from another unit though.
Thank you for the suggestion! Will it be enough to unplug the cable and turn off all my wifi from the socket and try through the USB or the radio of the receiver to see if the problem persists? What do you think?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for the suggestion! Will it be enough to unplug the cable and turn off all my wifi from the socket and try through the USB or the radio of the receiver to see if the problem persists? What do you think?
Yep try that first. I’m not sure how to tell what other wireless transmissions might be around your gear though

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Yep try that first. I’m not sure how to tell what other wireless transmissions might be around your gear though
I have just did it. Even in the menu of the USB, without having selected a song and without having played it or played it and stopped it or paused it, the problem is still there. ):

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have just did it. Even in the menu of the USB, without having selected a song and without having played it or played it and stopped it or paused it, the problem is still there. ):
Hmm well I think if you took the receiver and a speaker and sub to another spot (lobby???)., it could go away and prove if the gear is really the issue or the environment. Running out of ideas...

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Hmm well I think if you took the receiver and a speaker and sub to another spot (lobby???)., it could go away and prove if the gear is really the issue or the environment. Running out of ideas...
Tomorrow night i could move the receiver 15 metres away from the original spot (in the corridor), but i will connect only the left and right front and the center speaker. Will it be enough?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Tomorrow night i could move the receiver 15 metres away from the original spot (in the corridor), but i will connect only the left and right front and the center speaker. Will it be enough?
Ya or take those few items to a friends place to try.

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
I am new in town. Friends place would be difficult. I will do it in the corridor. Thank you. Tomorrow night i am posting results.

Tested. No result. The same sound from the speakers. What is strange is that I had I connected front left right and central. The panel of the receiver was showing that everything was connected. May be it's normal. I don't know. The question is that the result is the same ):

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Tested. No result. The same sound from the speakers. What is strange is that I had I connected front left right and central. The panel of the receiver was showing that everything was connected. May be it's normal. I don't know. The question is that the result is the same ):
It’s not normal to hear a pop or thump all the time. Maybe it is gear. Not sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am sorry. I dont understand. I read it through but I dont understand. I am not so advanced in recievers and dacs and amplifiers. Can you please tell me in few words what's happening....
"Nothing remotely coming close to state-of-the-art amplifiers but at least better than the competition."

So the Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR doesn't quite have State-of-the-Art Noise & Distortion measurements, but it's still better than some other AVRs tested.

Bottom line, even $300 AVRs have SNR, XT, FR, THD measurements that are inaudible. :D

S

sakete

Audioholic
"Nothing remotely coming close to state-of-the-art amplifiers but at least better than the competition."

So the Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR doesn't quite have State-of-the-Art Noise & Distortion measurements, but it's still better than some other AVRs tested.

Bottom line, even $300 AVRs have SNR, XT, FR, THD measurements that are inaudible. :D
I bet with $5000 audio cables you could hear the difference.

/s

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 2 measurements I've always looked at over the years on S&V Magazine are Full-Power-SNR and 1-kHz-XT.

According to that review, the A1080 has a Full-Power-SNR of 103dB or about 106dBA, which is expected, since the Yamaha RX-A3070 had a Full-Power-SNR of about 107dBA from S&V Magazine.

Pre-pros usually have better numbers:

Sound & Vision Magazine
Yamaha CX5100: SNR 130.92 dBA, XT 94.21 dB
Marantz AV8802: SNR 130.38dBA, XT 93.16dB
Krell Foundation: SNR 128.33dBA, XT 100.61dB
Anthem AVM-60: SNR 127.91dBA, XT 107.90dB
Integra DHC 60.5: SNR 127.11dBA, XT 95.18dB
Classe CT SSP: SNR 122.13dBA, XT 102.93dB
Bryston SP3: SNR 121.59dBA, XT 93.44dB
Cary Audio 12: SNR 121.03dBA, XT 93.41dB
Lexicon MC-8: SNR 120.18dBA, XT 92.64dB
AudioControl M9: SNR 118.63dBA, XT 91.55dB