What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
14W?

I've hit well over 100W on the meters with just half the speaker load on my Carver ribbons (i.e. Ribbon only and/or woofer only as I switched to a custom active crossover back in 1998). They do spend a lot of time in <5W range, though. Most material rarely goes above 64W on the woofers and 32W on the ribbons, though even with average levels in the mid 90s db. I did a test once up to 115db using continuous pink noise (with ear plugs in). That hit over 150W on the 8 Ohm scale and was louder than I'd ever want to go (Each TFM-35x amp tops out at 380W into 4 Ohms).
He's talking about 14W for a CPU (computer processor), not for speakers and amps.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've never heard of metering CPU power levels, only temperatures. Unless you're on batteries, what's the point?
So that you buy a power supply that isn't under-rated for your application!

Just like power amps, a PC power supply should be considered as a critical component for performance, and it is a good idea to buy "more than you should ever need" in that department.

EDIT: If you are buying an off the shelf PC, you likely never even considered this. If you are building up a PC, it is a valid consideration. And, I would not be surprised in the least to see under rated power supplies for entry level off the shelf PCs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've never heard of metering CPU power levels, only temperatures. Unless you're on batteries, what's the point?
Welcome to the world of PC building. :D

If you look at CPUs and GPUs, they will have power requirements/consumptions.

A CPU or GPU may have minimal power consumption/requirement at idle (like 13-14 watts). But depending on the applications (Gamers, Overclockers, Auto-CAD, 4K Video Editing) -- the power requirement of a CPU may be 100-200 Watts and GPUs may require 300 Watts or more.

Like the GeForce 2080S says "recommend 650W PSU".

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So that you buy a power supply that isn't under-rated for your application!

Just like power amps, a PC power supply should be considered as a critical component for performance, and it is a good idea to buy "more than you should ever need" in that department.

EDIT: If you are buying an off the shelf PC, you likely never even considered this. If you are building up a PC, it is a valid consideration. And, I would not be surprised in the least to see under rated power supplies for entry level off the shelf PCs.
Welcome to the world of PC building. :D

If you look at CPUs and GPUs, they will have power requirements/consumptions.

A CPU or GPU may have minimal power consumption/requirement at idle (like 13-14 watts). But depending on the applications (Gamers, Overclockers, Auto-CAD, 4K Video Editing) -- the power requirement of a CPU may be 100-200 Watts and GPUs may require 300 Watts or more.

Like the GeForce 2080S says "recommend 650W PSU".
Exactly the reason my gaming PC has an 850w Seasonic Platinum PSU. One of the best you can get and much more than I currently need, but I tend to keep them in use for 10 years or so. After that I replace just because if the PSU fails, it can take everything else with it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Exactly the reason my gaming PC has an 850w Seasonic Platinum PSU. One of the best you can get and much more than I currently need, but I tend to keep them in use for 10 years or so. After that I replace just because if the PSU fails, it can take everything else with it.
Well, not just that, but reduced performance before complete failure can make everything go wonky! Voltage and intermittent P/S problems can cause digital signals to not properly trigger the high/low state (i.e. not properly trigger the 1/0 states), then all bets are off!

I've seen it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, not just that, but reduced performance before complete failure can make everything go wonky! Voltage and intermittent P/S problems can cause digital signals to not properly trigger the high/low state (i.e. not properly trigger the 1/0 states), then all bets are off!

I've seen it.
Yep. Good point. Things start to go weird when a PSU is failing. Random restarts are one of the main things I always see. Usually because something isn't getting the juice it needs to work.

Glad I don't do PC repair any longer, but some things you don't forget. Failing PSU is one of them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I've seen it.
Yep. Good point. Things start to go weird when a PSU is failing. Random restarts are one of the main things I always see. Usually because something isn't getting the juice it needs to work.

Glad I don't do PC repair any longer, but some things you don't forget. Failing PSU is one of them.
Funny you guys mentioned that. My daughter asked me the other day why her cousin’s PC kept “acting up, restart, sometimes won’t come on”.

First thing I said to her was “Probably bad PSU”. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So what is the average shelf life of a lightly used PSU that's rated about twice the total system requirements? Name brand PSU used maybe an hour or 2 a day on web browsing. Sometimes very light gaming. Just asking because it's going on 9 years old with no signs of failure.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
It's the metering that threw me off. I'd normally just add the maximum power draw for everything and pad it a bit.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So what is the average shelf life of a lightly used PSU that's rated about twice the total system requirements? Name brand PSU used maybe an hour or 2 a day on web browsing. Sometimes very light gaming. Just asking because it's going on 9 years old with no signs of failure.
Depends on whether or not the PC was powered up the majority of that 9 years, but if it was off or asleep then I'm sure you've got plenty of life left. Especially if it isn't causing any issues. I only replaced mine at ~14 years because it was old and was used 24/7 for the majority of that time.

Just like with audio, the quality of the PSU is the most important thing. If it's a good unit then you likely won't have issues with it for well over a decade.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Depends on whether or not the PC was powered up the majority of that 9 years, but if it was off or asleep then I'm sure you've got plenty of life left. Especially if it isn't causing any issues. I only replaced mine at ~14 years because it was old and was used 24/7 for the majority of that time.

Just like with audio, the quality of the PSU is the most important thing. If it's a good unit then you likely won't have issues with it for well over a decade.
I've dealt with a few P/S issues over the years, but I do agree that they tend to be fairly rare.....assuming that the power supply was properly spec'd to begin with.

Yeah, a good power supply is fundamental. It's one of the places where it is simply foolish to try to save a $.

Unfortunately, power supplies also tend to be one of the most expensive components of electronics.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
A really good power supply will generally get you through several builds if you build a new pc every few years, so it's well worth the investment to me as well.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I bought two bourbons I hadn't tried before Oppidan Smoke & Sea and one of the new Woodford's, the wheat one. Not really a big fan of either. The Oppidan is smokier than I was expecting it to be, and I think that is what's throwing it off for me. The Woodford is not as smooth as I was expecting from them. I've only tried them both neat, maybe I'll have to try them with a bit of water or ice and see if that changes my opinion of them.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Had my car ceramic coated, picked it up on Wednesday and was finally able to snap a few pics of it today at work while the sun was out!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Celestron Inspire 100AZ telescope to replace my old 60. Looking forward to the larger aperture.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis