Favorite sounding live albums.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
This is one of my favorite performances by Neil.

Gives me goosebumps almost every time.
I hear you. Like a Hurricane is my favorite NY song one of my all time favorites. As far as his CSNY songs I absolutely love Country Girl. Greatness....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Been listening to Larry Carlton & Robben Ford - Unplugged a lot lately, very nice stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ya found used on amazon. Not live though.

DVD Audio. But a little nervous at $27 since next higher offer is $70. :)
Yeah was looking at discogs, $50 plus shipping from CH was best price I saw...too rich for my blood, my vinyl & cd is good enough at that price :)

ps Didn't think it was live, tho...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah was looking at discogs, $50 plus shipping from CH was best price I saw...too rich for my blood, my vinyl & cd is good enough at that price :)

ps Didn't think it was live, tho...
Right it’s a studio album, not live. I saw the post on Neil Young in this thread and went off topic.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My first concert (on my own) was Neil Young on the Harvest tour back in '72...
Nice! I'm jealous. I never got to see him live (or with CSN for that matter.) I think I saw Deep Purple then Jethro Tull back in 72. I liked Young and CSNYs stuff better.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as a live album, I really enjoy Tyler Childers “Live on Red Barn Radio”

Fuego

Fuego

Enthusiast
Ballade pour la Nuit
"....These guys and this recording just rocks. Pace, rhythm, tone and soundstage are just off the charts. The precise placement of all four of the musicians perfectly matches the photos of the sessions. The balance of all four instruments is darn near perfect. As you can no doubt tell, I am a huge fan of this recording. It is one of the best in terms of recording quality I have ever heard."
Joe Whip in Audiophile Style

When recording with one microphone the mix is done before we start to record. We have to make the complete sound stage on the spot by carefully moving each instrument closer or further away as well as left and right in relationship to the microphone. Reinier Voet & Pigalle 44 immediately understood the situation, and their great live experience made getting the sound just right a breeze.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
REO Speedwagons Ridin the Storm Out was much better on their live album IMHO.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Much better live than what?
I love the live album version so I'm not knockin'. I love those guys.
I heard the live version first so the studio version just didn't sound as good. Just listening to it put me in a cabin high in the mountains with a big snowstorm on the way. Those were the days.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
LED ZEPPELIN: HOW THE WEST WAS WON mastered in 2017 but recorded in 1972
Here's a live selection that cost me several hours of befuddlement. I recently read an article about Led Zeppelin releasing a new Bluray version of two of their 1972 performances. Jimmy Page did the audio and video and it was supposed to be top drawer stuff. So I ordered it on Bluray thinking it was a live concert Bluray performance.
Nope. I may be the only guy that didn't get the message. It won't be the first time.

Its a live audio recording for sure. And a very, very impressive one given it was done in 1972.
But there is NO video. Its not a concert film/video/performance. Its just great audio 5 different ways with some still pictures to go with each song. The audio is presented in high resolution, 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1, in DTS-HD Master Audio Surround as well as DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo and LPCM . It sounds freaking fantastic.

But when you rip it to a music server, its not a song or an album . Its an MP4. But as a video/movie, nothing moves and its now over in the movie collection of the music server not in the music section. First world problem for sure. Like I said, I was "dazed and confused" walking around doing the "Bron-y-aur Stomp".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LED ZEPPELIN: HOW THE WEST WAS WON mastered in 2017 but recorded in 1972
Here's a live selection that cost me several hours of befuddlement. I recently read an article about Led Zeppelin releasing a new Bluray version of two of their 1972 performances. Jimmy Page did the audio and video and it was supposed to be top drawer stuff. So I ordered it on Bluray thinking it was a live concert Bluray performance.
Nope. I may be the only guy that didn't get the message. It won't be the first time.

Its a live audio recording for sure. And a very, very impressive one given it was done in 1972.
But there is NO video. Its not a concert film/video/performance. Its just great audio 5 different ways with some still pictures to go with each song. The audio is presented in high resolution, 96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1, in DTS-HD Master Audio Surround as well as DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo and LPCM . It sounds freaking fantastic.

But when you rip it to a music server, its not a song or an album . Its an MP4. But as a video/movie, nothing moves and its now over in the movie collection of the music server not in the music section. First world problem for sure. Like I said, I was "dazed and confused" walking around doing the "Bron-y-aur Stomp".
Yeah I have a few bluray discs that are music only (maybe with some pictures or a screen saver). Is it mp4 on the disc or just what your ripper uses?

PS thanks for the suggestion, always good to have a well done LZ recording.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I have a few DVD Audios that do this - The DTS ones I believe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a few DVD Audios that do this - The DTS ones I believe.
Speaking of good sounding live albums, I have a multi-ch DTS disc of the Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East....but believe it's on a cd judging by the file size and that I can rip it with EAC.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis