Are These Finds Good Deals?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'll get the one crossover out of the cabinet and take some pics for a better look. I still need to know which caps to order to replace the ones on there and those coils (inductors?) look kind of sloppy to me too.
For the capacitors, I would suggest the Solen Fast Capacitor polypropylene brand or Parts Express' own Dayton brand of polypropylene caps.

You can also order direct from Solen which distributes loudspeaker drivers and other components worldwide. I've just noticed that they are now selling Dayton polypropylene capacitors as well and which you can view on both sites. Also P-E sells Solen caps as well.

https://solen.ca/product-category/capacitors/page/10/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For the capacitors, I would suggest the Solen Fast Capacitor polypropylene brand or Parts Express' own Dayton brand of polypropylene caps.

You can also order direct from Solen which distributes loudspeaker drivers and other components worldwide. I've just noticed that they are now selling Dayton polypropylene capacitors as well and which you can view on both sites. Also P-E sells Solen caps as well.

https://solen.ca/product-category/capacitors/page/10/
Thank you! TLS also recommended the Solen polypros. Knowing where to buy is one thing. Knowing what to buy is a whole other beast. I want to get the one speaker put back together and hook them both up again to make sure they both work like they should. Then I'll take one apart again, pull the crossover out and post up some better pics so you guys can let me know which ones to replace the old ones with.

*Edit: I see they range in price from $3 to $60 apiece on the first page. Gee. I wonder which ones I'll be needing. Knowing my luck... :oops:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got the rest of the parts and put everything together. I have them hooked up right now and jamming to some older TOOL, since I know their music like the back of my hand and the quality of their recordings are pretty good.

20190909_144440-1-1449x651.jpg
20190909_145529-1305x734.jpg

Patch is holding like a champ! I can see 2 little flakes at the edges of the seam now that it's dried. I could trim them with a razor... but I don't think so. I'd be very, very upset if I slipped and put a new slice in the surround. :oops:

They sound very good! I'm in pure/direct and playing them full range. There's an impressive amount of good bass coming from these towers and I'm not detecting anything glaring in the midrange or treble. All in all I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing. They blow away the old B&Ws I had. These speakers will work for most music without a sub. I haven't put anything through them overly challenging yet, but there's a decent amount of bass in Tool's music and they're pounding it out pretty good. I'm feeling it in my chest and it's not boomy or dirty.

These fabric dome tweeters are new to me. They sound good, but the Ultra's aluminum tweeters seem to sparkle more, with better detail and clarity. I would say the PhaseTechs are a touch more forward tho, if missing a little bit of midrange punch. The Ultras are from a different tier so I pretty much expected these results. Not to say the PhaseTechs are running that far behind or disappointing at all, if anything there's some pleasant surprise. They have very good, smooth bass and very good imaging. Those are my first impressions so far anyway. I might put an album or 2 through them before I take 'em back apart.

I deem these worth the effort and don't feel like I wasted my time. I managed to source the parts on the cheap and everything works like it should. I'm very pleased with the results! I'll get one of the crossovers out of the cab and take some close up images of all of the caps and coils then go from there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report a blown or damaged woofer. The one I replaced. I'm not sure, but I might have done it listening to them. I had the volume up pretty good, but not past -5, full range. After I took them off the amp and put my Ultras back on I lightly pushed on the woofer cone and was met with a scraping sound. I pulled it out of the cab to see if some stuffing or a wire was scraping the back of the cone. That's not it. It still has that scrapey sound when I push on it in my hand and it sounds like something is loose inside.

I didn't notice it before and I'm pretty sure I would have as I handled it quite a bit when patching it up. I'm thinking I overdid it and broke or tore something. I'm gonna go kik some cans now... :(

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you! TLS also recommended the Solen polypros. Knowing where to buy is one thing. Knowing what to buy is a whole other beast. I want to get the one speaker put back together and hook them both up again to make sure they both work like they should. Then I'll take one apart again, pull the crossover out and post up some better pics so you guys can let me know which ones to replace the old ones with.

*Edit: I see they range in price from $3 to $60 apiece on the first page. Gee. I wonder which ones I'll be needing. Knowing my luck... :oops:
Solen have some Teflon caps going up to $300 USD a piece. If you intend to spend more than $20,000 on a DIY speaker pair, maybe you would use the ones in that expensive series. But I have used some of their cheaper Silver Fast caps for some crossovers which I built, mainly for the tweeter section. But I wouldn't spend extra money on these for use on surround or Atmos speakers.
Maybe people with golden ears would hear a difference, but with my hearing I could tell.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report a blown or damaged woofer. The one I replaced. I'm not sure, but I might have done it listening to them.

I didn't notice it before and I'm pretty sure I would have as I handled it quite a bit when patching it up. I'm thinking I overdid it and broke or tore something. I'm gonna go kik some cans now... :(
Sorry to hear that ... while they may sound good, they are still budget friendly speakers ... and limited power handling. Buy keep on with DIY

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry to hear that ... while they may sound good, they are still budget friendly speakers ... and limited power handling. Buy keep on with DIY
I plan to. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing still but I'm not into them for too much. I'll keep an eye out for another woofer, but I the meantime I'm gonna back burner the PhaseTechs and move on before sunk cost fallacy takes over my thinking.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I plan to. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing still but I'm not into them for too much. I'll keep an eye out for another woofer, but I the meantime I'm gonna back burner the PhaseTechs and move on before sunk cost fallacy takes over my thinking.
Just to clarify---This speaker had a blown woofer when you bought it, you replaced the woofer, then that one blew too?

That would suggest that you have some other problem on that particular speaker that has now blown 2 woofers!

Don't replace the woofer again until you determine and correct root cause of the failures. 2 blown woofers in a row, I would absolutely expect 3 in a row without some other repairs first.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to clarify---This speaker had a blown woofer when you bought it, you replaced the woofer, then that one blew too?

That would suggest that you have some other problem on that particular speaker that has now blown 2 woofers!

Don't replace the woofer again until you determine and correct root cause of the failures. 2 blown woofers in a row, I would absolutely expect 3 in a row without some other repairs first.
The original woofer has some physical damage to the cone, but works.
20190903_163656-1305x734.jpg

That's the original. Someone grabbed the edge of the cabinet and woofer to use as a handle to carry the speaker. Aside from the physical damage it functions and moves nice n smooth.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there a way to get one functioning woofer out of the 2 I have by swapping the cones? I've never attempted something like that before, but I think I can get the surround off the cone without damaging it. I picked at the spot where it came loose from being grabbed the way it was and it seems like it'll peel off without tearing or stretching too bad.

*Edit: Chances are good that I might be able to get replacement surrounds from PhaseTech too...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Infinity Kappa 6.1 tower speakers, $300 for the pair.

01717_iNjwL0SrvYz_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_fkVpuCz8ZiE_600x450.jpg
00j0j_gdigmFKghSU_600x450.jpg

*Edit: A little research tells me to pass on these. I wanna find some newer speakers!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't see the LSi7's. Those look very nice! Those Kappas are the same ones I posted a couple pages back. If they're still there in a month I'll offer him $150. I'll bet he'd take 200.

I wonder if he'd sell just the speakers?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't see the LSi7's. Those look very nice! Those Kappas are the same ones I posted a couple pages back. If they're still there in a month I'll offer him $150. I'll bet he'd take 200. I wonder if he'd sell just the speakers?
Depends how bad he needs the money -- anything is possible

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder if he'd sell just the speakers?
If you are thinking of flipping the Kappa's, I would think that the matching woodgrain speaker stands would be a worthwhile plus!
FWIW, here is a review of the Sub:
https://hometheaterreview.com/episode-es-sub-cub8-110-eight-inch-powered-subwoofer-reviewed/
For the quick and dirty, skip to page two!
It was a $400 sub in 2011, but I would look at it as being a woofer to compliment smaller bookshelf speakers.
Since the Kappas have 6.5" woofers, I would have at least gone with a 10" (sub) woofer to compliment them.
IMHO, the best use of a compact sub like he is selling is to complement some satellite or BS speakers with 3.5"-5" mid-woofers. Stash the sub out of sight and let people marvel at all of the bass those tiny speakers produce before cluing them in on the sub! (and a great demonstration of how poorly we localize bass)
I think you could list the sub separate for $75 and it would move fast (for at least $50, if not the full $75) if you linked to the review I listed that states the $400 MSRP and generally high build quality and finish. It would certainly complement a soundbar nicely (which often top out at 2.5"-3" drivers)! A sub like this may be junk to you, but it is a good compliment for those who are stuck with lifestyle/soundbar HT setups.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Flipping through Craigslist again this morning and found a few cheapie deals.

SVS Utra bookshelf speakers for $650! Not a smoking deal, but I would have jumped on these when I was still looking.
00Z0Z_c58zkpZ0b1u_600x450 (1).jpg
00D0D_21hFKnk32nr_600x450.jpg

Optimus Pro(?) speakers for $25.
00v0v_3hZz4lj3MGa_600x450.jpg

Infinity Composition Overture speakers for $50.
00G0G_it9MNvd4ppf_600x450.jpg
00h0h_hWFxkKucdda_600x450.jpg

Boston Acoustics CR55 speakers for $40.
00r0r_ktxQirmQ6NV_600x450 (1).jpg
00101_8TSAz9oAzlw_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would get the $50 and go get them Overtures

The Boston are nice/decent speakers

The Optimus are OK+ ... they are pleasant for background music and can make some nice surrounds

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would get the $50 and go get them Overtures

The Boston are nice/decent speakers

The Optimus are OK+ ... they are pleasant for background music and can make some nice surrounds
You like the Overtures, huh? I know nothing about them. That big bass driver on the side is a little unusual for a bs speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis