REL HT 1508 Predator

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Personally demo in the room you're using it in is one thing (or another room like your friend's that's at least familiar). A store's showroom/setup mostly leave me saying meh. I'd definitely head over to Hsu if you're close! Call first and make sure what they can demo for you and when.
I agree 100% about demo in a professional environment. Way different than my living room that isn't treated for sound. Seem's a bit gimmicky if you ask me but no other way unless like you said, they're in my house

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree 100% about demo in a professional environment. Way different than my living room that isn't treated for sound. Seem's a bit gimmicky if you ask me but no other way unless like you said, they're in my house
Professional environment like a professionally treated room or studio? Been a long time since I've been in a store with such, does your buddy have such? Your living room unless unfurnished does have some sound treatment...depends on what the furnishings are to an extent. Still, it's best because that's where you'll be using it. Subs are very room dependent.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Auditioning a sub in anything but your room may lead to disappointment.
You need to learn the best place in your room for subs. I recommend the Subwoofer crawl. Always. Crude, yes. Effective, yes.
You should be able to plug and play after that.

If you are that close to Hsu, the cost of picking up and returning is just gas and your personal time. SVS will pay for shipping to and from if you are unsatisfied. Though I don't dig the carbon footprint implications, you can't argue that they are not willing to stand by their product!!! ;)

Once you determine open-room cubic volume, I say post up, and get ready for some magic. The VTF 15s are huge and likely overkill for your room. Share with us and we will share back! :D

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Professional environment like a professionally treated room or studio? Been a long time since I've been in a store with such, does your buddy have such? Your living room unless unfurnished does have some sound treatment...depends on what the furnishings are to an extent. Still, it's best because that's where you'll be using it. Subs are very room dependent.
Yes, professionally treated rooms with foam in the corners and things like that. My friends isn't and neither is mine. They're both furnished but that's it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, professionally treated rooms with foam in the corners and things like that. My friends isn't and neither is mine. They're both furnished but that's it
So that might tell you what it sounds like in that professionally treated room :) Bass traps can be very large, too. Not something for a living room generally.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
So that might tell you what it sounds like in that professionally treated room :) Bass traps can be very large, too. Not something for a living room generally.
I agree on the Bass traps in the living room. I think I'll try and demo HSU at their shop and just consider the SVS. I'm leary of the Rel's for some reason even though the discount I can get on them would actually be cheaper than the SVS and equivalent to the HSU's

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree on the Bass traps in the living room. I think I'll try and demo HSU at their shop and just consider the SVS. I'm leary of the Rel's for some reason even though the discount I can get on them would actually be cheaper than the SVS and equivalent to the HSU's
I'm just saying the Rel price compares more the the Hsu ULS-15mk2 (another 15" sealed sub)....rather than the ported SVS PB3000 let alone the Hsu ported models.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I'm just saying the Rel price compares more the the Hsu ULS-15mk2 (another 15" sealed sub)....rather than the ported SVS PB3000 let alone the Hsu ported models.
I know and honestly, I don't even know if I want sealed or ported. I just figured I could plug the ports on SVS and Hsu

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know and honestly, I don't even know if I want sealed or ported. I just figured I could plug the ports on SVS and Hsu
Having some flexibility in sub setup may be better (the variable port tuning) as it provides some options. The low bass efficiency in a ported design can be an advantage for larger rooms and movie/tv content....not so much for music.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Having some flexibility in sub setup may be better (the variable port tuning) as it provides some options. The low bass efficiency in a ported design can be an advantage for larger rooms and movie/tv content....not so much for music.
I definitely want to focus more on home theater and TV instead of music. It would be nice to be able to rock out and have some nice Bass but it almost seems like it's one or the other from what I'm starting to notice. I could be wrong though

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I definitely want to focus more on home theater and TV instead of music. It would be nice to be able to rock out and have some nice Bass but it almost seems like it's one or the other from what I'm starting to notice. I could be wrong though
You can still rock out with either type of sub. Not sure what you mean by one or the other....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meaning ideal for either music or home theater but not both.
Wouldn't worry about it with the subs we're talking about, as either design can work great....there are advantages and disadvantages on both sides and the old ported for movies vs sealed for music thing is overblown.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Wouldn't worry about it with the subs we're talking about, as either design can work great....there are advantages and disadvantages on both sides and the old ported for movies vs sealed for music thing is overblown.
I have a tendency to overthink and over research things like this and talk to as many people as possible to get their real life experience with things before I buy.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
What's everybody's preference on woofer size for movies and TV? That will narrow down my options, somewhat LOL I know there are a lot of factors like a room size but just curious what you guys are running.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's everybody's preference on woofer size for movies and TV? That will narrow down my options, somewhat LOL I know there are a lot of factors like a room size but just curious what you guys are running.
3 x 18" sealed, and a sealed dual-opposed 15" (keep procrastinating on building my dual opposed 18" :) ). 6000 plus cuft.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm just running one sealed 18" right now. Would love to build a second one though

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I run my Outlaws in extended mode to get down to 15Hz... I'm probably 90-95% music. Zero concern should be given to the ported/sealed argument... rather all concern should go to low distortion output.
Just using them as an example, the outlaws are 13.5” cones, and bassaholic rated here for extreme room size. That’s 5000’3. I’ve got two in my 2000’3 listening room. :) Perhaps overkill, but I don’t have to run them hard, which means I have gobs of overhead and very little distortion being produced.
Once you get a reasonable estimation of your room volume, you can start to really narrow down what you need to pressurize your room. But 15” Hsu options should have no problem with your room. Pb 3000 would be good, but 4000 series, Pb or Pc would do you better. :)

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I run my Outlaws in extended mode to get down to 15Hz... I'm probably 90-95% music. Zero concern should be given to the ported/sealed argument... rather all concern should go to low distortion output.
Just using them as an example, the outlaws are 13.5” cones, and bassaholic rated here for extreme room size. That’s 5000’3. I’ve got two in my 2000’3 listening room. :) Perhaps overkill, but I don’t have to run them hard, which means I have gobs of overhead and very little distortion being produced.
Once you get a reasonable estimation of your room volume, you can start to really narrow down what you need to pressurize your room. But 15” Hsu options should have no problem with your room. Pb 3000 would be good, but 4000 series, Pb or Pc would do you better. :)
Have you had any experience with that Rel HT1508 by chance or have read about it?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He has the VTF-3 MK5 HP, I believe. Massive bass but not sure if it's "precise" bass. Honestly, not sure if I could even tell the difference between precise and not. Discounted price on the Rel is $1150 otd. I don't have many options on location so it'll have to be one on each side or caddy corner from each other
I have 2 of them and I would call it precise bass. I don't know who's citing quality as an issue with Hsu because mine aren't lacking in build or sound quality. Tight, deep musical bass. I'm a music first guy and listen to a pretty decent variety of music with a slant toward heavy metal and alternative. I like bass, but not overpowering or boomy bass. I like a nice balanced blend between speakers and subs.

*Edit: I did it again! Just now saw this is a 3 page thread... lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis