REL HT 1508 Predator

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
By precise you mean what? Accurate? Low distortion? Why would the Rel be better?

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
By precise you mean what? Accurate? Low distortion? Why would the Rel be better?
All of the above. I know I'm not using the right terminology but I've been told to pay attention to the material of the woofer for speed response and I see the Rel uses Carbon fiber/ carbon glass so supposedly its extremely quick and responsive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All of the above. I know I'm not using the right terminology but I've been told to pay attention to the material of the woofer for speed response and I see the Rel uses Carbon fiber/ carbon glass so supposedly its extremely quick and responsive.
The cone material isn't all that important as the motor involved IMO. Bass myths https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=8j365t

Ps let me guess your audio salesman friend came up with this....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's not the cone material that gives a speaker it's quick and responsive behavior as you say. It's the ratio of the magnet coercivity to the weight of the moving mass.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Boom.
I wouldn't buy those, discounted as they may be.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Subs don't always work best in the positions you'd like them in for aesthetics :) What Hsu does your friend have? You're an audiophile if you're here afaik, it's not a skill, just an enthusiasm for hi-fi reproduction. The f6 of the Rel 1508 is 21 hz which isn't all that impressive for a $1800 sub (what kind of discount can you get, tho?). How much does the aesthetic of the sub count in your room?
A F6 of 21Hz is not bad for a sealed sub, everything else being equal. I'm not saying go get the Rel sub, but I wouldn't make any judgments based on the sparse data that is available. It could be a fine sub.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
It's not the cone material that gives a speaker it's quick and responsive behavior as you say. It's the ratio of the magnet coercivity to the weight of the moving mass.
I def have ALOT to learn!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
He has the VTF-3 MK5 HP, I believe. Massive bass but not sure if it's "precise" bass. Honestly, not sure if I could even tell the difference between precise and not. Discounted price on the Rel is $1150 otd. I don't have many options on location so it'll have to be one on each side or caddy corner from each other
The VTF-3 mk5 is the one sub of Hsu's that I have not measured, but based on all of the other measurements I have of all of their other products, I would be pretty confident that it is accurate. Hsu's subs are high-fidelity speakers. It would be precise, or as precise as any subwoofer could be in-room. Room acoustics are what kills accuracy in bass reproduction. If you want more accurate bass, get a two or three lower priced but linear subs and a way to tame the room mode peaks, i.e., an equalizer with a measurement microphone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A F6 of 21Hz is not bad for a sealed sub, everything else being equal. I'm not saying go get the Rel sub, but I wouldn't make any judgments based on the sparse data that is available. It could be a fine sub.
If it has no dsp shaping that response then it might be impressive. That is an issue with Rel, not much independent testing out there. You gonna do one?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it has no dsp shaping that response then it might be impressive. That is an issue with Rel, not much independent testing out there. You gonna do one?
No plans to review one at the moment, but I am curious to see what it can do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing you might do if possible is to have your buddy loan you the 1508, and set up a comparison with Hsu at your buddies' place to see if you have a preference.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Another thing you might do if possible is to have your buddy loan you the 1508, and set up a comparison with Hsu at your buddies' place to see if you have a preference.
I would love that but he doesn't stock them. He has a Rel G1 Mark II at home as a demo but that's the most expensive sub I believe they make so why try it out if I could never afford one. He offered it to me put I want to compare apples to apples

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I actually believe I heard the cone comment on a Rel youtube video review on a sub of theres
I find few youtube video reviews worth bothering with, same for a magazine review without measurements.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Most importantly, this is your system, your ears, and your ducats. You do what is right for you.

Frankly, I hear the things you've said... I'm all for networking and getting a good deal... But what is that deal? That's where my little voice in the back of my head is screaming, "Nooooo!" I haven't heard a single person say Hsu is bunk.
Not.
Once.
For $1750 plus S&H, you can have 2 VTF15Hmk2 Subs of your very own, with low end response rated at 16Hz, +/- 2dB. Arguably, much better low end extension. We know, here, that it can perform with some of the better subs. Last I recall, it may have been responsible for getting Shady kicked off his Subwoofer Test Range... which means it not only performs low, but loud, too.
I'm not saying this is what you have to buy. Please don't misunderstand. I spent months shopping for Speakers and Subs. I'm just urging you to take the time to learn what you really need.
:cool:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I find few youtube video reviews worth bothering with, same for a magazine review without measurements.
To be fair, you can't just use any material for subwoofer cones. It has to be stiff yet light enough not to bring down upper mid-bass sensitivity. The one reprieve that sub cones have is they do not have to worry about composition effects for break-up modes. That being said, I have always wanted to see someone crazy enough to use a Beryllium cone in an 18" sub. That brings to mind my dream sub: sealed carbon-fiber cabinet, neodymium motor, and beryllium cone. You could have a killer 18" sub that wouldn't even weigh 60 lbs. So what if it cost $30,000.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I'm starting to learn that real quick. It's just hard to judge what will be good unless I personally demo and I can only do that with HSU being somewhat local. Can't test SVS unless I order and ship back and I don't really want to do all that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm starting to learn that real quick. It's just hard to judge what will be good unless I personally demo and I can only do that with HSU being somewhat local. Can't test SVS unless I order and ship back and I don't really want to do all that.
Personally demo in the room you're using it in is one thing (or another room like your friend's that's at least familiar). A store's showroom/setup mostly leave me saying meh. I'd definitely head over to Hsu if you're close! Call first and make sure what they can demo for you and when.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To be fair, you can't just use any material for subwoofer cones. It has to be stiff yet light enough not to bring down upper mid-bass sensitivity. The one reprieve that sub cones have is they do not have to worry about composition effects for break-up modes. That being said, I have always wanted to see someone crazy enough to use a Beryllium cone in an 18" sub. That brings to mind my dream sub: sealed carbon-fiber cabinet, neodymium motor, and beryllium cone. You could have a killer 18" sub that wouldn't even weigh 60 lbs. So what if it cost $30,000.
Yes but if it's sufficient for the purpose it won't matter much either. Rel says theirs is carbon fiber-impregnated, even the inverted dust cap! Wow.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis