5 Killer $2k/pair Tower Speakers Compared for 2019

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Of course. I am an engineer.
You consider yourself a wise guy?
You are engineer?

Very good engineer?

Let’s see some speakers that you’ve made then. Obviously if you can fix these very critical flaws in these speakers which not only review well, but thousands are still bought year round, you must be killing it in this industry!

Dr. Toole, is that you?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You are engineer?

Very good engineer?

Let’s see some speakers that you’ve made then. Obviously if you can fix these very critical flaws in these speakers which not only review well, but thousands are still bought year round, you must be killing it in this industry!

Dr. Toole, is that you?[my bold]
I highly doubt that as in any post I've seen by Dr Floyd Toole he is very polite and patient in answering.

Edit: I go no sense of humour.:D

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I highly doubt that as in any post I've seen by Dr Floyd Toole he is very polite and patient in answering.
I know, it was a joke. But the way he talks about his superior engineering skill, it has to be someone of that caliber ;)

Edit: saw your edit :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am an engineer.
Come on, dude, you are embarrassing the rest of us engineers!
But better you recognize this now on a comparatively trivial topic while shooting the sh!t than while engaged in a project that involves safety related design decisions.
When empirical evidence contradicts your understanding of theory, you don't double down, you start investigating ... because either your understanding of the theory is incomplete, the theory is actually wrong, or the empirical evidence is misrepresented/misinterpreted.
In this case I would consider the presence of MTM center speakers among every major manufacturer of speakers (designed by engineers, physicists, and others who specialize in acoustics and speaker design). Knowing that they carefully measure and listen to the result of their efforts makes for pretty compelling empirical evidence that MTM speakers are not a faux pas. Right off, I am having a tough time thinking of any speaker company who avoids a MTM design for their center. That should give you pause!

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@shadyJ Nice write up. I do think this is actually a great sweet spot for most considering getting into a higher class of speaker.

For me personally, this would be the range I would be looking at once I go to replace my office/den speakers (assuming I don't build them). I really want that room to have the best sound of anywhere in the house as that's where most of my music listening is done.

I read this thread, but I'm not seeing the question of why these particular speakers were chosen? Just based off the fact that you've recently reviewed them? All are awesome options (RBH in particular is of interest to me with how much love they get around here).

If that was already answered, sorry.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I read this thread, but I'm not seeing the question of why these particular speakers were chosen? Just based off the fact that you've recently reviewed them?
Yes, these speakers were selected simply for the fact that we have reviewed them recently, and they all have a similar design type and price range.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One request for @shadyJ.

In addition to all those pretty 3D FR graphs, could you please also include the old very basic 2D graphs like you did on the SVTR towers? :D

This one is from Gene:

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
@gene and @shadyJ , thanks for the informative comparison! Content like this is so very helpful for anyone that is not up to date on the current state of things in the A/V world.

Can't wait to get home to watch the video.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, these speakers were selected simply for the fact that we have reviewed them recently, and they all have a similar design type and price range.
I figured as much. Are you leaning toward any of them in particular? I seem to remember you recommending the Paradigm a few times.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One request for In addition to all those pretty 3D FR graphs, could you please also include the old very basic 2D graphs like you did on the SVTR towers? :D
I never dealt with the SVTR speakers, sorry.
I figured as much. Are you leaning toward any of them in particular? I seem to remember you recommending the Paradigm a few times.
They all have their strengths. I didn't want to consider this a shoot-out, because each speaker might be most suitable for some particular situation. The Paradigm Premier speakers are very good and are a really solid buy for $2k. Of this group of speakers, they are the most neutral. They are more neutral than even the Persona speakers.[/USER][/QUOTE]

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis