Help understanding amplifier difference (150 watt bridged vs 200 watt non-bridged)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The speakers are 8 ohm, the amplifier is 50 watts at 8ohm and the load it will "see" will be approximately 4 ohm with the 8 ohm speakers attached in the bridged arrangement. However, it's still 8 ohms, the load is just similar to what 4 ohm would be and the amplifier handles 4 ohm loads natively, so its not being asked to do something it was not designed to handle (4ohm loads).

At least, that's my understanding based on everything here?

Very best,
I think you understand, but just to be clear, your amp is rated for 4 ohms, that's why you can bridge it to run 8 ohm speakers. You should not use it with 4 ohm speakers because the amp is not rated for 2 ohms, and now I am repeating what ADTG has said already.:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look at it merely halving the lower impedance capability of the amp. So instead of a 4 ohm capable amp you now have an 8 ohm capable amp in bridge mode....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
If you figure you need 100 W, get a 200 W amp at the minimum, and you won't likely have to worry about your speaker's impedance characteristics.

Again, your 50/60 W 8/4 ohm amp seem adequate, but based on your seating distance and room size, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get yourself a 100 to 200 W amp.

Don't underestimate the AVR-X3400H. It is twice as powerful as your Amp 100. It can drive your mains nicely for sure. I tried one briefly on my KEF R900, no issues at all.
Thanks,

Very interesting, I'll read that link and review. I am not 100% sold on the X3400H, but it's the top of my short list right now for features and cost as I want the pre-outs on each channel as an option and it needs to handle 4K since my current AVR cannot do 4K and so it doesn't like to be hooked up to my 4K TV (VSX1121K, served for 8 years so I'm ok with that).

Knowing now that going from 100watts to 200watts on the same setup will only increase SPL by +3dB helps to understand that it's not a huge increase and that it's just there to handle the peak needs and small changes in frequencies as it slips away from 8ohm on the load.

Maybe there is a lot of value then in saving up towards a Monolith 200watt x 3 amplifier to cover all bases in the future. And maybe I can let the X3400H handle everything until that point comes along?

Very best,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe there is a lot of value then in saving up towards a Monolith 200watt x 3 amplifier to cover all bases in the future. And maybe I can let the X3400H handle everything until that point comes along?

Very best,
There is a more detailed review complete with measurements on the avr-x3300w by Audioholics.

It is one of two AVRs that I have compared with my separate preamps and power amps and I definely could not tell a difference.

If you can get a new one for $499, it is a good way to buy you time until you are ready for some big power amps. Do spend $20 on a quiet external fans though because imo the temp set point for the build in fans are evidently too high for comfort.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
There is a more detailed review complete with measurements on the avr-x3300w by Audioholics.

It is one of two AVRs that I have compared with my separate preamps and power amps and I definely could not tell a difference.

If you can get a new one for $499, it is a good way to buy you time until you are ready for some big power amps. Do spend $20 on a quiet external fans though because imo the temp set point for the build in fans are evidently too high for comfort.
This sounds like a plan, because I have to have a processor of some kind to replace my VSX1121 that gave up the UE22 error ghost, and of course, doesn't output to a 4K display so it's time has come to be replaced. If the X3400H can handle my easy to drive speakers then all the better and I can wait to get a good 200w amp later down the line when I have an idea of the room these will live in, in the future.

I have learned a lot just from this thread and the reading it stimulated, so I thank everyone for their contribution and time.

Very best,

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
This sounds like a plan, because I have to have a processor of some kind to replace my VSX1121 that gave up the UE22 error ghost, and of course, doesn't output to a 4K display so it's time has come to be replaced. If the X3400H can handle my easy to drive speakers then all the better and I can wait to get a good 200w amp later down the line when I have an idea of the room these will live in, in the future.

I have learned a lot just from this thread and the reading it stimulated, so I thank everyone for their contribution and time.

Very best,
You’ll be on your way to the level of “Golden Ears” in no time your half way their now! Welcome to AH. You’ve gotten some great tips and responses on your Thread. Your asking the right bunch most are Trusted members on the AH. Cheers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis