What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
How do you like the Sony? I have one and thinks its a very solid player. My only peeve is that the online service for looking up CD info ( I forget the name of the service ) is no longer working despite firmware upgrades.
Honestly, I hadn't tried any CDs before you asked about this. New CDs just get ripped and added to my FLAC collection. Anyway, no it doesn't work. A quick Google search shows that Sony players (new and old) no longer support the Gracenote service, which is what you may be asking about.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800/articles/00203410?model=UBP-X800&category=home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders

"Dear Valued Sony Customer,

On February 28, 2019, the functions to display disc information from the Gracenote® service will be terminated on Affected Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Home Theater systems.

After the service terminates, you will no longer be able to download and display CD, DVD, or Blu-ray Disc information from Gracenote. Information that will no longer be available includes title name, track name, and artist name. You will still be able to play your discs and display information that is included on the disc itself.

The Music Search and Video Search functions will also be unavailable after February 28, 2019."​

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
1560238669811.png

My sincere recommendations. (Not being payed to say this!!:D:D )

Can't find any cons. It's swift, agile, no emissions, and a true city cruiser. My town has a lot of sidewalks, almost everywhere the street goes, so does the sidewalk. I can get everywhere with this thing. For me, it is totally worthwhile since I was spending a lot on cabs. I’ll break even after 8 months. Bike is no good since it gets hot where I live and I work in a wine shop where sweat is not welcome.

Up to 25kmph, 30km with one charge, disk brakes, lights, smart phone app with a lot of details and stats. It also has a charger, when you release the accelerator, it charges the battery (some caution is advised with the settings of this charger). It is not for a bumpy road, but usual sidewalk bumps it can manage.

One and only warning I would give you is; the battery doesn’t like to be fully drained or overcharged. It has ten cells and the voltage deviation between them can shorten the autonomy of the scooter. The fullest cell will send the signal to stop the in-house charger, and the emptiest cell stop the scooter from running, meaning that if you build up discrepancy between them, you can shorten its reach.

Mine is Xiaomi m365, but I've seen almost identical models with other names. Someone probably sold the patent to a lot of different manufacturers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 29785

Can't find any cons. It's swift, agile, no emissions, and a true city cruiser. My town has a lot of sidewalks, almost everywhere the street goes, so does the sidewalk. I can get everywhere with this thing. For me, it is totally worthwhile since I was spending a lot on cabs. I’ll break even after 8 months. Bike is no good since it gets hot where I live and I work in a wine shop where sweat is not welcome.

Up to 25kmph, 30km with one charge, disk brakes, lights, smart phone app with a lot of details and stats. It also has a charger, when you release the accelerator, it charges the battery (some caution is advised with the settings of this charger). It is not for a bumpy road, but usual sidewalk bumps it can manage.

One and only warning I would give you is; the battery doesn’t like to be fully drained or overcharged. It has ten cells and the voltage deviation between them can shorten the autonomy of the scooter. The fullest cell will send the signal to stop the in-house charger, and the emptiest cell stop the scooter from running, meaning that if you build up discrepancy between them, you can shorten its reach.

Mine is Xiaomi m365, but I've seen almost identical models with other names. Someone probably sold the patent to a lot of different manufacturers.
From what you say, it seems most likely that the battery is a set of LiPo cells. If this is your first LiPo, you should definitely read up on how to manage them.

MOST IMPORTANT: WEAR A GOOD HELMET! Every ride, no excuses.

EDIT:

I got a good deal on one of these on the used market:
https://sondors.com/products/sondors-original-us-canada-shipping-oct18

1560263150755.png

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Got me one of these after my ~11 yo Dyson crapped out (belt tore through the plastic front so the brush is dead).

Turns out I didn't know what I was missing. This thing (being cordless) is MUCH better at picking up stuff than my Dyson ever was.
I guess that you wouldn't recommend Dyson products to anyone. What is the brand and model of this new vacuum?

Cheers,

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I would still recommend them. My Dyson (the old red and purple model) is now 16-years old and I've never put a penny into it since I bought it. It's never lost suction (even when full). I just rinse the Hepa filter once a year and don't need bags and have never broke a belt. My only complaint is the thing weighs a LOT. I bought a separate vacuum so I wouldn't have to keep hauling the thing up and down the steps. I know uprights don't typically have cord retraction, but that would have been an innovative feature to ADD to them since winding that long cord was one reason I didn't reach for it every time I had something I wanted to get with the wand....

Of course, the new Dysons are cordless and a friend has one and says it SUCKS (no, not literally). He was disappointed. They should have kept the cord, it seems.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I guess that you wouldn't recommend Dyson products to anyone. What is the brand and model of this new vacuum?

Cheers,
That is a Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean IF251 Bagless Cordless Pet Stick Vacuum

I wouldn't recommend the Dyson stick vacuums just because they apparently have horrible reliability, but when they work are fantastic. Also twice as expensive as the one I got.

My Dyson upright lasted almost 11 years without issue so those are good to go. I say without issue, but I guess mine wasn't low enough to really get the dirt out of my current carpet. Didn't even pick up the carpet in a visible way to know you've been vacuuming. We got the cheap stuff with the intention to replace it since our builder marks up flooring so much.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I would still recommend them. My Dyson (the old red and purple model) is now 16-years old and I've never put a penny into it since I bought it. It's never lost suction (even when full). I just rinse the Hepa filter once a year and don't need bags and have never broke a belt. My only complaint is the thing weighs a LOT. I bought a separate vacuum so I wouldn't have to keep hauling the thing up and down the steps. I know uprights don't typically have cord retraction, but that would have been an innovative feature to ADD to them since winding that long cord was one reason I didn't reach for it every time I had something I wanted to get with the wand....

Of course, the new Dysons are cordless and a friend has one and says it SUCKS (no, not literally). He was disappointed. They should have kept the cord, it seems.
I think the issue with mine (other than the belt taking it out) was that my carpet was just to low for it to really pick it up. Not the Dyson's fault. The belt ripping through the front is another issue. Feel like it was kind of an abnormal thing.

My friend got one of their stick vacuums and loves it. Haven't talked to him in a bit so I don't know if that's still the case. I wanted one till I saw their reliability rating.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My Dyson is pretty dang good. It's the upright, I can't remember if it's the Ball or the Animal.

The Hoover that I had before the Dyson started out nice, but went downhill quick. And, it was highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Granted, the Dyson was easily 2x the cost of the Hoover.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 29785

Good luck, stay safe, know some health professionals in emergency rooms who see a lot of action due the scooters. I'd say an electric bike would be safer, albeit likely more expensive.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ordered one of these for Father's Day.. Worx Pegasus portable work bench

1560340979539.png

I'm think of getting one of these as well .. a kreg rip-cut circular saw quide for $50 Cdn

1560341121481.png

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
MOST IMPORTANT: WEAR A GOOD HELMET! Every ride, no excuses.
Good luck, stay safe, know some health professionals in emergency rooms who see a lot of action due the scooters. I'd say an electric bike would be safer, albeit likely more expensive.
Thank you both, but in my book it is much more important to experience riding without helmet than the safety of the helmet. I'll never wear one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you both, but in my book it is much more important to experience riding without helmet than the safety of the helmet. I'll never wear one.
I used to say that on a bicycle, used to just wear what a buddy called my blood bucket, a baseball cap. Then I watched him do an endo over the bars directly on his head onto a rough rocky surface....if not for his helmet he'd likely have been dead or seriously injured (and would have to wait a while for help). I bought a helmet the next day and helmets have saved my life a good three times since. Vanity about wearing one....sure, they're kinda goofy looking but so is someone who is bedridden and slobbering all over themselves :) Riding a scooter looks kinda goofy in the first place otoh :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I used to say that on a bicycle, used to just wear what a buddy called my blood bucket, a baseball cap. Then I watched him do an endo over the bars directly on his head onto a rough rocky surface....if not for his helmet he'd likely have been dead or seriously injured (and would have to wait a while for help). I bought a helmet the next day and helmets have saved my life a good three times since. Vanity about wearing one....sure, they're kinda goofy looking but so is someone who is bedridden and slobbering all over themselves :) Riding a scooter looks kinda goofy in the first place otoh :)
Goofy, yes. But goofy doesnt bother me. I think every real man, every mans man has to be goofy sometimes. I don't wear helmets because of the sensation and I don't cling to life all that much. I didn't say it won't happen to me and I don't mind goofy. When you ride something, the wind needs to go over your face and thru your hair. That is very important. If it's safety or sensation, I choose sensation. I think that safety crossed the line when it starts to rob you of experiencing life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Goofy, yes. But goofy doesnt bother me. I think every real man, every mans man has to be goofy sometimes. I don't wear helmets because of the sensation and I don't cling to life all that much. I didn't say it won't happen to me and I don't mind goofy. When you ride something, the wind needs to go over your face and thru your hair. That is very important. If it's safety or sensation, I choose sensation. I think that safety crossed the line when it starts to rob you of experiencing life.
Maybe its because I shave my head that the comment about wind thru the hair isn't very important to me....haven't had enough hair on top for that to be a thing for 30 years! :) The wind still hits your face unless you wear a full-face helmet, which is not necessary. Some of the brain protection tech like MIPS in bike helmets is pretty good, too. YMMV of course and experiencing injury/death is definitely your prerogative....

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
My dad's friend refused to wear leather or a helmet riding his motorcycle. He was both skinned alive and died from head injuries when he had an accident. My dad sold his motorcycle after that. He used to sky dive too...until his friend's girlfriend plowed into the ground when her chute didn't open. He figured he was playing Russian Roulette. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Austin has had a real scooter epidemic! It's the rental scooters that are everywhere and the problem.

I think the biggest part of the problem is that people pick these up and think "it's a scooter, how dangerous can it be". But, these people haven't been on 2 wheels since they were a child, and they don't have or wear helmets!

Personally, I have always been a bit scared of scooters! That long bar sticking up is a good way to impel yourself or at least knock your wind out. I never owned one, but when I was a kid I rode my friends several times, and always preferred a bike.

Now, check out this local news story. They are pulling scooters out of the Austin downtown lake, and the scooters are already covered in Zebra Mussles (a terrible, invasive species)!

Dang......I got a good laugh out of this! This is the perfect analogy for what Austin used to be vs. what Austin has become!

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/scooters-pulled-out-of-lady-bird-lake-covered-in-zebra-mussels

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That is a poor decision. If you care about your brain, wear a helmet!

What is it you think you will experience without a helmet that you will lose with a helmet?

It's just not worth the risk. And, you are hearing this from 2 different long-time bikers!

My brother landed in the hospital when he was hit by a car on a bike, not his fault. He also landed in the dentist office when his chain snapped and he knocked out his 2 front teeth.

See my post above, this is the reason scooters are dangerous.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe its because I shave my head that the comment about wind thru the hair isn't very important to me....haven't had enough hair on top for that to be a thing for 30 years! :) The wind still hits your face unless you wear a full-face helmet, which is not necessary. Some of the brain protection tech like MIPS in bike helmets is pretty good, too. YMMV of course and experiencing injury/death is definitely your prerogative....
I never wear protective gear and since I won the gold medal in figure skating, if I fall of this I'll hang myself in shame anyway.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, spend the $ for a good helmet.

@lovinthehd I think you would agree, but this is my philosophy on a bike (and other hobbies too):

Good gear just gets out of the way and lets you enjoy the ride. Whatever it is that you are constantly thinking about, that's the item you need to upgrade next! Remember I had never been really happy with my brakes on my Cannondale Cujo? Those recently got completely upgraded to 203/180 rotors and SLX brakes. Guess what, I never even think about my brakes any more!

Same in audio--good gear just does it's job and doesn't call attention to itself. But, when you need it to perform, it performs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis