Could use some feedback on next speaker upgrade

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The time and inconvenience of buying shipping picking up un boxing calibrating measuring then reboxing shipping back really doesn't make the free home trial as attractive as one would think if you are going through dozens of different brands in the process
Wise words, Danzilla.
I'm really glad experimenting with your EQ helped out! I futzed around with mine a little bit when I first thought some of the highs in my room were too prominent (I knew it wasn't the speakers)... reset it after about 4 days cos it didn't seem to be helping... For me, it ended up being break-in period for my ears! Even last night, listened to some stuff that was too bright before... sounded fine now. :)
Cheers, man! And stay sane. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The T2s (and T1) are the ugliest set of speakers I can ever remember laying my eyes on. Being that they would be out in the open for everyone to burn their eyes on they would and should be a hard pass no matter how well they may perform for the money.

Have you checked out the Aperion Grande Versus towers? About the same price as the Ultras, shipping included (lower 48), 60 day trial period and they are beautiful. Plus they seem to be a great sounding speaker based on what's out there on them.
Yeah they are on my short list ironically I like the look of the Emo's just like I love the look of the 590's from JBL. But I'm single and my house is a man cave lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wise words, Danzilla.
I'm really glad experimenting with your EQ helped out! I futzed around with mine a little bit when I first thought some of the highs in my room were too prominent (I knew it wasn't the speakers)... reset it after about 4 days cos it didn't seem to be helping... For me, it ended up being break-in period for my ears! Even last night, listened to some stuff that was too bright before... sounded fine now. :)
Cheers, man! And stay sane. :)
Sane and being an audioholic are not very compatible states of mind :eek:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sane and being an audioholic are not very compatible states of mind
At the end of the day, it only has to make sense to you! Ha! (Like buyin 5 Outlaw 2200s... made mad sense to me! :rolleyes:):p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah they are on my short list ironically I like the look of the Emo's just like I love the look of the 590's from JBL. But I'm single and my house is a man cave lol
But I overall like my primes my bitching is over things as people have mentioned that are fixable. So whatever I audition is really going to have to win me over. I'm thinking of holding off any decisions till I get a look at this Prime Pinnacle

One major concern of the ultra's is there side firing woofers floor low reacting to that front wall there's a reason there is no sub there.

And from the demo they showed on YouTube they put a LOT of work into these. Triple ported every speaker section enclosed the midrange almost an exact copy off of there ultra line. I have a feeling they've done a lot more to improve the speaker then just adding in a separate woofer

If they got this right and for the PRICE they are offering with the woofers aligned in the front the way I like on the primes this may be just the upgrade I'm looking for

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But I overall like my primes my bitching is over things as people have mentioned that are fixable. So whatever I audition is really going to have to win me over. I'm thinking of holding off any decisions till I get a look at this Prime Pinnacle

One major concern of the ultra's is there side firing woofers floor low reacting to that front wall there's a reason there is no sub there.

And from the demo they showed on YouTube they put a LOT of work into these. Triple ported every speaker section enclosed the midrange almost an exact copy off of there ultra line. I have a feeling they've done a lot more to improve the speaker then just adding in a separate woofer

If they got this right and for the PRICE they are offering with the woofers aligned in the front the way I like on the primes this may be just the upgrade I'm looking for
I have horrible room gain on that wall. Nothimg I did till I relocated the 4000's could take it. I'm afraid those ultra's might get muddied up in that spot. But the primes seem to do just fine. And they put out some solid bass.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have horrible room gain on that wall. Nothimg I did till I relocated the 4000's could take it. I'm afraid those ultra's might get muddied up in that spot. But the primes seem to do just fine. And they put out some solid bass.
Maybe travel to @KEW at his place. He has a lot of bookshelves. :)

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Once you sign an agreement to keep your man-parts out of my gear, you're welcome! Just PM me and we'll go from there.
I would definitely agree to that, where are you located? I doubt that I’m close but it’s possible?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would definitely agree to that, where are you located? I doubt that I’m close but it’s possible?
A little north of Atlanta - 45minutes to 2 hours from the airport, depending on traffic!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s all good man. You have good money. Take your time you’ll be fine.
Btw, one of our highly engaging users(although he’s been pretty busy/quiet for awhile, sup poges) @Pogre shared his journey from ultra BS to towers. Maybe he’d be able to share. Also @lovinthehd and @KEW have direct experience with the S5xx series. HD has 590’s, 580’s and I think 530’s. Iirc Kurt has the 580’s. I would love to try some next to my older studio II’s.
Yeah I've got a relatively full set of the S5xx series, 590s and 520C up front, 580s for surrounds 530s for rear surrounds. As far as a comparison with your IIs I think @MrBoat has a set and a friend of his has the 590s, believe it was a favorable comparison. Each time I look seems they're harder to find, particularly the 530s, not sure they're even being produced any more (and that may go for all the 5xx series). At the full sale prices I think they're pretty good deals, I wouldn't be as tempted at full retail (but rarely am for that matter).

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Hey @Danzilla31, you talked about manually eq'ing. Have you thought about the Audyssey app? I threw down the $20 on it. The install guy at my local shop told me how you can manually the results of running a calibration at 32 different points within the frequency spectrum.

I do have to admit that I have has trouble with the app, but I especially wonder how it might work for you- I have a 2300w and that 4400h might interface better due to the XT32?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Once you sign an agreement to keep your man-parts out of my gear, you're welcome! Just PM me and we'll go from there.
Oh man you had me crying I was laughing so hard! PM the contract and you have yourself a deal sir! Besides the only girls for me are my 2 PB 4000's with there triple ports! 6 beautiful ports surrounded by all that black beauty! :eek: Man how could I ever cheat on that! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey @Danzilla31, you talked about manually eq'ing. Have you thought about the Audyssey app? I threw down the $20 on it. The install guy at my local shop told me how you can manually the results of running a calibration at 32 different points within the frequency spectrum.

I do have to admit that I have has trouble with the app, but I especially wonder how it might work for you- I have a 2300w and that 4400h might interface better due to the XT32?
I can't stand Audyssey or any automated room eq I keep going back to manual this last time I finally said no more I get better results for me when I just do it the old fashioned way. I don't know why but this last time Audyssey just butchered this room several times. I can only speak for myself I'm not trashing these room eq programs they just don't seem to work out very well for me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Oh snap my bad bro your talking about using the app to see room results and then just going manually from there my bad I didn't catch that! That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that and for only 20 bucks too. Thanks for the idea!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I've got a relatively full set of the S5xx series, 590s and 520C up front, 580s for surrounds 530s for rear surrounds. As far as a comparison with your IIs I think @MrBoat has a set and a friend of his has the 590s, believe it was a favorable comparison. Each time I look seems they're harder to find, particularly the 530s, not sure they're even being produced any more (and that may go for all the 5xx series). At the full sale prices I think they're pretty good deals, I wouldn't be as tempted at full retail (but rarely am for that matter).
Man I'm so jealous lovin I really really like very well done horns and great ones at that price range are just very very difficult to find. If I had learned about these speakers before my first into SVS I'd have snatched them up in a heartbeat. Yeah it is literally impossible to find the 530's they have been discontinued which is why I just kind off let the idea of getting this series go. 3 590's and 4 530's would have been just perfect for me. And really filled up my space with sound.

On a cool note anyone in my area looking for some 590's and 580's there's a posting for both on San Antonio Craigslist for a really decent price.

If I didn't have to pay property taxes Id have snatched these up in a heartbeat right now just to play with them and try them out!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis