Could use some feedback on next speaker upgrade

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Re: @snakeeyes post 17, That helped me a lot in auditioning speakers, as a saxophonist, I leaned heavily on music with sax... and others... violin, electric guitar, trumpet... stuff I knew from being around them in rehearsals and performances.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@Danzilla31 , are you a musician or did you play a certain instrument? Maybe you can pick out which instruments sound wrong on your tweeters?
I used to do choir actually had a scholarship in college so I do have some ear to pitch and exposure to instruments. It's less on instruments and more on ceartin high pitches in movies. Such as the high pitch sound in Blade Runner 2049 when Ryan Rowling's character gets his baseline test they seem to act up in ceartin moments like these. Some sibilance in higher pitched voices once in awhile but that would be more of a midrange issue wouldn't it? Because of choir I have really good ears on voices and that slight offends does drive me crazy at times

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I used to do choir actually had a scholarship in college so I do have some ear to pitch and exposure to instruments. It's less on instruments and more on ceartin high pitches in movies. Such as the high pitch sound in Blade Runner 2049 when Ryan Rowling's character gets his baseline test they seem to act up in ceartin moments like these. Some sibilance in higher pitched voices once in awhile but that would be more of a midrange issue wouldn't it? Because of choir I have really good ears on voices and that slight offends does drive me crazy at times
Damn meant to say slight offness not offense lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Shady hometheaterhifi.com did a pretty in depth review of the T2's with measurements maybe when you have time you could browse that article tell me if that review is any good or if they are good speakers based on what is reviewed there.
My only concern is there is some feedback that they struggle a bit when played really loud like 110db loud but I dont think I ever hit that level at home although I do crank it sometimes. That's one plus on SVS side those primes never struggle no matter how hard you go they actually seem to like it!
The FR looks pretty neutral/flat also. No strong treble peaks beyond 10kHz.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Damn meant to say slight offness not offense lol
:oops:Danzilla's having a bad autocorrect day!:mad:
:p
Does that sound hit you more in movies? More processed/manufactured sounds, or if you listen to opera or something, do you hear it there?
I ask cos I've never been a fan of high soprano vocals or high violin pitches. And don't get me started about that f'n piccolo player that whistles everytime she hiccoughs, now! ;)
But seriously, those sounds always give me that little cringe... Or high pitched screamin guitar rock with some heavy cymbal usage... That latter is wahat I had mentioned before with the BMR's in my room being a little lively, but I think its just m ears getting used to it. ;) that hasn't bothered me as much.
But do those sounds hit you on the Primes?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking you need to load up a Bach cd and pick out which instruments for us. Homework.... LOL :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Shady hometheaterhifi.com did a pretty in depth review of the T2's with measurements maybe when you have time you could browse that article tell me if that review is any good or if they are good speakers based on what is reviewed there.
My only concern is there is some feedback that they struggle a bit when played really loud like 110db loud but I dont think I ever hit that level at home although I do crank it sometimes. That's one plus on SVS side those primes never struggle no matter how hard you go they actually seem to like it!
In that review, the response is so smoothed and so low resolution that it ruins the usefulness of the measurement. Plus it was conducted at a 1 meter distance which is too close to a tower speaker to get good data. Plus it was done in room with destroys all accuracy in bass frequencies.

I don't know that they are good speakers, I suspect that they are competently engineered for the price. I did get to hear some at a trade show, but I wouldn't make a judgement based on what I heard, since trade shows are not a great place for critical listening. My guess is that the are fine for the money, but I wouldn't think the are some kind of super speaker that is an amazing value that blows away everything else. Who knows, maybe they are, but I would need proof of that, and so far I have none.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Something else to consider since you don't need the bass extension of a tower speaker but want more dynamic range than a bookshelf speaker is just get an MTM. You might look at the new Outlaw Audio LCRv2, or maybe the RBH SV-661. Check out the Atlantic Technology 4400. You could even use some KEF R200C speakers as vertical LCRs and I bet those would kill in that kind of orientation. All of these speakers should have a very neutral response. Something else that wouldn't be quite as expensive as the SVS Ultras but I am sure would still be very good would be the Paradigm Premier 700F.

One more thing that you should keep your eye open for is sales on the JBL LSR6332. Last year they went on sale for a little while at about $1100 each. At that price they are an absolute steal. They have an extremely neutral response and very wide dynamic range. If they go on sale for that price, do whatever it takes to get a front stage of them. Sell a kidney if you have to. They are such good speakers that at that pricing, they are a no-brainer.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Does that sound hit you more in movies? More processed/manufactured sounds, or if you listen to opera or something, do you hear it there?
I ask cos I've never been a fan of high soprano vocals or high violin pitches. And don't get me started about that f'n piccolo player that whistles everytime she hiccoughs, now! ;)
But seriously, those sounds always give me that little cringe... Or high pitched screamin guitar rock with some heavy cymbal usage... That latter is wahat I had mentioned before with the BMR's in my room being a little lively, but I think its just m ears getting used to it. ;) that hasn't bothered me as much.
It's weird because it's off and on high pitched violins they handle very very well it's more the processed stuff on some movies and like hip hop stuff they do it on. Classical piano violent flutes all sound fairly surprisingly considering its an aluminum tweeter. It's voices where O catch it the most. So maybe It's more of a midrange issue since that is where voices lie? Correct me tho if I'm wrong guys

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok this is something rebooking at reviews of the primes especially Brent Butterworth on measurement there is a rise in the response from around 2 to 8k I believe. He stated it can give them a bright sound in some areas. This may be what I'm picking up on. If that's the case And like AcuDef was saying I might just not like speakers that have this tendency. Siiiiggghhh that makes my life a whole lot more complicated. Oh well just gives me something to do over the next couple of months

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ok this is something rebooking at reviews of the primes especially Brent Butterworth on measurement there is a rise in the response from around 2 to 8k I believe. He stated it can give them a bright sound in some areas. This may be what I'm picking up on. If that's the case And like AcuDef was saying I might just not like speakers that have this tendency. Siiiiggghhh that makes my life a whole lot more complicated. Oh well just gives me something to do over the next couple of months
Only for kicks... have you tried playing with your EQ a little? Just to experiment.
But more seriously... Here.;)
Curious if its the driver or the crossover? Check this out... courtesy of Swerd. He had sent me a link to a pdf... and I didn't realize it was his until just now! Very cool story though, and as I'm learning about this stuff, very informative!

I guess the question in my mind is: do the Ultras exhibit the same characteristic? If its the crossover in the Primes, for example, maybe the Ultras have addressed that. ;)

You could always order up a pair to try in stereo and see how they perform... considering you won't have to pay return freight if the situation persists! (Unlike the Emos.)

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Only for kicks... have you tried playing with your EQ a little? Just to experiment.
Curious if its the driver or the crossover? Check this out... courtesy of Swerd. He had sent me a link to a pdf... and I didn't realize it was his until just now! Very cool story though, and as I'm learning about this stuff, very informative!

I guess the question in my mind is: do the Ultras exhibit the same characteristic? If its the crossover in the Primes, for example, maybe the Ultras have addressed that. ;)

You could always order up a pair to try in stereo and see how they perform... considering you won't have to pay return freight if the situation persists! (Unlike the Emos.)
The ultras also use a different tweeter and are obviously crossed differently because so. They are quite an upgrade from the Primes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I hate room eq. Although it gets some things right it always messes up other stuff really really bad. The latest version on my Denon of Audyssey really threw the highs and bass off in this system in this room. The difference was quit noticeable when I turned it off. I've always in the past gone off of eq and its still true today. I don't know why I'm drawn to no room correction I just am. I just use it to set distance and levels and to level the subs with my mains. Then I turn it off and just tweak out everything to my satisfaction.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Personally I'm getting ready to upgrade and I'm probably just wigging out. Nitpicking at every single flaw I think things have because I'm scared there's something else out there that could get me there better. I'm super OCD like that whenever I start to get close to pulling the tweeter. Even if I'm overreacting I'm still learning a lot from this so keep the info coming guys thanks for your help!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Personally I'm getting ready to upgrade and I'm probably just wigging out. Nitpicking at every single flaw I think things have because I'm scared there's something else out there that could get me there better. I'm super OCD like that whenever I start to get close to pulling the tweeter. Even if I'm overreacting I'm still learning a lot from this so keep the info coming guys thanks for your help!
Crap trigger not tweeter can someone please help me turn autocorrect off!

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
When you get to designing your own speakers it gets a whole lot worse. I’ve been looking at the same set of drivers from parts Express for a little over three weeks now. Still no closer to picking one.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hate room eq. Although it gets some things right it always messes up other stuff really really bad. The latest version on my Denon of Audyssey really threw the highs and bass off in this system in this room. The difference was quit noticeable when I turned it off. I've always in the past gone off of eq and its still true today. I don't know why I'm drawn to no room correction I just am. I just use it to set distance and levels and to level the subs with my mains. Then I turn it off and just tweak out everything to my satisfaction.
that's what I'm I'm planning on doing, too... and thats what I meant... have you experimented just manually tweaking that range you mentioned in the Butterworth review? Just as an experiment... but maybe it works and you can still use them as surrounds. *shrugs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis