Some Buying Advice Please

G

goldcrown22

Audiophyte
Hi thanks for help I am looking to spend 1500-2 k all in on speakers and receiver for surround set up.
Looking to expand my knowledge base to get something worthy of my hard earned cash. I have had some B&w Nautilis 804 speakers before and dont know if I should save and get some more of those. I quickly ran across the RSl Cg3 speaker set up at 1100.00? or spend almost double and get the cg5 set up? Need sub also. thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Ridire Fáin

Ridire Fáin

Audioholic Intern
This is a hard one. The B&W 804 Nautilus was an $3600.00 speaker back in the day. The 804 D now retails for $9K So the B&W 804 line may be way out of budget. The entry level B&W 600 series starts and $600.00 for a bookshelf so sticking with B&W will get pricey. I cannot recommend B&W product enough but if you wish to have them as a part of an HT system you will need to increase your budget significantly.

First off let us start with the budget for the receiver. Of the amount you want to spend how much of it do you want spend on it. $500.00, $700.00 or $900.00? In general the higher in price you go the receiver will have more powerful amp stages. I personally like an Receiver that have large peak to peak power capacity and can put out over 100 watts continuous for home theater use. But some less powerful units will work well depending on the efficiency of your speakers.

Some idea's: Caveat, I am by no means an ultimate authority here. There are those in this forum who are far, far, far more knowledgeable. Even so, despite the knowledge that exist here you are the ultimate authority on what you like so do some homework and listening. My goal here is to give some things to think about and explore. Final piece of advice do not get caught up in having to obtain the best of the best in others eyes buy what you like and HAVE FUN.

$500.00 plus
Denon AVR-S940H
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®. Bluetooth®, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
7-channel amplifier
90 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven

$650.00
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A780
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
Number Of Channels 7
Stereo RMS Power (watts) 95 THD in Stereo 0.06 % Frequency Bandwidth (stereo) 20-20k Hz

$900.00 on sale normally $1500.00 My personal choice I like the sound of Marantz products better than either Yamaha or Denon.
Marantz SR6012
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®. Dolby Atmos®, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and HEOS
Number Of Channels 9
Stereo RMS Power (watts) 110 THD in Stereo 0.08 % Frequency Bandwidth (stereo) 20-20k Hz

Other options in $900.00 price point: This is where I think you should set your budget. I will explain later.

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A880
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
7-channel amplifier; 100 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for more enveloping home theater sound

Marantz SR5013
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Apple® AirPlay® 2, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
7-channel amplifier; 100 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ for immersive surround sound
built-in HEOS technology offers internet music streaming and wireless whole home audio with compatible components

Speakers:
Here is where I am sure I am going to stir up some controversy. In the old days the formula was to budget 40% for components and 60% for speakers. I think this formula is outdated and needs to be reconsidered.
Speaker technology has made a lot of advances since the 60's and 70"s. Now days you can buy an overachieving $500 speaker that will be on par with a $1500 speaker produced 20 years ago. So the 40/60 formula no longer applies. Now days I spend less money on speakers and budget more for the component.
Hence the recomendation you budget $900.00 for the reciever.

Brands that I know overachieve and give high end sound for not a whole lot of money. To be sure, they are not in the same league as B&W, but have their own merits that makes them a good choice. They need not make any apologies for being budget friendly. They do not sound the same as B&W. However the sound quality of these speakers are on par with them.
Suggest you explore: SVS, RBH, Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm, and Golden Ear (I do not know anything about RSL)

$999.00
Prime Satellite 5.1 System
The Prime Satellite 5.1 Surround Sound System is a super compact home theater system with five massive sounding Prime Satellite speakers and the startlingly powerful SB-1000 Subwoofer. Punches way above its weight and size class to bring immersive surround sound home audio to any small-medium sized room.
WHATS INCLUDED?
Mains | Prime Satellite x 2
Surrounds | Prime Satellite x 2
Center | Prime Satellite
Subwoofer | SB-1000
I like this company and its products a lot. They blow a lot of systems away for not a whole lot of money. When I replace my current HT speaker setup these are on my short list.

Another brand I like a lot. is Goldenear. https://www.goldenear.com/
A little more money than SVS but they have systems that put out lots of bass and clean articulate sound.
Thier powered speakers can get down and growl thus eliminating the need for an added sub.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Goldcrown.
What are you after in this pursuit? HT vs Audio? In terms of recommending recievers, Ridire made some good suggestions. But at the end of the day, the thing that is going to matter most is how you wanna use it and are going to use it. Several friends here will recommend Denon AVRs over Marantz (same company, but depending on your needs, Denon can represent better bang for the buck in more amplification, and a little less potentially unnecessary gadgetry).
I would suggest that your budget is going to be a limiting factor pretty quickly with your wish list... not a bad thing, but you might want to consider building out over time, thus focusing a little more coin where it can count the most NOW.
First, don't skimp on the receiver. Its OK to buy the SR 6012 instead of the 6013 (for example), unless you just have to have imax (and when I say don't skimp on the reciever, that 6012 was $1500 a year ago, like the 6013 is today -- so that can be a good buy if it suits your needs). Consider carefully what you want to accomplish. If you might use B&W speakers, my experience is they need good power, so you'll want pre-outs on your AVR for an eventual external amplifier. Do you want to run 5.1, 7.1, get into atmos? If the latter, you'll want processing for 9-11 channels. Other than that, just make certain your choices are compatible with HDR/Dolby Vision/UHD 4K, latest HDMI protocols.... etc.
Next, the subwoofer is a budget sink. I have 2. I love them. My first encouragement is to familiarize yourself with the Bassaholic room rating system they use in the reviews here at Audioholics. Consider the size [read:VOLUME] of your room. And how you're gonna use it. Pipe organ music requires lower extension than a good HT experience might. If you are all about music, a sealed box might suit your needs better than a ported. But above all else, consider buying the single best sub you can allow yourself to afford, if you choose to go this route. You can save and add a second later, if needed, but good high quality subs are a splendid thing. On the other hand, an undersized sub in an 8000'3 room might barely tickle your tootsies at 9". :p
Then the speakers: consider building over time so you can put together a great system over 6-9 mos, instead of a mediocre system now. Maybe you start with 2.1 or 3.1 now. If you choose standmounts to start, you can add towers later and move the standmounts to surround. Later still you can round out and add rears or atmos... or that second sub ;)

Please share a little of your vision and plans. What's your room size? A lot of the cats here will gladly float ideas and suggestions to help you sort out the details. Hope this helps!

G

goldcrown22

Audiophyte
Great info so far , I am leaning towards more HT in a 25 x25ft room, not really looking to get to expensive , and just be content with some decent Ht for 5 years or so and then maybe upgrade again at that point

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The B&W Nautilus 804s should be pretty good, I don't know that you can top those in your modest budget. I would just use those and add a center speaker, an AVR, and maybe a subwoofer if you want deep bass for movies. I would be looking at an AVR with a half-way decent amplifier, or an AVR with pre-outs so that you can add a good amp later. For a center speaker, look at the Infinity Reference RC263, that one should be very neutral and accurate, and it isn't extremely expensive. The Outlaw LCR is excellent as well, and is only $100 more. For look at a Hsu VTF-2 mk5, they have a slight discount on this one at the moment, and you won't be able to get anything that digs deeper for around the same price. For an AVR, I would look at what you can get from Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz. Just get the best one that you can afford. I wouldn't be surprised if your 804s are a 4 ohm electrical load, so don't cheap out too much on the AVR or amplifier.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Great advice there from Shady! He's helped me out a lot.

I was going to share this thread to illustrate the point I was making about getting the right size sub: pb-12-nsd-vs-pb-1000.

That VTF-2 is supposed to be a very good sub. If you have 8' ceilings, your looking at a 5000'3 room. It might very well be worthwhile stepping up to the VTF-3 mk5 HP, though. Still a very good sub for the cost, though not on sale right now like the 2 is.

Happy hunting!

G

goldcrown22

Audiophyte
Sorry to confuse but I no longer have the 804s I am starting over

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to confuse but I no longer have the 804s I am starting over
That said, consider starting small, and adding to the rig over time. Look at Ascend, the CBM and CMTs are on sale right now and might be a good starting point. Also the Affordable Accuracy+ speakers from Philharmonic could get you started, along with the Center for 440+shipping. I think JBL might still have some sales going on too.

M

MLazur

Audiophyte
Hi thanks for help I am looking to spend 1500-2 k all in on speakers and receiver for surround set up.
Looking to expand my knowledge base to get something worthy of my hard earned cash. I have had some B&w Nautilis 804 speakers before and dont know if I should save and get some more of those. I quickly ran across the RSl Cg3 speaker set up at 1100.00? or spend almost double and get the cg5 set up? Need sub also. thanks a bunch!
Personally I leaned a long time ago don’t cheap out on electronics. I personally just upgraded my receiver and went with Yamaha Aventage 2080. Let me tell you something. I’m shocked Audioholics haven’t done a you tube article on this receiver. The AI in this unit is light years ahead of anything out there! The sound is amazing when watching blue ray. My speakers I would say are average but the sound I’m getting is second to none. I vested in 2 Polk audio 10 inch subs. Take my advice on this. 2 subs is so much better then 1 big powerful sub. Better sound and balance especially around the room. And the sweet spot is so tight. I’m currently running 5.2.4. I really didn’t want to go 7.2.4. The side speakers to me don’t add to much but if you go true Atmos sound don’t go deflection speakers go true ceiling speakers. Big difference there too if you can. I compared Marantz and Denon when buying. Yamaha is right. Yiur constantly trying to find the right surround sound to watch in. No matter what you put it in something just seems missing. Yamaha AI takes it all away. Everything I watch it just sounds perfect.

G

goldcrown22

Audiophyte
Well I am thinking of using the Marantz sr6012 then just going 3.1 till I decide on some upgraded mains or towers and move the other speakers to rear. Based on that would any of these brands pair better for my situation ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The main advice I want to give: whatever you buy now, try yo plan for matching your center and soon to be had towers. If you buy standmounts to start, probably just look to keep the brand and class of speaker unless you can verify that voicing will crossover (i.e. SVS Prime and Ultra speakers can be mixed and matched). That said... they are not on sale, and you don't realize any savings unless you buy 5+ speakers... however the value they represent is very good, and their customer service is exemplary. I've talked to a few people who claim to be SVS'ers for life. ;) Prime books+center for 850.
Check out those JBL sales... the 590s including matching center?! You could start there. 590s+520c for 1080.
Keep Ascend and Philharmonic in mind too.
Still recommend Hsu for subs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you can buy before the sale ends, i think the JBL 590's and 520 are the way to go!
That is $1080 for the front 3, or you can save $140 by going with the JBL 580's at $380 each putting you at $940 for the front 3 (especially since you are adding a subwoofer). For music, I find the bass of the 580's to be pretty satisfactory. My JBL 580's (with dual 6.5" woofers) dig deeper than the Klipsch RP-280f (which has dual 8" woofers)!
At more than 50% off for speakers that are as well respected as the 580's or 590's, I say "just do it" (unless you can't stomach the look...otherwise they are wonderful speakers)!
Since we are burning through your budget so fast, I would suggest either waiting or getting a pair of Arena B15 surround speakers at $107/pr.! That puts things at $1187 or $1047 (depending on whether you get the 580's or the 590's.
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html?cgid=loudspeakers&dwvar_STUDIO 590_color=Black-USA-Supporti
https://www.jbl.com/holiday-sale/STUDIO+520C.html?cgid=holiday-sale&dwvar_STUDIO 520C_color=Black-USA-Current
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580.html
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bookshelf-Surround-Speaker-Special/dp/B01EYJZYQ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545110382&sr=8-3&keywords=jbl+surround+speakers
On the Marantz SR6012, you would be better served to get a Denon AVR-X3400H which is largely equivalent. Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company and the 6012 and 3400 compare closely in quality and feature set. They take advantage of Marantz's legacy in the US and present it as an upscale AVR when their is not much difference.
That said, if you are in love with the cosmetic design of the Marantz or other aspect, get what you value.
The Denon is available from Crutchfield or Amazon for $600:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX3400/Denon-AVR-X3400H-IN-Command.html?search=denon_x3400h&skipvs=T
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX3400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z9ZGSZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545110848&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=denon+avr-x3400h&psc=1&smid=A2H3DYB5PUVNNI

So that puts us at $1787 or $1647. Depending on your budget, you can leave off the sub for a while and save up to buy one down the road. I would look to Hsu or Outlaw (which are currently on sale) for subs. ShadyJ is knowledgeable about which subs are appropriate to use for what size room. Figure $500 to $600 for a good sub unless your room is pretty large!

I will disagree with what Ridire Fain said about spending more money on electronics and less on speakers.
I agree that speakers have made substantial strides, but I believe once you have an AVR like the 3400, you have a very capable AVR for powering the JBL's (which are pretty efficient) and spending more money gets you next to nothing in the way of audible improvements. You are entering the realm of diminishing returns!
However, the improvement in Sound Quality from spending more on your speakers is typically pretty significant!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you can buy before the sale ends, i think the JBL 590's and 520 are the way to go!
That is $1080 for the front 3, or you can save $140 by going with the JBL 580's at $380 each putting you at $940 for the front 3 (especially since you are adding a subwoofer). For music, I find the bass of the 580's to be pretty satisfactory. My JBL 580's (with dual 6.5" woofers) dig deeper than the Klipsch RP-280f (which has dual 8" woofers)!
At more than 50% off for speakers that are as well respected as the 580's or 590's, I say "just do it" (unless you can't stomach the look...otherwise they are wonderful speakers)!
Since we are burning through your budget so fast, I would suggest either waiting or getting a pair of Arena B15 surround speakers at $107/pr.! That puts things at $1187 or $1047 (depending on whether you get the 580's or the 590's.
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html?cgid=loudspeakers&dwvar_STUDIO 590_color=Black-USA-Supporti
https://www.jbl.com/holiday-sale/STUDIO+520C.html?cgid=holiday-sale&dwvar_STUDIO 520C_color=Black-USA-Current
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bookshelf-Surround-Speaker-Special/dp/B01EYJZYQ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545110382&sr=8-3&keywords=jbl+surround+speakers
On the Marantz SR6012, you would be better served to get a Denon AVR-X3400H which is largely equivalent. Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company and the 6012 and 3400 compare closely in quality and feature set. They take advantage of Marantz's legacy in the US and present it as an upscale AVR when their is not much difference.
That said, if you are in love with the cosmetic design of the Marantz or other aspect, get what you value.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX3400/Denon-AVR-X3400H-IN-Command.html?search=denon_x3400h&skipvs=T
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX3400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z9ZGSZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545110848&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=denon+avr-x3400h&psc=1&smid=A2H3DYB5PUVNNI

So that puts us at $1787 or $1647. Depending on your budget, you can leave off the sub for a while and save up to buy one down the road. I would look to Hsu or Outlaw (which are currently on sale) for subs. ShadyJ is knowledgeable about which subs are appropriate to use for what size room. Figure $500 to $600 for a good sub unless your room is pretty large!

I will disagree with what Ridire Fain said about spending more money on electronics and less on speakers.
I agree that speakers have made substantial strides, but I believe once you have an AVR like the 3400, you have a very capable AVR for powering the JBL's (which are pretty efficient) and spending more money gets you next to nothing in the way of audible improvements. You are entering the realm of diminishing returns!
However, the improvement in Sound Quality from spending more on your speakers is typically pretty significant!
good speakers will last longer than a receiver or amplifier. If not damaged, they can last decades! Amplifiers will fail over time.
I love the sound of my marantz, but denon probably represents more bang for the buck.
And if it makes the difference between getting that sub now, or later... I vote for NOW! ;) And agree that considering that denon might be a good call. Oh, and if you are really itching for that 6012... consider the denon 4400. Think its same price right now

The outlaw sale ended at midnight eastern time. But HSU, on the other hand, still has stuff on sale. Very well respected! If you want to wait a bit and save up... look into Rythmik. Really good stuff by reputation, and I almost ordered from them until the Outlaw sale hit. SVS is great for subs, too, but the cost creeps up pretty quickly, and for your room probably should be looking at their 4000 series. Maybe 3000series can work, but I suspect you might want more.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

This looks like a great setup but he will need a sub with that JBL center with the dual 4in drivers. It will need bass management help at the AVR at a pretty high crossover.

The HSU VTF2 MK5 is a very nice ported 12in subwoofer and it is a lot cheaper than comparable subs from SVS or Rythmik.

In a large room the HSU VTF3 ported 15in might be much better though. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I gotta say the JBL's on your budget would be the way to go if they are still on sale. Hell they'd have been my first pick if I hadn't fallen in love with SVS and there subs and speaker line

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have an SR6012, too. Have had some warranty issues with it... but that's just mine. By reputation, they are solid. Marantz AND Denon (same parent company: D&M holdings). Love the sound of the Marantz. You should consider either as your preference allows. ;)

Ridire Fáin

Ridire Fáin

Audioholic Intern
USER=86942]@goldcrown22[/USER]
The Denon AVR X3400 is a solid recommendation. And is a wiser choice than the Marantz 6012 especially at the $600 sale price. The savings it represents may make it possible to look into something like adding an SVS towers to your package. That being said, the JBL 590 is also a solid recommendation. Though I have not listened to JBL in a very long time, they were my favorites back in the day.

They take advantage of Marantz's legacy in the US and present it as an upscale AVR when their is not much difference.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV...-IN-Command.html?search=denon_x3400h&skipvs=T
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX34...ds=denon+avr-x3400h&psc=1&smid=A2H3DYB5PUVNNI

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/ST...ers&dwvar_STUDIO 590_color=Black-USA-Supporti
https://www.jbl.com/holiday-sale/ST...ale&dwvar_STUDIO 520C_color=Black-USA-Current
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Bookshel...5110382&sr=8-3&keywords=jbl+surround+speakers

Agreed. Not much difference from Denon or Marantz. Owned both, loved both. However I like the fit and finish of Marantz over Denon. My Marantz over Denon fetish is just a matter of personal taste overriding sensibility. You do pay more for that Marantz name. The prestige it once held, does not mean a hill of bean to me personally. It is a given, that it is not company that Saul Marantz started. Just like Denon is no longer the same as it was during the 80's and 90's. Both have made questionable compromises that enable them to be major players in the HT market. Not many are willing to spend $5k on an AV receiver which would be the price point of Marantz gear if it remained faithful to its Hi-End roots.

The effect of diminishing returns I have found is also true of speakers. It is where I differ from a lot of the old school folks. Not that the old school assertion is wrong here, there is a lot wisdom in it that still applies. Nonetheless, with the advances in speaker technology and all the over achieving brands that are out there. I just think it is a bit outdated.

Here is the point I am trying to make. Do not cheap out on the components. Often when I go to friends house they will have an $3000 speaker package and then power it $500 receiver; that either runs out of steam on the peaks or its pricepoit compromises gets magnified by the speakers. IMHO folks who do this sort of thing are not getting the best out of their investment. With a quality source component you will always get the best out the speaker. Speakers do not always get the best out of the source component. (Conversely I believe you do not put in a speaker that are on the cheap either, invest some money into a good product) So I always lean towards investing more of my budget into electronics than most do. Then in a Speaker, look to purchase a high quality, over achieving, budget conscience brands that can do 95% of what the notable ones are able to. Again, living with something like an Salk versus a comparable B&W system that comes in at over double the cost .

In short, don't spend so much money on the speaker package that you no longer have enough left over to purchase an quality receiver to power them. I found that road leads to a lot of disappointment and additional expense.

Last edited:
G

goldcrown22

Audiophyte
Well I pulled the trigger on JBL’s now onto the Denon thanks a bunch for help

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis