Early stage planning of upgrading to projection

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Danzilla thank you very much for that information. I am so glad to hear about your experience! Have you had much experience just watching regular television with it? Is there anything about the set up that would give you reservations about using it as a daily use television?
So far I have found nothing to give me reservations about watching tv with it.

One thing I did learn is that this type of projector has to be pretty much dead center with the screen. So you need to plan ahead on where your going to put it. But the new one I'm getting tommorow the epson 4000? It has lens shift and you can put in so many different spots and get it centered right onto your screen.

So know what type of projector your getting on how it's lens zoom and keystone correction all work on its flexibility of placement cuz that can limit your options on some models on where they can go

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Danzilla31
I guess if I ribbed you about your car you’d end up with a top fuel dragster in the driveway!!!
Nice job.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
So far I have found nothing to give me reservations about watching tv with it.

One thing I did learn is that this type of projector has to be pretty much dead center with the screen. So you need to plan ahead on where your going to put it. But the new one I'm getting tommorow the epson 4000? It has lens shift and you can put in so many different spots and get it centered right onto your screen.

So know what type of projector your getting on how it's lens zoom and keystone correction all work on its flexibility of placement cuz that can limit your options on some models on where they can go
Let me know how that epson is plz. I’ve been considering getting a screen n projector. I’ve looked at that one, the 4010 and couple jvcs. Thx

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Let me know how that epson is plz. I’ve been considering getting a screen n projector. I’ve looked at that one, the 4010 and couple jvcs. Thx
I will for sure it's supposed to be delivered to day if it gets in on time and I got time to set it up I'll let you know what I think for sure. My hunch though? for me the 4000 will be a good upgrade but since your like a year out and will have a proper dedicated theater room properly treated and in a year some prices should drop? I'd go with a true 4k projector. But I'll let you know what I think of it it's HDR ability with colors it's supposed to have if it's as easy to set up as they say. And it's e4k if that really makes a difference. That upshifting stuff to give it a 4k like image. I'll give a full review on it

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh snap I thought you were the OP Reckel my bad I think your theater room is a little more open and a little less light controlled then his will be also you wanted more of a bargain price not a crazy expensive one if I remember I will for sure let you know what I think of the 4000

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Danzilla...The excitement and enthusiasm I am getting from your posts Is causing me to reevaluate my timeline. If you keep this up I might put an order in today LOL!

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Oh snap I thought you were the OP Reckel my bad I think your theater room is a little more open and a little less light controlled then his will be also you wanted more of a bargain price not a crazy expensive one if I remember I will for sure let you know what I think of the 4000
Yea it opens up to left of my listening area but light is not going to be an issue for me

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Danzilla...The excitement and enthusiasm I am getting from your posts Is causing me to reevaluate my timeline. If you keep this up I might put an order in today LOL!
Hah hah that's how we roll on audioholics!!! :cool:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is a certain awe that goes along with turning on a projector in your home for the first time that's hard to explain. I remember an installation I did with a Epson 8350 and a 120 or 130 inch screen. I hooked everything up and was just running through some basic image alignment and calibration so the projector was on for about an hour.
The client came in, sat in the middle of his tiled floor with NO furniture in the room at all. Just sat there and stared at the screen for a good hour. Just taking in the awe of the immersion that is delivered. I had lights on and everything! The image was pretty bad because of the lighting, but it was there, and it was full 1080p.

For some reason people often are under the idea that projectors will look 'bad'. With lights on, they don't look 'great', but they are immersive, and with some light control near the screen, they don't look that bad. But, once you start getting the room darker and darker, projectors look like a decent LCD TV. The better projectors (JVC/Sony/Top shelf Epson), can match or rival what many movie theaters deliver, and can look very similar to OLED displays. Top of the line LCD displays.

But, it is the size that draws people in. That they DO have a movie theater in their home and it truly is a different experience than any TV. They aren't looking at light bulbs in their face, they are seeing the reflection of a projector and it is a movie theater and it is in their home and it is just awesome.

Oh, and the previous poster who was complaining about all the stuff he has to do just to watch TV is a reminder that a quality universal remote makes it so you press ONE button and everything turns on and works. That's all I have to do. My kids and my wife can use the projector as easily as they use any other TV in the home.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey my man the Epson just came in its my first day off work so later today I'll be setting it up and playing with it I'll post on here my impressions of the 4000

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Hey my man the Epson just came in its my first day off work so later today I'll be setting it up and playing with it I'll post on here my impressions of the 4000
Sweet, looking forward to hearing how it is. What you pay for it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sweet, looking forward to hearing how it is. What you pay for it?
Ok she's picked up be spending the afternoon alternating between watching the ufc and hooking her up once everything is setup I'll let you know!
20181215_150615.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Get that hooked up yet dude, lol! I’ve been waiting all day
Okay buddy set it up here comes the review.

Size is an issue for me. It's huge and since I want to put it on a table or in the open even ceiling mounting it just sticks out like a sore thumb. In your room probably not going to be an issue in min a huge negative

The control and setup is awesome. As easy as they say it is. Lens shift zoom focus keystones all being controled by the remote makes it a snap to get the image dialed in. So a big plus on this one

Picture quality and colors are just amazing. Big difference from the other one. Blacks are better contrast resolution it puts out a gorgeous picture even in my open non light controlled living room and the other one is no slouch in this area. Another plus in this area.

It runs so quieeet and other one was quiet bigger fan makes a big difference huge plus here

BUT and this is a big minus for me filling the frame is a challenge for me. What I mean by this my other projector has multiple screen sizes to choose from native full lbx 16:9 wide screen and it's very easy to zoom the image without affecting the ratio. I can set it on 16:9 and just zoom it quickly and it fills my whole screen without losing hardly any image no bars no problem.

On the Epson no dice on cable and streaming no problem on movies it just stretches it out side to side not up and down huge minus for me.

It won't let me change aspect ratios I'm stuck on normal no matter what I try. Another huge minus.

The controls are easy but they don't have any values for example the zoom you push the arrows it starts to zoom but you don't know how much. On the optoma it tells you 1 2 3 etc. Same with lend shift or focus. So you better save your adjustments to memory because otherwise you have no clue what you did. For example on the uptake I know at zoom 1 I am perfect for a full screen for streaming and cable. For zoom 8 I'm perfect on movies. I know the values of my horizontal and vertical lens shift. In case I ever transport it I know exactly what everything is when I bring it back to that spot

The epson it doesn't tell you so you better use it's memory settings or your in the dark another big minus for me

Brightness is an issue it's only putting out 2500 lumens the optoma is 3200. This is important for me being in my living room. I need at least a projector in the 3000's for daytime viewing and nighttime peak performance in my room. So another minus

So please remember I'm still a noob at this. So take my review with that in mind But in my room with my needs I feel the Epson is not a good fit for me. Will be returning it today. But for a dedicated theater room with someone that knows what they are doing because maybe my lack of experience is part of my issue with the controls I feel this is an amazing projector the image is 1080p is simply stunning. Although if your into 4k I'd wait a year and see if good models that do true 4k from this year prices drop a bit. It's picture is stunning but it cant do true 4k and you can tell the difference in my opinion.

Since I don't care about 4k and I like the intuitive understanding that comes easier that I seem to have with the optomas controls I will stick with this budget one for know and look for a better upgrade in the future.

And I really like DLP over LCD for some reason I don't seem to get that rainbow effect that others do. Hope that gave you some good info. Hope I got all the terms right LOL

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Okay buddy set it up here comes the review.

Size is an issue for me. It's huge and since I want to put it on a table or in the open even ceiling mounting it just sticks out like a sore thumb. In your room probably not going to be an issue in min a huge negative

The control and setup is awesome. As easy as they say it is. Lens shift zoom focus keystones all being controled by the remote makes it a snap to get the image dialed in. So a big plus on this one

Picture quality and colors are just amazing. Big difference from the other one. Blacks are better contrast resolution it puts out a gorgeous picture even in my open non light controlled living room and the other one is no slouch in this area. Another plus in this area.

It runs so quieeet and other one was quiet bigger fan makes a big difference huge plus here

BUT and this is a big minus for me filling the frame is a challenge for me. What I mean by this my other projector has multiple screen sizes to choose from native full lbx 16:9 wide screen and it's very easy to zoom the image without affecting the ratio. I can set it on 16:9 and just zoom it quickly and it fills my whole screen without losing hardly any image no bars no problem.

On the Epson no dice on cable and streaming no problem on movies it just stretches it out side to side not up and down huge minus for me.

It won't let me change aspect ratios I'm stuck on normal no matter what I try. Another huge minus.

The controls are easy but they don't have any values for example the zoom you push the arrows it starts to zoom but you don't know how much. On the optoma it tells you 1 2 3 etc. Same with lend shift or focus. So you better save your adjustments to memory because otherwise you have no clue what you did. For example on the uptake I know at zoom 1 I am perfect for a full screen for streaming and cable. For zoom 8 I'm perfect on movies. I know the values of my horizontal and vertical lens shift. In case I ever transport it I know exactly what everything is when I bring it back to that spot

The epson it doesn't tell you so you better use it's memory settings or your in the dark another big minus for me

Brightness is an issue it's only putting out 2500 lumens the optoma is 3200. This is important for me being in my living room. I need at least a projector in the 3000's for daytime viewing and nighttime peak performance in my room. So another minus

So please remember I'm still a noob at this. So take my review with that in mind But in my room with my needs I feel the Epson is not a good fit for me. Will be returning it today. But for a dedicated theater room with someone that knows what they are doing because maybe my lack of experience is part of my issue with the controls I feel this is an amazing projector the image is 1080p is simply stunning. Although if your into 4k I'd wait a year and see if good models that do true 4k from this year prices drop a bit. It's picture is stunning but it cant do true 4k and you can tell the difference in my opinion.

Since I don't care about 4k and I like the intuitive understanding that comes easier that I seem to have with the optomas controls I will stick with this budget one for know and look for a better upgrade in the future.

And I really like DLP over LCD for some reason I don't seem to get that rainbow effect that others do. Hope that gave you some good info. Hope I got all the terms right LOL
You did a good job to me man, idk about projectors either and Idk if the dlp or lcd is better. I’m not sure if the size wouldn’t be an issue for me but I’ve seen the 4000 n it’s fing huge and honestly I don’t like how massive it is. I think but could be wrong but the 4000 n up they are all that size.

To me it seems like jvc n Sony are the projectors to get for a dedicated room, which would screw you cuz you need a brighter one for your living room. I may be wrong but the jvc n Sony’s aren’t anywhere close to 3000 lumens like you need and idk how’d they perform in my room cuz besides watching movies in the dark, I do watch a lot of football n baseball not in the dark.

The size of the jvc n Sony may be similar to the epson but I’m not positive. Maybe the performance of the models above the 4000 are better but again I do not know and can’t say for sure, I would guess you are in the dark just like me on that.

To be honest idk wth projector to look at. Obviously I can control my lightning in my basement so movies in the dark would look awesome but I also want the projector to look good while I’m watching sports or regular hdtv with some lightning on, I don’t watch tv in the dark. Dk what to look at. I appreciate you getting back to me with ur thoughts man. Hopefully works out for you and you find the projector that’s best, I’m kinda in same boat as you.

I did my basement as a man area/getaway so I’m not gonna always sit in my living room watching sports or tv. My kids have the tv up there more than me so I’m gonna need something that performs well for both in basement with no lights n lights on. Thx again man, definitely keep me posted on what you do.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You did a good job to me man, idk about projectors either and Idk if the dlp or lcd is better. I’m not sure if the size wouldn’t be an issue for me but I’ve seen the 4000 n it’s fing huge and honestly I don’t like how massive it is. I think but could be wrong but the 4000 n up they are all that size.

To me it seems like jvc n Sony are the projectors to get for a dedicated room, which would screw you cuz you need a brighter one for your living room. I may be wrong but the jvc n Sony’s aren’t anywhere close to 3000 lumens like you need and idk how’d they perform in my room cuz besides watching movies in the dark, I do watch a lot of football n baseball not in the dark.

The size of the jvc n Sony may be similar to the epson but I’m not positive. Maybe the performance of the models above the 4000 are better but again I do not know and can’t say for sure, I would guess you are in the dark just like me on that.

To be honest idk wth projector to look at. Obviously I can control my lightning in my basement so movies in the dark would look awesome but I also want the projector to look good while I’m watching sports or regular hdtv with some lightning on, I don’t watch tv in the dark. Dk what to look at. I appreciate you getting back to me with ur thoughts man. Hopefully works out for you and you find the projector that’s best, I’m kinda in same boat as you.

I did my basement as a man area/getaway so I’m not gonna always sit in my living room watching sports or tv. My kids have the tv up there more than me so I’m gonna need something that performs well for both in basement with no lights n lights on. Thx again man, definitely keep me posted on what you do.
For sure I know the members here will no doubt have great advice for me next year when I choose to upgrade and with your specific needs in mind I'm sure they will have good options for you as well. I'd trust the guys on this forum over the salesman any day except for the guy I do business with at Bjorn's. He truly has shown me a couple of times an interest in saving me money as well as making me happy which has won him a loyal customer. But I still run his advice by the guys here before I make a decision on an upgrade on something I have little experience with

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis