Early stage planning of upgrading to projection

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You did a good job to me man, idk about projectors either and Idk if the dlp or lcd is better. I’m not sure if the size wouldn’t be an issue for me but I’ve seen the 4000 n it’s fing huge and honestly I don’t like how massive it is. I think but could be wrong but the 4000 n up they are all that size.

To me it seems like jvc n Sony are the projectors to get for a dedicated room, which would screw you cuz you need a brighter one for your living room. I may be wrong but the jvc n Sony’s aren’t anywhere close to 3000 lumens like you need and idk how’d they perform in my room cuz besides watching movies in the dark, I do watch a lot of football n baseball not in the dark.

The size of the jvc n Sony may be similar to the epson but I’m not positive. Maybe the performance of the models above the 4000 are better but again I do not know and can’t say for sure, I would guess you are in the dark just like me on that.

To be honest idk wth projector to look at. Obviously I can control my lightning in my basement so movies in the dark would look awesome but I also want the projector to look good while I’m watching sports or regular hdtv with some lightning on, I don’t watch tv in the dark. Dk what to look at. I appreciate you getting back to me with ur thoughts man. Hopefully works out for you and you find the projector that’s best, I’m kinda in same boat as you.

I did my basement as a man area/getaway so I’m not gonna always sit in my living room watching sports or tv. My kids have the tv up there more than me so I’m gonna need something that performs well for both in basement with no lights n lights on. Thx again man, definitely keep me posted on what you do.
Yeah I think all the higher end true 4k projectors are all huge and may need to be at the current level of technology. Hopefully the brightness and size will go down as the technology improves and trickles down to the masses. I think right now they are and probably rightfully so focusing the new technology on dedicated theater rooms which probably your not as worried about size

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I think all the higher end true 4k projectors are all huge and may need to be at the current level of technology. Hopefully the brightness and size will go down as the technology improves and trickles down to the masses. I think right now they are and probably rightfully so focusing the new technology on dedicated theater rooms which probably your not as worried about size
Meant to say brightness goes up lol

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
For sure I know the members here will no doubt have great advice for me next year when I choose to upgrade and with your specific needs in mind I'm sure they will have good options for you as well. I'd trust the guys on this forum over the salesman any day except for the guy I do business with at Bjorn's. He truly has shown me a couple of times an interest in saving me money as well as making me happy which has won him a loyal customer. But I still run his advice by the guys here before I make a decision on an upgrade on something I have little experience with
I meant to ask you, since you put your subs behind your couch, you set them for 75db each or did you have to lower them?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I don’t like how big the dam things are

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I meant to ask you, since you put your subs behind your couch, you set them for 75db each or did you have to lower them?
Yes I let Audyssey level match them and it's still important to match them with your front speakers. Where the near field effect comes into play is after they are level matched and measured I can hit God level like outputs with pure distortionless bass and all the tactile experience I want without having to crank these beasts up hardly at all. Really saves on wear and tear and the sound quality is just awesome

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
I'm reading through all these posts trying to determine what 2 projectors you compared and what you decided:
Epson 4000 (Better picture, but poor adjustments (zoom, etc)
Optima (Model?) better size and ease of use?

Reckel, Did I get that right?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I'm reading through all these posts trying to determine what 2 projectors you compared and what you decided:

I never bought and compared, Danzilla did but I did ask him how the 4000 performed and I’m sure you saw his post on it a few before these. I told him although lighting isn’t an issue for me, I’d like a jvc but I also watch a lot of sports and tv and I don’t have the lights off watching those all the time. Jvc has 1800 lumens so I know it’ll look great in the dark but also need something that looks as good when the lights are on sometimes

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

I’m not trying to sound crappy about you seeing the post, was just saying but I thought he liked his first one

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

Actually his long post is on the page before this one I think

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Yes I let Audyssey level match them and it's still important to match them with your front speakers. Where the near field effect comes into play is after they are level matched and measured I can hit God level like outputs with pure distortionless bass and all the tactile experience I want without having to crank these beasts up hardly at all. Really saves on wear and tear and the sound quality is just awesome
When you say matching them to the fronts, aren’t you just setting all your speakers to 75db and maybe adding 3-4db to the sub when your done?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
When you say matching them to the fronts, aren’t you just setting all your speakers to 75db and maybe adding 3-4db to the sub when your done?
Yes to do more you need a better Mic a laptop and good room correction software. But level matching in my room where there at I'm very happy with the sound as is so I'm too lazy to go all out like that with the eq:)

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Yes to do more you need a better Mic a laptop and good room correction software. But level matching in my room where there at I'm very happy with the sound as is so I'm too lazy to go all out like that with the eq:)
Well that’s how I’ve done mine too, I haven’t got a mic or rew yet. Maybe the wife bought me the mic for Xmas

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
You take back the epson yet? I assume you are using the optoma?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You take back the epson yet? I assume you are using the optoma?
Yeah I took it back I gotta run back to work but later I'll get back here and giv you some more detail on why. And that optoma for the PRICE I bought it is the S@$!t my friend the picture looks amazing. And it was very easy to setup. I'm jamming movies and Netflix like CRAZY

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

Hell im still debating on whether to buy two more subs after the holidays

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Yeah I took it back I gotta run back to work but later I'll get back here and giv you some more detail on why. And that optoma for the PRICE I bought it is the S@$!t my friend the picture looks amazing. And it was very easy to setup. I'm jamming movies and Netflix like CRAZY
So there’s more to it than what you already told me? Ok so your gonna have to tell me more about the optoma then man. That’s a dlp right? Blacks look good and colors pop? How bout if you have lights on or light is coming in through your windows? I mentioned to you that I watch a lot of sports n tv too besides movies but I don’t always watch tv n sports in the dark so I want it to look good if I have some lighting on

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
For some reason I thought dlp wasn’t that good but again, idk about projectors

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Hey my friend that was me. Guilty as charged I posted the comparison lol. Yeah I did take back the epson for the reasons mentioned above. The Optoma I kept was the HD26. Just a fun projector I got for $350.

The Epson had a much better picture there is no arguing that.

But it's size sucked too HUGE.

And even with the automatic controls on the remote I found it hard to adjust the picture size exactly the way I wanted it.

No value increments on the display for zoom etc. So it was impossible to tell where you were at or what you did

Wouldn't let me adjust the picture say from 16:9 to full to normal etc. Not easy to experiment with.

The Optoma was easy to set up super easy has values for the adjustments you make. And the picture is still very very nice even if the epson is better. Easier to play with a lot of fun to setup so for now I'm sticking with it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For some reason I thought dlp wasn’t that good but again, idk about projectors
Actually there are strength and weaknesses to both. So it comes down to preferences DLP I know from others can be more susceptible to that rainbow effect although I've never noticed it on mine

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis