Early stage planning of upgrading to projection

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Actually there are strength and weaknesses to both. So it comes down to preferences DLP I know from others can be more susceptible to that rainbow effect although I've never noticed it on mine
Is there a huge picture difference between the two? Yea man I don’t like how big the epson is, I don’t want that big of a projector hanging from my ceiling or sitting on a shelf. What’s the rainbow effect? 4K didn’t matter to you did it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Is there a huge picture difference between the two? Yea man I don’t like how big the epson is, I don’t want that big of a projector hanging from my ceiling or sitting on a shelf. What’s the rainbow effect? 4K didn’t matter to you did it?
Not a huge difference but they are noticeable

I think colors are better on dlp projectors and blacks but with price I think that evens out the higher up you go in what you pay for

The rainbow effect is sometime you see like little rainbows at ceartin angles sitting off axis on ceartin screen shots with DLP projectors some people notice it others don't I've never seen it myself.

No 4k really doesn't mean sh@$! tome at this point. I think in about 3 more years with more content and better prices and the technology completely worked out absolutely. But not at this time.

I'm still perfectly happy with 1080p. And that optoma HD26 the other day on AVATAR put out an amazing picture better then the 1080p TV I had. And it only cost me $350 bucks $600 with the 120 inch screen I bought from the dude. I got lucky there he has a shop right by my house sells screens and projectors refurbished for cheap with warranties. Also keeps all the bulbs etc in stock and he's right down the road. So I'll only be buying stuff from him. So yeah at this point for those prices yeah I don't care about 4k at all. I guarantee you in a couple years he'll have some 4k projector for like half off or even better and that's when I'll go for it

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Not a huge difference but they are noticeable

I think colors are better on dlp projectors and blacks but with price I think that evens out the higher up you go in what you pay for

The rainbow effect is sometime you see like little rainbows at ceartin angles sitting off axis on ceartin screen shots with DLP projectors some people notice it others don't I've never seen it myself.

No 4k really doesn't mean sh@$! tome at this point. I think in about 3 more years with more content and better prices and the technology completely worked out absolutely. But not at this time.

I'm still perfectly happy with 1080p. And that optoma HD26 the other day on AVATAR put out an amazing picture better then the 1080p TV I had. And it only cost me $350 bucks $600 with the 120 inch screen I bought from the dude. I got lucky there he has a shop right by my house sells screens and projectors refurbished for cheap with warranties. Also keeps all the bulbs etc in stock and he's right down the road. So I'll only be buying stuff from him. So yeah at this point for those prices yeah I don't care about 4k at all. I guarantee you in a couple years he'll have some 4k projector for like half off or even better and that's when I'll go for it
Well that’s good to hear 1080p looks dam good still with a projector. I was looking at 1080p ones but was up in the air on whether to get 1080p or a 4K one or rather one that’s not a true 4K one. The true 4K ones are expensive as hell now. Whatever I get I don’t wanna have to upgrade in a couple years, just wasting money to me. Is yours loud, fan noise?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well that’s good to hear 1080p looks dam good still with a projector. I was looking at 1080p ones but was up in the air on whether to get 1080p or a 4K one or rather one that’s not a true 4K one. The true 4K ones are expensive as hell now. Whatever I get I don’t wanna have to upgrade in a couple years, just wasting money to me. Is yours loud, fan noise?
Not at all I never hear it pretty Damn quiet that surprised me I thought it would be noisier

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Not at all I never hear it pretty Damn quiet that surprised me I thought it would be noisier
For me since I can get them so cheap from him I don't see the need to worry I can enjoy good 1080p and then upgrade later

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
For me since I can get them so cheap from him I don't see the need to worry I can enjoy good 1080p and then upgrade later
You said sports and regular tv looks good still right? Even with some light?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For some reason I thought dlp wasn’t that good but again, idk about projectors
DLP vs. LCD is a long debate. In a nutshell, DLP has simply been pounded by LCD at the mid-range level. There are few DLP projectors with decent lenses that allow for long zoom range and reasonable lens shift. The other issue, especially with the newest DLP models, is that their contrast is weak. The newest DLP chips have lower contrast than the 1080p chips they had before. So, higher resolution, but lower contrast. That's a big tradeoff for anyone in a good room.
But, at the lower end, DLP tends to outperform LCD, and you can't touch the price for 4K resolution models. DLP is a good deal less money.
LCD has no chance of rainbow effect (RBE) which is good. Their colors are typically excellent and considered to have better saturation, but this is very close these days.
LCD is brighter. Almost ALWAYS LCD is brighter than DLP.
This has to do with color brightness and there is a lot written up about color brightness vs. rated brightness. For example, that 3,200 lumen Optoma, once calibrated for decent color is likely to only deliver about 1,000 lumens of calibration brightness. In comparison, the Epson may deliver 1,400+ lumens, and can reach beyond 2,000 lumens while still maintaining excellent color. The Optoma simply can't. This is all about color wheels and color wheel speeds and marketing.
Have NO doubt that when a DLP projector talks about 3,000+ lumens, they are using MARKETING, not actual performance on that number. A good home theater DLP will be about 1,200-1,500 lumens. That's plenty. LCD can get 25%+ brighter, but that's still plenty.

Stop talking about 'living room' lighting. These are projectors. No theater you walk into will have big windows streaming in sunlight. They have NO windows. They turn the lights off. They use dark furniture. It's a completely different discussion when you compare a living room setup vs. a home theater setup. Lights kill what front projection does and the contrast ratio of 1,000:1+ will drop to 50:1 or less very quickly.

But, your comment about worrying about watching sports with some lights on is a good question. It, of course, has nothing to do with your projector and EVERYTHING to do with how you light the room. I have an example of how to properly light your room:
http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

Don't screw up your lighting and you can use a relatively dim projector and still have excellent results. Directional lighting that is away from the screen will keep the on-screen image looking excellent. But, any lighting that falls on the screen from wall sconces or ceiling flood lights is not the right way to do things while the projector is on, and it is something that is in your control.

As to size: If you are ceiling mounting, it just doesn't matter. All the top-shelf projectors are large... why is that? It is because larger projectors offer better cooling systems with less noise and it allows for a better optical system with more lens shift and better lenses to be in place. So, almost all large projectors will be quieter than their smaller counterparts. This allows them to run cooler overall as well which can help the electronics to last longer. The lens system is pretty straightforward as you will find that Sony, JVC, and Epson in their larger models all have MUCH more lens shift and zoom range than the cheaper and smaller DLP models. Larger size is good. Sure, it may not work for someone who wants a quick and dirty on the table setup, but for those installing from a ceiling, or a planned setup, it's just a non-issue.

All of this kind of dismisses the JVC and Sony projectors which use LCoS technology. LCoS tends to be dimmer than LCD. Similar to most DLP models around 1,400 lumens or so. But, the contrast is much higher than what LCD or DLP can deliver with the same high color saturation of LCD. It's just more expensive to get into LCoS.

A dedicated home theater deserves a very high quality projector. The Epson 4010 is a decent one. For the money it is solid. But, it's entry level 4K. Lower mid-level at best. If I was buying and that's all the money I had, then I would get the Epson for a dedicated theater due to the lens shift, brightness, and solid contrast. But, I would more likely get a used JVC RS420 or RS440. It would give me better contrast and higher quality for the money. Preferably I would save up for a newer true 4K projector from Sony or JVC.

I don't buy for aesthetics really. I buy to get the greatest performance that I can for the space I have. Sometimes this forces my hand, but when I can make the situation my own, I shoot to get what will give me the most I can hope for.

Dark paint, dark carpet, dark walls and ceiling, dark furniture, and a good LCD or LCoS over DLP is the only way to go at this time for best performance. DLP is great for all those just getting into the technology who want something for their living room or have a very tight budget.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
DLP vs. LCD is a long debate. In a nutshell, DLP has simply been pounded by LCD at the mid-range level. There are few DLP projectors with decent lenses that allow for long zoom range and reasonable lens shift. The other issue, especially with the newest DLP models, is that their contrast is weak. The newest DLP chips have lower contrast than the 1080p chips they had before. So, higher resolution, but lower contrast. That's a big tradeoff for anyone in a good room.
But, at the lower end, DLP tends to outperform LCD, and you can't touch the price for 4K resolution models. DLP is a good deal less money.
LCD has no chance of rainbow effect (RBE) which is good. Their colors are typically excellent and considered to have better saturation, but this is very close these days.
This has to do with color brightness and there is a lot written up about color brightness vs. rated brightness. For example, that 3,200 lumen Optoma, once calibrated for decent color is likely to only deliver about 1,000 lumens of calibration brightness. In comparison, the Epson may deliver 1,400+ lumens, and can reach beyond 2,000 lumens while still maintaining excellent color. The Optoma simply can't. This is all about color wheels and color wheel speeds and marketing.
Have NO doubt that when a DLP projector talks about 3,000+ lumens, they are using MARKETING, not actual performance on that number. A good home theater DLP will be about 1,200-1,500 lumens. That's plenty. LCD can get 25%+ brighter, but that's still plenty.

Stop talking about 'living room' lighting. These are projectors. No theater you walk into will have big windows streaming in sunlight. They have NO windows. They turn the lights off. They use dark furniture. It's a completely different discussion when you compare a living room setup vs. a home theater setup. Lights kill what front projection does and the contrast ratio of 1,000:1+ will drop to 50:1 or less very quickly.

But, your comment about worrying about watching sports with some lights on is a good question. It, of course, has nothing to do with your projector and EVERYTHING to do with how you light the room. I have an example of how to properly light your room:

Don't screw up your lighting and you can use a relatively dim projector and still have excellent results. Directional lighting that is away from the screen will keep the on-screen image looking excellent. But, any lighting that falls on the screen from wall sconces or ceiling flood lights is not the right way to do things while the projector is on, and it is something that is in your control.

As to size: If you are ceiling mounting, it just doesn't matter. All the top-shelf projectors are large... why is that? It is because larger projectors offer better cooling systems with less noise and it allows for a better optical system with more lens shift and better lenses to be in place. So, almost all large projectors will be quieter than their smaller counterparts. This allows them to run cooler overall as well which can help the electronics to last longer. The lens system is pretty straightforward as you will find that Sony, JVC, and Epson in their larger models all have MUCH more lens shift and zoom range than the cheaper and smaller DLP models. Larger size is good. Sure, it may not work for someone who wants a quick and dirty on the table setup, but for those installing from a ceiling, or a planned setup, it's just a non-issue.

All of this kind of dismisses the JVC and Sony projectors which use LCoS technology. LCoS tends to be dimmer than LCD. Similar to most DLP models around 1,400 lumens or so. But, the contrast is much higher than what LCD or DLP can deliver with the same high color saturation of LCD. It's just more expensive to get into LCoS.

A dedicated home theater deserves a very high quality projector. The Epson 4010 is a decent one. For the money it is solid. But, it's entry level 4K. Lower mid-level at best. If I was buying and that's all the money I had, then I would get the Epson for a dedicated theater due to the lens shift, brightness, and solid contrast. But, I would more likely get a used JVC RS420 or RS440. It would give me better contrast and higher quality for the money. Preferably I would save up for a newer true 4K projector from Sony or JVC.

I don't buy for aesthetics really. I buy to get the greatest performance that I can for the space I have. Sometimes this forces my hand, but when I can make the situation my own, I shoot to get what will give me the most I can hope for.

Dark paint, dark carpet, dark walls and ceiling, dark furniture, and a good LCD or LCoS over DLP is the only way to go at this time for best performance. DLP is great for all those just getting into the technology who want something for their living room or have a very tight budget.
Appreciate all the info man. I only ask about the light cuz we have people over plenty and I don’t watch tv or sports totally darkened out. Yes, I can control my lighting in my viewing area but rest of basement I can’t and I also have black curtains for viewing area.

I’m not thrilled with the size of the epson but if that’s what it takes to have certain things I’m good with that. Are projectors from jvc n Sony the size of the 4010?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks for all the good info I'm just getting started and the budget approach works great for me in my situation.

But being knew at this I don't have all the experience to give as good as advice as you do. Just my recent experiences.

Appreciate you giving both me and Reckel some good feedback and information

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I’m not thrilled with the size of the epson but if that’s what it takes to have certain things I’m good with that. Are projectors from jvc n Sony the size of the 4010?
Yes. It is only the cheap models without lens shift or with almost no lens shift and with higher noise levels which have smaller size. My w1070 is a quarter (or less) the size of the Epson or a Sony/JVC, but it is noisier, has almost no zoom, and has almost no lens shift. A good deal for the money, but not a phenomenal image for a good home theater setup. Just a nice solid entry level image.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. It is only the cheap models without lens shift or with almost no lens shift and with higher noise levels which have smaller size. My w1070 is a quarter (or less) the size of the Epson or a Sony/JVC, but it is noisier, has almost no zoom, and has almost no lens shift. A good deal for the money, but not a phenomenal image for a good home theater setup. Just a nice solid entry level image.
You know that optoma I own fits that bill exactly and I just have to say I'm super impressed with what I can get for the money I spent. If what I'm able to get for the compromises of doing a budget setup in my living room is this good I can only imagine what a complete well done dedicated room with a higher end projector can pull off.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Question a curiosity. Do you think higher quality units will always need to be so large or will technology advance someday to where they can be much smaller?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Question a curiosity. Do you think higher quality units will always need to be so large or will technology advance someday to where they can be much smaller?
In the near future, that is over the next 5-10 years, I don't expect much projector shrinkage. The better DLP, LCD, and LCoS chips are larger in size. This requires larger optics to properly pass light through them. Camera lenses over the last 100 years have really remained, at a base level, the same. Tons of improvements, but you can't get past the physics. To pass lots of light, you need lots of lens. So, that will always be a factor. Lens shift similarly needs lots of space to operate.

The last two items are light output and cooling. Cooling requires fans and fans generate noise. So, a larger chassis allows for a lot more baffling and noise isolation of the cooling system. It allows for larger fans which run slower and move more air. This is huge in a home theater where you want good light output, but don't want the noise. Then there are heat sinks and other pieces to help keep things cool inside the projector that all add weight and cost money and add to the size. But, a bright lamp needs the cooling. And, until they develop a light engine that is markedly cooler than the current crop, we will need good cooling for them.

Laser is for sure the future, but LED may not be. The best LED projectors are still coming in well under 1,000 lumens for most models. They also tend to be housed in noisy little whiny projectors, which sucks for consumers. But, for those in a dark room with a 100" or so screen, there are some incredibly good 1080p projectors on the market that deliver a good entry level image. XGimi, for example, with their H1 (now H2), can give you a 100" to 120" diagonal in a dark room. It has internal Netflix and better than average speakers built in. It's relatively small, and relatively quiet. It's LED driven is the main point. So, for some, it's an ideal home theater model. I give it a huge knock for the weird shape and the lack of a infrared remote that allows you to use it with a standard universal remote. It also has higher than typical lag times which isn't good for gamers. Still, for movie and sports viewers who want a 'forever' portable projector it's a great choice. But, then we get the $3,000ish laser Optoma UHZ65 4K projector which can get brighter than most with a good image. Ideal for larger screens. But, I'm not sure it has much lens shift or zoom. So you are paying a premium for the light engine, not much else.

When we see the laser/led light engine deliver 1,500+ real world lumens after calibration, along with a price point that gives us sub $1,500 projectors, we will really see a market shift. But, only if manufacturers embrace the technology. I'm kind of surprised Casio hasn't marketed their bright laser/led hybrid technology to more major players or others haven't adopted it more, but I think they may get weak color saturation from their models, which is no good for the home theater crowd.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Thanks for all the great info here. I am actually thinking of moving my time frame, originally I was about 18 months out but I think I want to do this in the spring. BMXTRIX what do you think of the JVC DLA-NX5 and the Sony VPL-VW295ES in regards to value? Is there a better time of year to upgrade? Is there a projector that you prefer in this price range? Also any recommendations on screen? This is a dedicated theater so no need to ever retract it. The projector will be mounted on an 8ft ceiling center screen. Viewing distance will be 12 to 13ft. What size screen would you go with considering these projectors? Sorry for the deluge of questions but If I am going to spend this kind of money I want to do it right. Thanks!

R

Ras777

Audioholic
My apologies I just realized that these questions were already addressed in a previous post. Sorry, it's been several weeks since I looked thru this thread. I should have read thru all posts. Thanks again for all the invaluable information.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My apologies I just realized that these questions were already addressed in a previous post. Sorry, it's been several weeks since I looked thru this thread. I should have read thru all posts. Thanks again for all the invaluable information.
Dude I do the same thing sometimes it's hard to keep up with everything all the time!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Ask the same questions again in a couple of week. Watch me type out another long-a$$ response for you.

I jump through several forums and answer these types of questions day after day. I have no clue what all I've answer or for who and I never look back at my old posts. Sometimes I jump in when I have information to add on other forums, but sometimes the members there are doing a good job. (as always... IMO)

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Bmx what’s up. I haven’t been on here in awhile but have some questions for you. I don’t remember if I told you before that I have two rows of seats. First row is 9ft from tv and back row is 13ft, would 92 or 100in screen be to close for first row? Would I be wasting my time buying a projector and a screen at those sizes? I say those sizes because I have a soffit that covers duct work on the right hand side of my wall and I can’t get a bigger screen in there. I haven’t looked at projectors in awhile because I’ve had to pay for a driveway n gutters but have jvc’s dropped in price at all?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Standard screen size is about 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, while it would be common to see 130" to 150" or so from 13' away, at 9' a 92" to 110" screen would be a common size. So, at 100" you will be pretty happy at 9' away I would expect.

JVC pricing rarely drops. I think the only drop I ever saw was when they discontinued the RS440/X590 model and they did a great price drop for the five seconds that they were still available. Then they were gone. I think the best deal going right now may be the Epson 5040, which is completely discontinued in favor of the new 5050 model. There are certain drawbacks to the 5040, but it is worlds better than anything I'm aware of near the price point.

Not sure if your room would support a 2.35 screen. That is, if you are fighting height, not width, you could go wider in the room and use a 2.35 screen with a projector like the JVC or Epson you could possibly zoom out/in using the motorized lens presets and get the image on screen the way you want it if you wanted to go a bit wider.

I rarely suggest 2.35, but with the right room it can make a lot of sense. Maybe post a photo or two of the room. I haven't looked back through the thread to catch up.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Standard screen size is about 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, while it would be common to see 130" to 150" or so from 13' away, at 9' a 92" to 110" screen would be a common size. So, at 100" you will be pretty happy at 9' away I would expect.

JVC pricing rarely drops. I think the only drop I ever saw was when they discontinued the RS440/X590 model and they did a great price drop for the five seconds that they were still available. Then they were gone. I think the best deal going right now may be the Epson 5040, which is completely discontinued in favor of the new 5050 model. There are certain drawbacks to the 5040, but it is worlds better than anything I'm aware of near the price point.

Not sure if your room would support a 2.35 screen. That is, if you are fighting height, not width, you could go wider in the room and use a 2.35 screen with a projector like the JVC or Epson you could possibly zoom out/in using the motorized lens presets and get the image on screen the way you want it if you wanted to go a bit wider.

I rarely suggest 2.35, but with the right room it can make a lot of sense. Maybe post a photo or two of the room. I haven't looked back through the thread to catch up.
Thx for responding. I don’t know how to get the fricking pics on here man otherwise I would. I have about an 8ft wide area where my tv is now and that’s where the screen would also go. I thought about 2.35 but that dam soffit actually angles down rather than being straight and it blocks me from going wide, it’s whoever built the thing before we moved in. 100in is as big as I could go, I’ve measured it. 2.35 is the way I would go if it wasn’t angled down like that

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis