What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Couldn't say no to nearly $200 Sennheiser HD600 deal. (after Harmony code and Prime CC money back).
Should be at my place later today

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
just got Monoprice m1060c headphones, will be my first headphones.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Figured to try the Jamo S803 speakers. A friend bought a pair and what little time I got to hear them, they sounded pretty potent for their size. It made me do a double take. He got the walnut ones and I ordered this quirkier looking pair.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Figured to try the Jamo S803 speakers. A friend bought a pair and what little time I got to hear them, they sounded pretty potent for their size. It made me do a double take. He got the walnut ones and I ordered this quirkier looking pair.

Jamo's new stuff looks really nice! I've always appreciated their designs.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Bought a pair of Amazon Basics RCA interconnects between the AVR - turntable pre-amp and turntable. For a cleaner look.

IMG_1788.JPG

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad that this brand is owned by Audiovox :(
It's kind of unavoidable now. Is like trying to avoid things manufactured in China. All one can really hope for is that the essence of the brand is still in there somewhere. Since everything manufactured now is covered by computers, may as well just flip a coin.

In this price range ($200 and under), it's not as if I am being fooled or led by a brand name. I just heard this particular speaker and it sounded killer in his room, which is similar to my listening room. I don't know. I tend to group all of this stuff in with the likes of Sony etc.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's kind of unavoidable now. Is like trying to avoid things manufactured in China. All one can really hope for is that the essence of the brand is still in there somewhere. Since everything manufactured now is covered by computers, may as well just flip a coin.

In this price range ($200 and under), it's not as if I am being fooled or led by a brand name. I just heard this particular speaker and it sounded killer in his room, which is similar to my listening room. I don't know. I tend to group all of this stuff in with the likes of Sony etc.
I see your point, but based on Audiovox history of running solid brands into the ground by producing crap under the same name.
Well, the difference is between (likely) crappy (cheap) manufacturing and crappy (cheap) design.
Prior you take a gamble with quality, while later it's a bit less

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I see your point, but based on Audiovox history of running solid brands into the ground by producing crap under the same name.
Well, the difference is between (likely) crappy (cheap) manufacturing and crappy (cheap) design.
I agree with you, and it's been a condition of just about every quality product in my life time. On the other hand, Jamo was already at their end, had hired a hatchet man, IIRC, and moved production to China. Nothing in tech/manufacturing really excites/surprises me anymore. Especially that which follows that same, oh-too-predictable path.

I try to offset this a bit via DIY. Since I am hands-on and somewhat connected in industry, I can exact a decent, practical, and repetitive long term quality with it. That's really the only way a working stiff like me wins at this game.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I certainly agree that is what happened with Energy and Mirage!
However, I have not heard much in the way of Klipsch fan boys complaining about this happening to Klipsch.
I felt like the RP series introduced a couple of years ago was an excellent improvement to the Reference series and wonder if Audiovox is allowing Klipsch to continue down the path they were on before Audiovox bought them. Klipsch has also introduced powered bluetooth speakers like the powered bluetooth floorstander R-28PF
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-28pf-powered-floorstanding-speakers.
I consider this a innovative product because not only is it a departure from the normal BT speaker, but it allows you to connect a sub and provides bass management, such that the speakers get a high-pass filter at 80Hz IIRC, the output to the sub is low-passed at 80Hz and you get a remote control that has sub level control! Also has a phono pre-amp built into the master speaker to be more of a "one size fits all" product! Even though the amp is all on one side, this is an active version of the passive R-28F as witnessed by the four conductor cable that runs to the other speaker.

I have no idea why Audiovox treated Mirage/Energy so differently from Klipsch. It seems like Mirage is completely gone and I believe that the only product Energy is still manufacturing is the Energy Take satellite/sub system. I suspect there really is no Energy anymore, just orders being sent from Audiovox to the Chinese company that manufactured for Energy (as they milk the last profits out of them)!

I have no idea how Audiovox is treating Jamo, I just wanted to point out that Audiovox isn't running everything they buy into the ground.

OTOH, maybe it was Klipsch that bought Mirage & Energy, and Audiovox let Klipsch make the call to gut Mirage and Energy!

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I certainly agree that is what happened with Energy and Mirage!
However, I have not heard much in the way of Klipsch fan boys complaining about this happening to Klipsch.
I felt like the RP series introduced a couple of years ago was an excellent improvement to the Reference series and wonder if Audiovox is allowing Klipsch to continue down the path they were on before Audiovox bought them. Klipsch has also introduced powered bluetooth speakers like the powered bluetooth floorstander R-28PF
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-28pf-powered-floorstanding-speakers.
I consider this a innovative product because not only is it a departure from the normal BT speaker, but it allows you to connect a sub and provides bass management, such that the speakers get a high-pass filter at 80Hz IIRC, the output to the sub is low-passed at 80Hz and you get a remote control that has sub level control! Also has a phono pre-amp built into the master speaker to be more of a "one size fits all" product! Even though the amp is all on one side, this is an active version of the passive R-28F as witnessed by the four conductor cable that runs to the other speaker.

I have no idea why Audiovox treated Mirage/Energy so differently from Klipsch. It seems like Mirage is completely gone and I believe that the only product Energy is still manufacturing is the Energy Take satellite/sub system. I suspect there really is no Energy anymore, just orders being sent from Audiovox to the Chinese company that manufactured for Energy (as they milk the last profits out of them)!

I have no idea how Audiovox is treating Jamo, I just wanted to point out that Audiovox isn't running everything they buy into the ground.

OTOH, maybe it was Klipsch that bought Mirage & Energy, and Audiovox let Klipsch make the call to gut Mirage and Energy!
Seems the same way Harman treats JBL? Everything you touch of any significance these days seems to be under some corp-conglomerate blanket of some sort. I bought a $200 pair of JBL active monitors too. I feel kind of the same way about those, even after getting them in my hands. A bit too light, sterile finish etc. But, they sound good. Better than they should, really. I feel I have gotten $200 worth of enjoyment out of them already, though.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Got a Benchmade Infidel in the smaller size.
An excellent knife! (OTF I assume?) My older brother's knife collection has one case of Benchmade Knives. The Infidel and the Nimravus are my favorites.

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
An excellent knife! (OTF I assume?) My older brother's knife collection has one case of Benchmade Knives. The Infidel and the Nimravus are my favorites.
Yes it is an OTF. I checked out several other OTF's from Benchmade and several other well known knife makers. I decided on this one due to ergonomics and the grip that it has when held. It is very secure due to the texture of the handle.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought the following

Eric Claptons first compilation album..

and the following new album in red vinyl. I didn't know it was in red vinyl but it was very warped for a new album..

1545068588251.png

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Import box sets have been my thing lately. Most are less than 50.00 and have a ton of stuff I may have never tried before. But at 1.00 to 2.00 bucks a disc it's worth a shot. Plus there is a ton of stuff I have always wanted. I have a few duplicates but not many.

I'm about 10 titles into Miles now. I have maybe 6 more that are on my "must have" from the great trumpeter. Acoustic Jazz in general is maybe 30% of my collection and growing...just picked up Nina Simone...Little Girl Blue", sacd.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Couldn't say no to nearly $200 Sennheiser HD600 deal. (after Harmony code and Prime CC money back).
Should be at my place later today
I ether need to repair my HD201 as the cable/leads are breaking up or get new ones that have those plug ins on the headphones so when the cable/lead should get damage I need only get a new cable/lead.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis