Yamaha RX-A 80 Series Receivers Feature Artificial Intelligence

M

Madmaxz

Audiophyte
Wow. A lot of money to upgrade the flagship model that often. :D

Did you compare 9CH vs Dolby Surround (DSU) vs Neural:X (DTSNX)?
I just sell last years model and upgrade usually get around 1200-1500 for it so upgrading isnt so bad.

I did compare dolby surround and neurel:x a little vs 9ch stereo what i noticed is it really matters what your listning to and how it was recorded/encoded. Some stuff sounds better with dd/dts (dvd, live recorded in 5.1\7.1) some stuff neo:music other 9channel stereo . Dd and dts seemed a little hot on the center channel to me for most music what i liked about 9ch stereo is it sounded more like 2 channel with good surround fill that works very well for 2 ch recordings making it feel more eveloping (like your there) especially for for newer high quality live recordings which are what ive been listing to alot lately. The quality of Concert recording is getting amazing both audio and visual.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just sell last years model and upgrade usually get around 1200-1500 for it so upgrading isnt so bad.

I did compare dolby surround and neurel:x a little vs 9ch stereo what i noticed is it really matters what your listning to and how it was recorded/encoded. Some stuff sounds better with dd/dts (dvd, live recorded in 5.1\7.1) some stuff neo:music other 9channel stereo . Dd and dts seemed a little hot on the center channel to me for most music what i liked about 9ch stereo is it sounded more like 2 channel With with good surround fill that works very well for 2 ch recordings making it feel more eveloping (like your there) especially for for newer high quality live recordings which are what ive been listing to alot lately. The quality of Concert recording is getting amazing both audio and visual.
Living the dream. :D

Yeah, it does seem DSU and DTSNX provide more center-speaker presence. For vocals, it seems like the movies or SACD music where the vocal is mainly in the center speaker.

For me, MCH Stereo seems to have its place in instrumental music (no vocals).

Bottom line is, I agree with you that now, more than ever, MCH Stereo, DSU, and DTSNX sound pretty darn great for both music and movies.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have had the 3050, 3060 , 3070 , and now the 3080 in the same room / setup. What i have noticed the most is every model year ypao does a better job with the auto configuration , i dont know what exacly they are doing differnet but every model has sounded pretty significantly better specificly the bass management and overall surround cohesiveness another thing i noticed going from 3060 to 3070 then 80 i was never a huge 9 channel listener with music mostly 2 ch stereo but 9ch stereo on the 3080 sounds really pretty damn good to me. Especially with good quality live recordings specifically lossless stuff from nugs.netView attachment 26154
I was hoping to hear you thought the 3060 was the best of those. :). I have the 2060. :). I think I won’t upgrade until 3090 or whenever hdmi 2.1 is ready. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was hoping to hear you thought the 3060 was the best of those. :). I have the 2060. :). I think I won’t upgrade until 3090 or whenever hdmi 2.1 is ready. :)
Why not just wait until you actually buy an 8K/Dynamic-HDR TV? :D

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I went from a 1050 to a 3080 and I am NOT impressed at all.

M

Madmaxz

Audiophyte
Interesting my experiance has been the opposite. i still use a rxa-2050 in my bedroom and have used it in my living room as well
The differences are subtle but noticable in surround use and base managment

Ypao always sets the subwoofers too low for me i crank them up

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to start a Yamaha RX-A1080, 2080, and 3080 Thread since PENG started a Denon X3500/X4500 Thread, but it looks like this thread is already the "official" thread for these Yamaha models. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I went from a 1050 to a 3080 and I am NOT impressed at all.
Hey Roger, :confused: give it some more time Brother,
From all the others who have that unit they like it a lot. I’ve been reading a lot of other reviews they seem to like a lot of the features. Wishing you the best with your unit.

Mike

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Maybe it’s me or just my unit but I stick by my opinion of this $2000 white elephant. If I could find a 4400 or 6400 Denon at a good price.....anyone want to buy a RX A3080 (it’s hardly used)? Be a nice paper weight or door stop.

Last edited:
T

TeckTrek

Audiophyte
I am looking forward to the team's in depth review and report on the new Surround AI feature. I understand it is"subjective" but it's the only feature that drives my interest in buying one of the new Avantage models and having input from some professional ears and experienced users would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any credible AI reviews to date, TIA for pointing me their way.

P

paveldeg

Enthusiast
Maybe it’s me or just my unit but I stick by my opinion of this $2000 white elephant. If I could find a 4400 or 6400 Denon at a good price.....anyone want to buy a RX A3080 (it’s hardly used)? Be a nice paper weight or door stop.
4400 plainly sucks, overly bright/harsh, cannot even drive speakers properly, started clipping at -13Db. 6400 much better (likely beceaus emade in Japan), but network functions poorly implemented (drops, cannot play large files) and gets hot as a space heater - undersized sinks = premature death.

P

paveldeg

Enthusiast
I am looking forward to the team's in depth review and report on the new Surround AI feature. I understand it is"subjective" but it's the only feature that drives my interest in buying one of the new Avantage models and having input from some professional ears and experienced users would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any credible AI reviews to date, TIA for pointing me their way.
For some movies AI works fine, dialogue lift is especially useful and works well. In some movies I noticed AI may cause weaker bass (or illusion of it). I wouldn't buy x80 series just for AI.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For some movies AI works fine, dialogue lift is especially useful and works well. In some movies I noticed AI may cause weaker bass (or illusion of it). I wouldn't buy x80 series just for AI.
Interesting. So AI may decrease the Bass/Subwoofer levels to make dialogue more intelligible or clearer? That's not cool. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Whatever you do, if you decide to try a Denon or Sony ES, make sure it's from a local Best Buy or Amazon Prime where you can return within 30 days. WiFi/Network functions may not be so great with many components.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Dialogue lift isn’t specific to 2018 models with AI.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Whatever you do, if you decide to try a Denon or Sony ES, make sure it's from a local Best Buy or Amazon Prime where you can return within 30 days. WiFi/Network functions may not be so great with many components.

I’ll try not to make the same mistake again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis