Yamaha RX-A 80 Series Receivers Feature Artificial Intelligence

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
They clearly have no desire to compete with Denon/Marantz. Falling behind this year by still forcing you buy an additional amp to get all your channels.
Separates are better anyway. I have a Denon AVR x3300w and have slowly but surely moved my channels off of the built in amp to more capable external amplification.

I actually wish I could buy a HT surround decoder without an amp, at a more reasonable price. It never made sense to me that my Denon AVR x3300w cost me about $700, but if I want an equivalent Marantz unit that is essentially the same model, but without the amps, the price goes up to almost $2k.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Personally I think nine amp channels in one box is plenty. I might start to feel a little uncomfortable about 11 channels crammed into one box with that includes, video and audio processing, networking, etc, etc. (But that's just me. Others may have no issues with it) There are plenty of reasonable amps you can add to expand your system. Crown and audio source to name a couple.
I agree with you on the cramming of chassis. For external amps, I would recommend QSC and Crown, but definitely not Audio Source.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Separates are better anyway. I have a Denon AVR x3300w and have slowly but surely moved my channels off of the built in amp to more capable external amplification.

I actually wish I could buy a HT surround decoder without an amp, at a more reasonable price. It never made sense to me that my Denon AVR x3300w cost me about $700, but if I want an equivalent Marantz unit that is essentially the same model, but without the amps, the price goes up to almost $2k.
The price of pre-pros has to do with the percentage sold in comparison with the number of AVRs sold. It's economy of scale that makes us benefit of good prices on AVRs.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I agree with you on the cramming of chassis. For external amps, I would recommend QSC and Crown, but definitely not Audio Source.
Good to know on audio source - I don't have any experience with them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha RX-A3080
Amplifier Section
Channel 9.2
Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz- 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2-ch driven) 150 W
Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 2-ch driven) 165 W
Maximum Effective Output Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1-ch driven) (JEITA) 230 W
Dynamic Power per Channel (8 / 6 / 4 / 2 ohms) 175 / 220 / 295 / 410 W

Standby Power Consumption (IR only) ≤ 0.1 W
Auto Power Standby Yes
ECO Mode Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D) 17-1/8” x 7-1/2” x 18-5/8”, (with antenna up: 17-1/8” x 10-5/8” x 18-5/8”)
Weight 39.9 lbs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that so they can go HDMI 2.1 ?
I hope so, but I would say probably not because the RX-A3080, which will probably be out close to Oct-Nov, doesn't show any signs of having HDMI 2.1.

On the product info of the A3080, it just says "Latest HDMI", but no version number anywhere that I could find.

I asked the Yamaha rep the other day about HDMI 2.1, and even he wasn't too certain. He also said, "latest HDMI", but he wasn't certain of the version number (2.1).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I hope so, but I would say probably not because the RX-A3080, which will probably be out close to Oct-Nov, doesn't show any signs of having HDMI 2.1.

On the product info of the A3080, it just says "Latest HDMI", but no version number anywhere that I could find.

I asked the Yamaha rep the other day about HDMI 2.1, and even he wasn't too certain. He also said, "latest HDMI", but he wasn't certain of the version number (2.1).
I’m not planning to replace my 2060 anytime soon. :). Just curious when the 3000 or 5000 series go HDMI 2.1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m not planning to replace my 2060 anytime soon. :). Just curious when the 3000 or 5000 series go HDMI 2.1.
I think a lot of people are already looking to 8K resolution, so HDMI 2.1 seems to be important. I'm still 100% content with 1080p. :D

However, I have not heard of any brands bragging about HDMI 2.1 yet.

Since Yamaha does more extensive HDMI compatibility testing than any other major brands (Denon, Marantz, etc.), I have the feeling they may have HDMI 2.1 AFTER the other brands have them first.

Even the rep told me yesterday, "Yamaha is usually not the FIRST or quickest to have the latest features because we want to make sure that it works the BEST before we release the products".

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Trying to remember how big the display has to be for 8k to matter. Probably 100 inches or something! LOL :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Trying to remember how big the display has to be for 8k to matter. Probably 100 inches or something! LOL :)
If the screen is 150", you would need to sit 7 ft away to notice the difference between 4K and 1080p.

If the screen is 75", you would need to sit 5 ft away.

I don't know if the same is true for 8K vs 1080p. :D

I have a 150" screen and I sit 18 ft away.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Of course Audio Source would be bad...I only got one for my Atmos channels.

What issues could I have using it just for that?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My AVR shuts down main speakers when I plug in headphones - is this is AI?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Of course Audio Source would be bad...I only got one for my Atmos channels.

What issues could I have using it just for that?
If you haven't notice a problem to date, I don't think you have to worry. But you know that it's performance is somehow limited. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis