The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Too bad these Animusic-HD's are not in Dolby Atmos. :D
That would be awesome! I still think dsu would be amazing too. Even in 7.3, the environments come alive. Especially gyro drums. As the robots move down the line and especially at the bottom of the gyro, it’s amazing to here the tones. Subwoofer NEED apply. I’m wired/ installed for 7.3.4 but still waiting for my avr. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuper painful...
Should be soon.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
So I have finally re-watched all the "not greatly improved" group from page 1 and can pretty much confirm all were very nicely improved.

Mechanic Resurrection did improve, but is still not a standout Atmos
Jason Bourne is a whole lot better all round.
The Mummy plane crash is a lot better, as is the rest of the film
Top of the list though is Jack Reacher Never Go Back. Definitely one to try. The flight
down to New Orleans, the gun battle at the Wharf and the Carnival finale with fireworks. :D

This could be down to a number of reasons not least of which was the original positioning. However 4 for me works a lot better.

Alas that's it for me now, I have watched, re-watched my current collection. :( Hopefully a lot more will turn up soon. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Jason Bourne is a whole lot better all round.
I love the Bourne series so I do have all of them in the DTSX versions.

I haven't re-watched them, but did skimmed through a little.

I thought "Bourne Legacy" sounded pretty good.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hardcore-audio if you have 4 ex-wives and still be into the Atmos 5.1.4 game! :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Yes, Jason Bourne is Dts:X on Bluray, works pretty much the same as Atmos, although there far fewer titles available.

Last night we did 4 with DSU Deadpool 2, Escape plan 2, Catwoman and Bourne Legacy.

Deadpool 2 was good and the overall levels/dynamics for a Marvel release are very good. :eek: I can only assume the UHD Atmos would be better. :) Film is excellent. :D
Escape Plan 2, who knows why this was made other than for the money, sounds ok.:rolleyes:
Catwoman, awful film, but surprising it sounded really quite good upmixed. o_O
Bourne Legacy, pretty much the same as the 7.1 there was some more overhead moments in the mix but I am not sure it was there correctly.

I don't really know anywhere near enough about how it does this. Most of the time it seems to mirror most of the front LR and Back LR surrounds at a lower level. It does create more of a bubble, but it could be counter productive sometimes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw Deadpool 2 in Atmos. I don’t recall the Atmos ceilings speakers being as active as some movies like “Oblivion”, “Gravity”, or “Matrix”.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Last night we did 4 with DSU Deadpool 2, Escape plan 2, Catwoman and Bourne Legacy.
Catwoman, awful film, but surprising it sounded really quite good upmixed. o_O
That’s funny and ironic, but I’ve noticed that too. You don’t expect certain movies to sound that good based on either the genre or quality of the movie. But then the sound hits you and surprise the heck out of you.

And then you expect some movies to have great sound, but they end up disappointing you. :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
So hunting around I found this following article that someone seems to have done some testing of the two up mixer alternatives. Obviously for real technical details we would need someone on the inside but it seems interesting.

https://rantingsofamadaudiophile.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/dtsx-vs-dolby-atmos-part-ii-dolby-surround-vs-dts-neuralx/

Unlike them we are currently able to up mix Dolby to Neural X and Dts to DSU so it could be for certain films one might be the better choice than the other. Of course you would kind of need to know what the content was like first.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So hunting around I found this following article that someone seems to have done some testing of the two up mixer alternatives. Obviously for real technical details we would need someone on the inside but it seems interesting.

https://rantingsofamadaudiophile.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/dtsx-vs-dolby-atmos-part-ii-dolby-surround-vs-dts-neuralx/

Unlike them we are currently able to up mix Dolby to Neural X and Dts to DSU so it could be for certain films one might be the better choice than the other. Of course you would kind of need to know what the content was like first.:)
That's a hot topic - DSU vs DTSNXU (freaking mouthful! :eek:),especially with Dolby now restricting the upmixer.

I have't tested as many movies as you have, but for me I prefer DSU for 2 reasons:

1. I can actually HEAR the surround effects more prominently and center dialogue more clearly with DSU than with DTSNXU, especially for watching TV shows that are in 2CH.

2. I love saying "DSU" because it's so sweet to the point. I hate saying "DTS-freaking-Neural-X" Upmixer! :D Couldn't they just say "DTS Upmixer" and we can call it "DTSU" ? :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That's a hot topic - DSU vs DTSNXU (freaking mouthful! :eek:),especially with Dolby now restricting the upmixer.

I have't tested as many movies as you have, but for me I prefer DSU for 2 reasons:

1. I can actually HEAR the surround effects more prominently and center dialogue more clearly with DSU than with DTSNXU, especially for watching TV shows that are in 2CH.

2. I love saying "DSU" because it's so sweet to the point. I hate saying "DTS-freaking-Neural-X" Upmixer! :D Couldn't they just say "DTS Upmixer" and we can call it "DTSU" ? :D
Dolby, restricted upmix? WTH!! Man! Dem greedy &!@^,,!!’s! Like we don’t pay enough for all the licensing fees!! :mad: ADTG, your very logical sir! ;)

Mike

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I would not be too bothered which to use. The majority of the Blurays I have appear to have the Dts HDMA mix so if it actually worked better Neural X then so be it. Would kind of suggest a reason Dolby wants to prevent any of this cross comparisons. :eek:

Just watched the Force Awakens scene mentioned @~30mins in the article (Dts HDMA). Honestly there is not a world of difference between the two, but if push came to shove I believe the Neural X might have been the better. Just seems to pick out elements a bit better. :)

I will need to try this with a Dolby film. As I say I was surprised by how well the Catwoman worked.:oops:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby, restricted upmix? WTH!! Man! Dem greedy &!@^,,!!’s! Like we don’t pay enough for all the licensing fees!! :mad: ADTG, your very logical sir! ;)

Mike
Well, Dolby just wants everyone to set their Surround Mode to "Dolby Surround" (DSU) and leave it there FOREVER. :D

Now if the sound is already Atmos or DTSX, then that's easy. Just set the surround mode to STRAIGHT.

But I think the big question is, if the sound is in DTS or DTS-HD MA 5.1/7.1, should we use DTSNX (DTS Neural-X) or DSU (Dolby Surround) surround mode?

And if the sound is in DD or TrueHD 5.1/7.1, should we use DSU or DTSNXU ?

With the Dolby restriction, if the sound is in DD or TrueHD or Atmos, we have to use DSU and cannot use DTSNXU.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, Dolby just wants everyone to set their Surround Mode to "Dolby Surround" (DSU) and leave it there FOREVER. :D

Now if the sound is already Atmos or DTSX, then that's easy. Just set the surround mode to STRAIGHT.

But I think the big question is, if the sound is in DTS or DTS-HD MA 5.1/7.1, should we use DTSNX (DTS Neural-X) or DSU (Dolby Surround) surround mode?

And if the sound is in DD or TrueHD 5.1/7.1, should we use DSU or DTSNXU ?
Hmm so if you are watching regular Netflix does DSU or Neural upmixer try to send stuff to the ceilings even with zero metadata? Or does it require the metadata such as in DD+?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would not be too bothered which to use. The majority of the Blurays I have appear to have the Dts HDMA mix so if it actually worked better Neural X then so be it. Would kind of suggest a reason Dolby wants to prevent any of this cross comparisons. :eek:

Just watched the Force Awakens scene mentioned @~30mins in the article (Dts HDMA). Honestly there is not a world of difference between the two, but if push came to shove I believe the Neural X might have been the better. Just seems to pick out elements a bit better. :)

I will need to try this with a Dolby film. As I say I was surprised by how well the Catwoman worked.:oops:
So "SW The Force Awakens" is in DTS-HD MA. And you've looked at that particular scene and compared DSU vs DTSNX?

And DTSNX seems a little better?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis