KEF LS50 tops all of them

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Now that the BMR's can be had for $1450 a set w/the PE cabinets makes me want them even more.

Cheers,

Phil
Just want to make sure there is no confusion.
With the PE cabinets (which I am very happy with), the BMR is $1350. That does not include shipping. Dennis caps shipping at $100 for the BMR's, but you are close enough that it should be less than $100 to your house. So $1450 is the maximum shipped cost.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Honestly, I have never heard any of the KEF speakers. However, I have scoured as many forums that I can to ascertain as much info regarding them. My interests are ONLY with the bookshelf speakers and not towers. Here is what I have garnered from various forums:

1.The Q100's at the current price of ~$230-$250 a set is a great bargain. They are often described as being a bit on the bright side of scale, but very detailed. Likewise, the Q300's have a bigger cabinet/driver and as such offers more low end extension.

2. The Q150's/350's are said to be more "laid-back" when compared to the Q100's/300's. In fact, many feel that the Q150's are very close to the R100's. Again, w/the Q350's having more low end extension due to both the larger cabinet and/or driver.

3. There is a lot of conversation regarding the LS50's. Many claim that the LS50's can at times be a slight bit bright, but still remains extremely smooth and extended. Most seem to mention just how well the cabinet is made as it is a step above in that regard. The low end is a mixed bag in that some are happy w/it whereas most prefer to use a sub.

4. The R300's are a 3-way design and are said to be very laid-back and buttery smooth on the top end. The cabinets are large and heavy and do require good stands. Given that the R300's can be had now for ~$1100 a set albeit B-stocks (@Acc4Less) makes them much more attractive to many.

Now that the BMR's can be had for $1450 a set w/the PE cabinets makes me want them even more. However, due to budget constraints I may have to opt for something a little more affordable. That is why KEF is, and has been, on my radar for a good while now. Just not able to spend any money right now. Not complaining about the price of the BMR's as they are a tremendous bargain. Nothing is doing to best them under $3K that I am aware of. Moreover, we are lucky that Dennis is here to share his passion and not make a fortune doing so.

In closing, KEF is a serious contender in my book and for my needs. But, I am also looking very closely at Dyn Audio albeit the Emit M10's/M20's to be exact. Have also seen the Wharfedale Reva 2's for only $550 shipped brand new! Given as much as I loved both my Diamond 220's/Dentons, the Reva 2's are so very tempting. Would prefer to just opt for the BMR's, but it may be a good while before I can do anything. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
Not sure what you’re looking for in a speaker but in that budget is the tremendous value and performance of the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
With the PE cabinets (which I am very happy with), the BMR is $1350. That does not include shipping. Dennis caps shipping at $100 for the BMR's, but you are close enough that it should be less than $100 to your house. So $1450 is the maximum shipped cost.
Yeah, I am aware of the $100 cap on shipping the BMR's. Even at $1450 a set shipped, they are still a tremendous bargain. Just figured my shipping cost would be closer to the $100 as the BMR's are a bit heavy as well. That is why I mentioned $1450 a set. Not aware of anything better under $3K. If there is, I certainly want to know.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure what you’re looking for in a speaker but in that budget is the tremendous value and performance of the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1.
Yeah, I am aware of the S-1's. But, in that price range there are other contenders that interests me a bit more. That mainly being the Dyn Audio Emit M10's or the Wharfedale Reva 2's. Have seen the LS50 B-stocks @Acc4Less for $900. Not to mention, the Dyn Audio Emit M20's would not be much more. As such, the S-1's are not under consideration at this time. That,of course, could change once I get to the point of pulling the trigger so to speak. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The upper end of the graph is very close. I can assume the R700 would sound really close to the LS50's top end.
It really is the lower frequencies you should be concerned about if accuracy is important to you. Take a look of the REW plots below and tell me if you think you can/can't hear the difference between the two. The thing is, if you can't, then you should never have to worry about the difference between good amps such as yours.

No smoothing applied!! The Marantz AV8801 didn't do as well (very slight difference if the App is not used) as the AVR-X3400H that I had there for a couple of weeks, but it still managed to improve things between 15-300 Hz. With the App, I would be able to reduce the bumps further, but unfortunately the App does not apply to the older AVP.

LS50 - Audyssey Ref vs Off with E15HP.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I just want to say that I really appreciate all the positive comments about the KEF and their later editions of the Uni-Q driver. Each one, in each speaker is built differently or at least crossed over differently and as such have differing response.

On my desktop in my office as true near-field speakers and so perfectly integrated with a good sub, the LS50's treat me to new things every time I listen to them. I feel much the same way killdozer does about his, these are never going anywhere.

In my living room the R500's do their job equally well, in a very different setting. There, I'm sitting much further away and the speakers have 17" of space from the back of them to the rear boundary wall. When I pull up a seat about 7 feet from them and right in the middle, they are the equal to my LS50's. The sound no longer emits from the speaker boxes, but is just a created soundstage that extends beyond the boxes in width, behind the boxes in depth, and in between the boxes in the central soundstage. I often use "analog bypass" mode and omit using the subwoofer, and that is when I get the most incredible performance from them.

It's fun, and VERY satisfying.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, I have often wondered how the BMR's ship. That is, in one larger single box -OR- (2) smaller boxes holding a single unit? Always forget to ask that. Figured you would know. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, I have often wondered how the BMR's ship. That is, in one larger single box -OR- (2) smaller boxes holding a single unit? Always forget to ask that. Figured you would know. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
In two smaller boxes. The cabinets ship from PE in individual boxes and Dennis supplements that package with additional packing materials to manage the over 30 pounds each for the completed speakers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In two smaller boxes. The cabinets ship from PE in individual boxes and Dennis supplements that package with additional packing materials to manage the over 30 pounds each for the completed speakers.
Kind of figured that. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Even money says you'd find something wrong with those too ;) Sorry couldn't resist
For those who don't believe in room eq, deeper base response does not mean better response. It is a hit or miss scenario, the bigger the speakers the more the "miss" though some people seem immuned...@adtg comes to mind

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How do the BMRs compare to some of the other bookshelf speakers in your collection?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
For those who don't believe in room eq, deeper base response does not mean better response. It is a hit or miss scenario, the bigger the speakers the more the "miss" though some people seem immuned...@adtg comes to mind
Completely agree. I have gone back and forth between "Natural" (YPAO) and "Through" (No room Eq). And in my room with my speakers, "Natural" with YPAO wins every time. It's not even close.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Completely agree. I have gone back and forth between "Natural" (YPAO) and "Through" (No room Eq). And in my room with my speakers, "Natural" with YPAO wins every time. It's not even close.
I think in many cases, people prefer heavier but not necessarily accurate bass to smooth and more accurate bass. So in some setups, I can see why they may prefer no room eq to even the best room eq that is supposed to smooth/flatten the bass in the 10-80 Hz range. Looks like you and I are in the group that prefer more accurate (relatively speaking) bass response.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I think in many cases, people prefer heavier but not necessarily accurate bass to smooth and more accurate bass. So in some setups, I can see why they may prefer no room eq to even the best room eq that is supposed to smooth/flatten the bass in the 10-80 Hz range. Looks like you and I are in the group that prefer more accurate (relatively speaking) bass response.
Yeah your right relatively speaking, I think we prefer a more accurate bass. Bass is not necessarily a strong suit of my speakers. I roll them off at 60hz and it works pretty good. I like the rythmik sub to fill in the rest. Although sometimes I wish for a bit tighter bass. Maybe that's more a characteristic of the speaker, then room eq. Ypao doesn't touch bass of course.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Even money says you'd find something wrong with those too ;) Sorry couldn't resist
Hey.... Aren't we raised to find the faults in everything...

In all honesty... I was given advise more than one time about trying to achieve results out of just a tower alone in my room. I'm stubborn.. I went back and read some post from the last year and read that many forum members here and elsewhere said you will achieve a much better result when you use a sub/speaker combo VS a stand alone tower. Live and learn the hardway..
So I was able to get my desired sound from the Kef LS50/SVS sub combo. My only trouble. I think I can do better if I could blend the sub a little more. I also noticed after using an SPL meter this week end that anything higher than 88db, the LS50 seem to struggle a touch. I trimmed them at 80hz as well..

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey.... Aren't we raised to find the faults in everything...

In all honesty... I was given advise more than one time about trying to achieve results out of just a tower alone in my room. I'm stubborn.. I went back and read some post from the last year and read that many forum members here and elsewhere said you will achieve a much better result when you use a sub/speaker combo VS a stand alone tower. Live and learn the hardway..
So I was able to get my desired sound from the Kef LS50/SVS sub combo. My only trouble. I think I can do better if I could blend the sub a little more. I also noticed after using an SPL meter this week end that anything higher than 88db, the LS50 seem to struggle a touch. I trimmed them at 80hz as well..
This is the excuse I’m going for to justify a 2nd sub. I can then use bookshelves rather than towers. But knowing me, I’ll end up with dual subs plus towers.... LOL :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
This is the excuse I’m going for to justify a 2nd sub. I can then use bookshelves rather than towers. But knowing me, I’ll end up with dual subs plus towers.... LOL :)
Why not..... It's all good..

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How do the BMRs compare to some of the other bookshelf speakers in your collection?
I have a sense of that, but would want to do some specific comparisons before making formal statements.
Generally speaking, they are probably the most neutral speakers I have heard.
They are probably the most full range bookshelf speakers I have heard.
I say "probably" because I have not directly compared them to my other bookshelf speakers.
The incredible dispersion is the hallmark of their character.
But I will see if I can do a comparison a week (will start another thread).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis