KEF LS50 tops all of them

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I much prefer a smooth laid-back type of speaker that still offers lots of detail. Being warmer in the mids is also what I look for. Brighter speakers tend to give me listening fatigue rather quickly. Especially, if they are also a bit forward. The KEF R Series is said to be much more laid-back than the Q Series. That is why I am very curious about the KEF R300's. Dyn Audio has also recently piqued my interests. Thanks for the insights!

Cheers,

Phil
That sounds a lot like RBH to my experience with the R-61lse!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. Never read anything bad about RBH. Thanks for the info. Will take a closer look at the R-61 SE's. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually it makes me really curious about the R700 line since I love the LS50 so much. I really want to keep the Dynaudio however as it's the only full size I have. The local dealer I got them from does not carry Kef... So I couldn't return them for a trial with the R series.. So I am undecided what I want to do with them right now.
IMO All the towers with passive bass will not do much better than the Dynaudio tower or any Tower with passive bass.

How many towers have you already listened to? :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I keep wondering if dual subs would help your situation since it’s the low end that is the worry. Sorry if you already tried that. I know SVS does the trial periods.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you scan through data bass, you will find several subs which produce good clean sound up to 250-300Hz. You can use dual subs in stereo and locate them close to the speakers, so the location of the subs does not contradict the mains.
I would think this higher roll-off point would emulate the sound of a full-range tower, if you are feeling the bass in the 100-200Hz range is left weak when using bookshelf speakers with a sub crossed at 80Hz.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Care to offer a link? I am not finding the R-61 SE's? Have a feeling these are also expensive, no? Working w/a Fred Flinstone budget here. ;)

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Care to offer a link? I am not finding the R-61 SE's? Have a feeling these are also expensive, no? Working w/a Fred Flinstone budget here. ;)

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah, my experience is with the 61 lse, which is a bit pricey!
Also have the Emptek 41-b which is a bit brighter than the 61-lse.
Both excel at a clean and detailed mid-range. So keep your eyes open, if you get the chance to hear a pair of their new impressions, they are likely to have a very nice midrange as well!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, my experience is with the 61 lse, which is a bit pricey!
Also have the Emptek 41-b which is a bit brighter than the 61-lse.
Both excel at a clean and detailed mid-range. So keep your eyes open, if you get the chance to hear a pair of their new impressions, they are likely to have a very nice midrange as well!
I see that the R-61 LSE's use the same Scanspeak Tweeter that Ty uses in his Taylo Reference Monitors that I once owned. My guess is that they albeit the R-61 LSE's and the Taylos would sound similar, no? That, of course, would be a good thing if they do. However, the Taylos did not have a lot of low end extension from what I remember. As such, the R-61 LSE's may have the advantage there as Gene eludes to in his review.

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So keep your eyes open, if you get the chance to hear a pair of their new impressions, they are likely to have a very nice midrange as well!
I would love to see a direct comparison of the RBH R-5E Elites and the Outlaw BLSv2's. Might even add the Dyn Audio Emit M10's to the mix. All are similarly priced. My guess is that the Dyns would merely kick some serious a$$ here. Just saying............no?

http://rbhsound.com/r5e.php

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/blsv2.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_345M10B/Dynaudio-Emit-M10-Black-Satin.html

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well for a Fintstone budget, I am looking at these Peachtree (Era) speakers on close-out and a 30 day return policy
DS4.5 use to sell/list for $599 a pair
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-DS4-5-Bookshelf-Speakers-Birdseye-Maple-PAIR/323384938884

D4 use to sell/list for $699
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-D4-Bookshelf-Speakers-Swirl-Maple-PAIR-/223091728696?hash=item33f14da138
Love the Maple as that is my favorite finish. However, using 4" mids is a no go for me. I actually prefer a 5/5.25" mids myself. The 6/6.5" mids are also nice, but typically come at a cost in the mids. Thus, the 5/5.25" seems to be the best at offering (1) low end extension while not (2) taxing the mids as much as the 6/6.5" mids typically do. The 4" mids are just simply too small for my needs.

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
IMO All the towers with passive bass will not do much better than the Dynaudio tower or any Tower with passive bass.

How many towers have you already listened to? :D
Probably not as many as you have. ;)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Anyone know here if the R Series sounds like the LS50. Specifically wondering if the R700 sounds like a LS50 tower.
I think LS50 sounds quite close to R series in my experience. I personally have R500 and I love the sound of them. I think R500 offers cleaner and more accurate sound as it has separate bass drivers and the mid range driver doesn't need to work so hard to produce lower frequencies. I have also heard R700 in store and to me R500 sounds more accurate, R700 will dig deeper but for some reason they sounded more muddy to me, could be the space they were in.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I think LS50 sounds quite close to R series in my experience. I personally have R500 and I love the sound of them. I think R500 offers cleaner and more accurate sound as it has separate bass drivers and the mid range driver doesn't need to work so hard to produce lower frequencies. I have also heard R700 in store and to me R500 sounds more accurate, R700 will dig deeper but for some reason they sounded more muddy to me, could be the space they were in.
Sounds about right. And a sub will take up the low end. This way you almost have a large three way bookshelf that can handle some power.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds about right. And a sub will take up the low end. This way you almost have a large three way bookshelf that can handle some power.
The R300's are a 3-way design. Have seen them @Acc4Less for $1100 a set! KEFDirect has them brand new for $1300. Can't even imagine how well the Reference Ones would sound. Sure would love to find out.:)

Cheers,

Phil

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Still today I gorge myself on their lush sound. I'm completely smitten by these. It only helps that my GF finds them beautiful and loves how they sound. What she noticed and how she describes it is that even when play very loud she can talk to people in the room and the speech is fully intelligible. I’m guessing this is because they don’t create distortions and noise.

These are the only speakers that give me that same feeling where you want to raise volume all the time like with the headphones.

Ears relax and get accustomed to their sound easily and then it’s never enough. You want to keep raising the volume, but it always stays so elegant.

Really, time is passing but my thrill is not! They will not leave my flat ever.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Still today I gorge myself on their lush sound. I'm completely smitten by these. It only helps that my GF finds them beautiful and loves how they sound. What she noticed and how she describes it is that even when play very loud she can talk to people in the room and the speech is fully intelligible. I’m guessing this is because they don’t create distortions and noise.

These are the only speakers that give me that same feeling where you want to raise volume all the time like with the headphones.

Ears relax and get accustomed to their sound easily and then it’s never enough. You want to keep raising the volume, but it always stays so elegant.

Really, time is passing but my thrill is not! They will not leave my flat ever.
Are you talking about the LS50?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis