New Panasonic UHD Blu-ray Player - the Next Oppo?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like the multi-channel RCA output. I, in fact, need it to enjoy multi-channel SACD; but, since Panasonic does not do SACD, multi-channel RCA output seems unimportant because HDMI, IEC 958, or optical S/PDIF can carry multi-channel for decoding by AVR. Of course, if user wants BD Player to decode, the RCA multi-channel might be useful, but, only when connected to a preamp with RCA multi-channel input. What preamps are out there today with such inputs?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Only if you have high-end audio system. The big advantage is when you connect the balanced XLR outputs to a high-end 2-channel audio system.
Unless you have to run long cables from the BD player to pre-pro or the AVR, explain to me why it would be advantageous to have XLR outputs. Otherwise, the only advantage is that of a more secure connection than that of RCA plugs.

IMO, Panasonic should have added at least on their top model the possibility of playing SACDs and DVD-As which feature surround tracks and a wider dynamic range than CDs. Also, why not provide for the addition of a region-free hardware on their new models?

Last edited:
DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
I mostly agree with your post in that using balanced XLR will mostly benefit the audio performance over longer lengths vs. using unbalance RCA connections. I totally agree that SACD compatibility would be an important feature to many audiophiles. I have continually strongly recommended for Panasonic to add SACD and DVD-A decoding.

With that said in high-end 2-channel audio systems you will always have some sonic improvement when using balanced XLR interconnects and cables. Here's some of my understanding of using a balanced XLR connection vs. RCA.

- Balanced XLR connectors are higher grade and lock into the chassis mount for a more secure connection.

- Balanced XLR delivers a lower signal to noise ratio at any cable length.

- Three pin balanced XLR are not as easily effected by interference, less buzz, less hum and other noise on the carrier.

- All professional audio equipment use balanced XLR interconnects regardless of the cable length. Considering all of this information it's true that most of the value of using XLR vs. RCA is in longer cable lengths, but a balanced XLR connection at any length will also deliver a stronger and cleaner signal.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I mostly agree with your post in that using balanced XLR will mostly benefit the audio performance over longer lengths vs. using unbalance RCA connections. I totally agree that SACD compatibility would be an important feature to many audiophiles. I have continually strongly recommended for Panasonic to add SACD and DVD-A decoding.

With that said in high-end 2-channel audio systems you will always have some sonic improvement when using balanced XLR interconnects and cables. Here's some of my understanding of using a balanced XLR connection vs. RCA.

- Balanced XLR connectors are higher grade and lock into the chassis mount for a more secure connection.

- Balanced XLR delivers a lower signal to noise ratio at any cable length.

- Three pin balanced XLR are not as easily effected by interference, less buzz, less hum and other noise on the carrier.

- All professional audio equipment use balanced XLR interconnects regardless of the cable length. Considering all of this information it's true that most of the value of using XLR vs. RCA is in longer cable lengths, but a balanced XLR connection at any length will also deliver a stronger and cleaner signal.
Now, here's the downside to mixing unbalanced consumer equipment and balanced professional equipment, consumer equipment is -10db and professional equipment is +4db. This means distorted playback, for which there is no remedy when playing from balanced to unbalanced, or recording from balanced to unbalanced. Bottom-line, balanced for consumer equipment makes the buyer think he's gone from the minor's to the major's. He's just spent more to solve a non-existent problem.

Last edited:
DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
@sterling shoote, thanks for the reply.

I agree and understand the signal level mismatch between pro and consumer audio. I was not recommending for anyone to connect Panasonic's UB9000 to any pro audio system. My only reason for stating that pro audio equipment uses balanced XLR connections was to make the point that pro audio equipment designers use XLR connections and do not typically use RCA.

I also understand that the advantages of using XLR connection is important when the cable run is 16' or longer, but I also stand on all of my listed comments on the advantages of using balance XLR over RCA audio connections at any cable length. For critical listening on high-end systems that accept XLR ports I suggest using XLR balanced interconnects.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@sterling shoote, thanks for the reply.

I agree and understand the signal level mismatch between pro and consumer audio. I was not recommending for anyone to connect Panasonic's UB9000 to any pro audio system. My only reason for stating that pro audio equipment uses balanced XLR connections was to make the point that pro audio equipment designers use XLR connections and do not typically use RCA.

I also understand that the advantages of using XLR connection is important when the cable run is 16' or longer, but I also stand on all of my listed comments on the advantages of using balance XLR over RCA audio connections at any cable length. For critical listening on high-end systems that accept XLR ports I suggest using XLR balanced interconnects.
Apart from the XLR connectors, pro audio equipment manufacturers also use the ¼" Phone plugs and the Phoenix (Euro type) block connectors. But if the connection is from an unbalanced source, I frankly prefer both the phone plug and the RCA plug to the Phoenix terminal blocks because it makes for a more secure connection..

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Well, I am very happy to report that we'll be bring in the DP-UB9000 for USA distribution!

Panasonic confirmed my 1st and 2nd allocations for the UB9000! Early December for the 1st allotment and one month later for each additional shipment.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I am very happy to report that we'll be bring in the DP-UB9000 for USA distribution!

Panasonic confirmed my 1st and 2nd allocations for the UB9000! Early December for the 1st allotment and one month later for each additional shipment.
So will you be the exclusive source for these units in the states?
What is the price?
Will these ship out of the UK or will there be a distribution center in the US?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
We're buy directly from Panasonic and our shipments come directly from the factory in Asia to the USA, no stops in-between.

Our all in delivered price is $999 and we double box every order to help ensure a safe delivery Nationwide.

Here's a picture of me early summer this year in front of our store with our 1st UB820 allocation.

IMG_0396.JPG

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I like the Panny, but for me it has to be a Universal player (with BD, SACD, DVD-A and Redbook support). We'll see what shows up in the next year or so.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
1st two USA allotments of UB9000s are sold out and we are now accepting reservations for the February allocation.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Just got an update from Panasonic, with some good news... We're now likely to receive UB820s and possibly even our UB9000s sooner and.... for both series and starting with the Feb. shipment all of our future monthly allocations have been increased. So we can continue to accept reservations for near sold out February delivery and sustain a stable supply to avoid the frustrations we all experienced for the past two months with the shortage of UB820s.

I must tell you among all of my numerous advanced technology bleeding edge Beta testing and product development support that I've been honored to participate in, my relationship with Panasonic is one of the best business experiences I've enjoyed in my career.

B

Brutusfl

Audiophyte
So where can we purchase the Panasonic DP-UB9000 currently?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
My company has the exclusive USA distribution until the end of June for Panasonic's UB9000 4K BD player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis