New Panasonic UHD Blu-ray Player - the Next Oppo?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Ratings
4,530 22 9
Panasonic’s DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player will sell for €1,000 when it hits European shelves this October. Packed with cutting-edge video technologies, the new flagship player hopes to fill the high-performance void left by the late Oppo Digital players. But will the DP-UB9000 reach American shores, or will it remain as elusive as Panasonic’s OLED TVs?

panasonic.jpg

Read: Panasonic Shows Off New Flagship UHD Blu-ray Player

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic General
Ratings
279 5 1
Since it does not support stereo or multi channel SACD the Panasonic is a non-starter for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ratings
7,310 8 26
The Audio people are the minority, so while this one doesn't fill the whole gap, someone will almost certainly fill it.

John Parks

John Parks

Full Audioholic
Ratings
251 1 1
What about the Cambridge CXUHD; doesn't that one fill the gap ?
IIRC, the Cambridge Audio has OPPO internals, so they will have to eventually source from another OEM. The CXUHD ticks all of the boxes for me except no analog outs - but that is just me being in a (preferred) 2.1 set up where I like my disc player to perform its own DA conversion. ;)

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Ratings
Great write up! Very thorough and accurate. Just wanted to add the UPP for the USA is $999.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ratings
7,310 8 26
IIRC, the Cambridge Audio has OPPO internals, so they will have to eventually source from another OEM. The CXUHD ticks all of the boxes for me except no analog outs - but that is just me being in a (preferred) 2.1 set up where I like my disc player to perform its own DA conversion. ;)
Not ALL of the Cambridge units used Oppo as OEM. What would be cool is if Oppo continued to OEM to other companies like that...hint hint

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic General
Ratings
279 5 1
I appreciate the unit's multi-channel output. It seems I could download multi-channel DSD audio and burn a DVD which the Panasonic would play, is that right?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Ratings
@Lil, not sure if the UB820 is better in regard to image or audio performance, but the features are much richer. e.g. the UB820 is Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ capable and has AI Voice Control, (Firmware update this fall).

Nothing official, but I would think the UB900 will be discontinued later this year.

@sterling, I would say yes, but I have not personally tested DSD on a DVD.

My engineering production UB9000 is in transit to me and I should receive it this Wednesday! :)

Hope to see many Audioholics.com members stop by for a personal audition!

L

Lil klipsch

Audioholic Intern
Ratings
Do you believe there equals, and to get get the best audio from movies should I use 7.1 analog or the hdmi audio out? Thank you. I'm still in audio quality training. Even though I have been a audioholic for years .

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Ratings
Received my UB9000 engineering production unit.

Very nice back-lit remote control.

The UB9000 has exceptional build quality.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Ratings
Here's a pic of the HDMI set-up mens for the HDMI output that is marked for "audio only". As you can see it's configurable to your system's needs.

Here's a few more pic from various user menus. This new advanced technology BD player/streamer is very technical and is best purchased from a speciality dealer who can support all of the advanced features so the enthusiast user gets all of the value and benefit this player can deliver when set-up properly for each a/v system.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Ratings
Panasonics' UB9000 has 7.1 RCA Analog audio outputs and of course, HDMI video and audio and another HDMI audio only output.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis