Digital Copy Management

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
There are a lot of clever people involved in digital rights protection and the defeating of those protections. The use of a defeat is in of itself a crime. For example you have the right, in the USA, to back up a Dvd but in order to do so you would need to defeat the protection that prevents this. Catch 22.

You Dat method is I am afraid not something you should choose to rely upon were you to sell the copies. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There are a lot of clever people involved in digital rights protection and the defeating of those protections. The use of a defeat is in of itself a crime. For example you have the right, in the USA, to back up a Dvd but in order to do so you would need to defeat the protection that prevents this. Catch 22.

You Dat method is I am afraid not something you should choose to rely upon were you to sell the copies. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Copy_Management_System
Yup, and now we get to the big problem with DRM, it still gets defeated! It is only the honest paying customer that deals with all the disadvantages of DRM, and there are no advantages to DRM for the end user.

This forum isn't the place to discuss defeating DRM, but there are many resources readily available that cover these topics.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've not tried this, but I'm wondering, since DRM subjected music can be recorded to DAT, if that DAT could be copied to another DAT Digitally using XLR ASE-EBU connection, which would, I assume, defeat DRM and produce a DRM free copy.
That would not be legal. Not that anyone would ever be able to find out...

I wonder if digital files like this have something like macrovision?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I view streaming services as nice to have, but I don't EVER buy tracks from them for reasons that have already been laid out by others. If I can't do what I want with it, I don't own it.

It's like buying movies from Vudu. What happens if they lose Sony as a customer and I can't watch my movie because they pulled it from their catalog? How do I "own" that?

Having said that, I have zero issues buying digital files that have no DRM (applies to music only) like I did when I got a copy of NIN Hesitation Marks in flac. It was the "high fidelity" version or some such. More dynamic range or some such.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
That would not be legal. Not that anyone would ever be able to find out...

I wonder if digital files like this have something like macrovision?
As a practical matter, I do not think defeating DRM would be worth it, since the source is usually mp3 to start with; and, the 2 hours of time to produce the desired result would need be somewhere at about a $6.00 an hour rate to be effective, making me think just buying the CD makes a lot more sense.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As a practical matter, I do not think defeating DRM would be worth it, since the source is usually mp3 to start with; and, the 2 hours of time to produce the desired result would need be somewhere at about a $6.00 an hour rate to be effective, making me think just buying the CD makes a lot more sense.
CDs are cheap but they will go away soon. I think we just need affordable higher quality streaming (better than MP3) and that will become the norm more than likely when everyone has cheap high bandwidth internet.

S

sterling shoote

CDs are cheap but they will go away soon. I think we just need affordable higher quality streaming (better than MP3) and that will become the norm more than likely when everyone has cheap high bandwidth internet.
I'm somewhat ambivalent about CDs going away soon, I just don't know; and, I am in the business to know. There's no question about the popularity of streaming however so I think the question is how quickly the market for CDs will abandon the medium for streaming; and, will the entire CD market completely abandon CD.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
We still can't get rid of Vinyl, what makes you think CDs will vanish any sooner. Some people have been calling time on CDs for two decades already. So far the only real casualty of streaming has been Dvd rental stores like Blockbuster (I do miss them).

Personally for a luddite like myself, ownership still trumps streaming every time. Yes streaming is handy, but endless rental without reliable delivery, censorship or a viable owned alternative is hardly very secure or satisfactory way forward.

Some people have a bad habit of tampering with the source (1984 anyone). It is hard now to find a lot of Albums that have not been "remastered" and not in a good way. People like Ted Turner who colourise the back catalogues of black and white film stock is not something to admire. Laurel and Hardy is unwatchable. The thought of Casablanca or Its a Wonderful Life in COLOR gives me the shivers.

I'm old so fortunately this utopia will not likely complete before I've gone on. :p

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's been 11 years since I purchased a CD and 8 for all other physical media. I'm good

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I do like to buy multichannel music discs (often used) but very seldom buy a cd. I also like Blu-ray and UHD movies.

S

sterling shoote

My last CD purchase was made recently, Diana Krall, Turn Up The Quiet. It is the best sounding CD in my entire CD Library of about a thousand CDs. I usually try to buy Diana Krall works on multi-channel SACD but could not find such for this album. At any rate, any hearing it, I believe, would re-think abandoning CD.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My last CD purchase was made recently, Diana Krall, Turn Up The Quiet. It is the best sounding CD in my entire CD Library of about a thousand CDs. I usually try to buy Diana Krall works on multi-channel SACD but could not find such for this album. At any rate, any hearing it, I believe, would re-think abandoning CD.
I’ll check that out. I listen to all genres. I think cds may stick around for a few years at least.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have lately found that used CD BOX Sets tend to go for cheap nowadays. Box sets that I would not even consider in the past at the original price, I can find at very reasonable prices on the used market. Winning!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have lately found that used CD BOX Sets tend to go for cheap nowadays. Box sets that I would not even consider in the past at the original price, I can find at very reasonable prices on the used market. Winning!
I have been a regular at the local used CD/LP store. The reason is simple: average used CD is about $3,99. Even brand new releases at about $10 bucks for non-mainstream artists. Box sets are a deal as well although they vary in the reward/cost ratio. Almost always way better than a regular store.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
that's an excuse to make a trip to the used CD store. I don't need much of an excuse.:)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
that's an excuse to make a trip to the used CD store. I don't need much of an excuse.:)
Actually, I have found that Half Price Books tends to have pretty good selection and price for used CDs and Vinyl too.

S

sterling shoote

Actually, I have found that Half Price Books tends to have pretty good selection and price for used CDs and Vinyl too.
It appears, Turn Up The Quite, is hard to find at this time; but, if you do acquire it, please report your pleasure from it. Seriously, I find it to be the best CD I've heard, in any manner best can be discerned. Also, it's available on LP too.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It appears, Turn Up The Quite, is hard to find at this time; but, if you do acquire it, please report your pleasure from it. Seriously, I find it to be the best CD I've heard, in any manner best can be discerned. Also, it's available on LP too.
I decided to try Amazon for the CD. They only had 1 left. That's odd. So I bought it. Hope its a good one

2channel lover

humor on forum posts is such a tough thing.
R Kelly is/was a rapper who used to beat up his girlfriends.
After the latest round several streaming services dropped him and deleted all his music.
I apologize for a humorous jest that missed the mark. sigh.
If we're talking about the the same R. Kelly...R&B singer that had a few hits in the 90s early 2000s...got into some legal trouble with some young girls IIRC.

I know next to nothing about Rappers so there may be another R Kelly I don't know about.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis