Digital Copy Management

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm just wondering what music streaming services apply digital copy management to their downloadable music? I just discovered that Apple Music does this.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm just wondering what music streaming services apply digital copy management to their downloadable music? I just discovered that Apple Music does this.
I cant imagine any that wouldnt. They typically limit the number of times the disc can be burned or hd copied.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you discussing purchased music or using a streaming service? iTunes purchased tracks don't have DRM (but are signed with your account if you decide to share it with internet). probably most bought music doesn't have DRM anymore.

As for streaming, it's whole different story here. I would absolutely imagine it to have drm protection for "downloaded" music - actually you better treat it as temporary local/cached copy.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Sterling
I will add a second vote to BSA's comment. For purchased music, music you "own", in 2018 no one I know of is applying DRM to those files. I still don't trust the fellows at Apple not to do that, so I stopped buying from them a long time ago (when they used to do it) and I buy and rip CD's instead.

For streaming music, the situation is different. If you download or cache music to listen to it "offline" or when you are not internet connected, those files will be DRM protected. You didn't buy a copy to own and the licensing is different. For Spotify and Pandora it would be the same. If you cache files to listen to offline, those are going to either be encrypted or DRM'd to protect unatuthorized copies and distribution.

As Adam Smith so eloquently stated, "There is no free lunch".

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sterling
I will add a second vote to BSA's comment. For purchased music, music you "own", in 2018 no one I know of is applying DRM to those files. I still don't trust the fellows at Apple not to do that, so I stopped buying from them a long time ago (when they used to do it) and I buy and rip CD's instead.

For streaming music, the situation is different. If you download or cache music to listen to it "offline" or when you are not internet connected, those files will be DRM protected. You didn't buy a copy to own and the licensing is different. For Spotify and Pandora it would be the same. If you cache files to listen to offline, those are going to either be encrypted or DRM'd to protect unatuthorized copies and distribution.

As Adam Smith so eloquently stated, "There is no free lunch".
The cached/offline copies usually can't even be played in another app from my experience. They aren't even a "format" that anything else can recognize.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I recently found that one abum I'd downloaded to my phone from Spotify has been removed, no longer available on Spotify at all....nor my phone.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
you listenin' to that R Kelly guy again :)
Uh, no, why? Who is he?

FWIW it was Pitch Black's Filtered Senses, when I went to play it on the phone about a week ago only one song was there, and when I went to the artist's page via the phone it was the only available song. Now I just checked via my pc and the whole album is there again but only indicated I had that one song was saved and now my phone has the whole album again in download status. Maybe some renewal with the band in the meantime or something? So, somewhat a false alarm. Weird.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Uh, no, why? Who is he?

FWIW it was Pitch Black's Filtered Senses, when I went to play it on the phone about a week ago only one song was there, and when I went to the artist's page via the phone it was the only available song. Now I just checked via my pc and the whole album is there again but only indicated I had that one song was saved and now my phone has the whole album again in download status. Maybe some renewal with the band in the meantime or something? So, somewhat a false alarm. Weird.
humor on forum posts is such a tough thing.
R Kelly is/was a rapper who used to beat up his girlfriends.
After the latest round several streaming services dropped him and deleted all his music.
I apologize for a humorous jest that missed the mark. sigh.

S

sterling shoote

I still buy music from iTunes, usually, when I'm interested in just one song. If it's a whole album, I'll order it on CD or SACD, maybe vinyl. I do like Apple Music however for fresh music but it's somewhat annoying to realize when some of that music is in a playlist, that I can't burn it to CD. I thought perhaps by some means outside of the program I might still be able to make a CD, then discovered DRM prevented that. At any rate, I can connect my iPhone to my car's audio system so a CD is not really necessary although I've become accustomed to it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't expect a streaming service to provide content you could use like that (burning a cd or transferring it to unauthorized devices) unless you purchased it....

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
You do not own any digital music, you own a non transferable license to play back on one or more devices which can be revoke at any time. If you want to "own" music then you will need the physical retail copy on Vinyl, Tape or CD/Dvd. You still won't actually own the music, but you will at least be able to sell the version you have, as is (you cannot sell off bits of it), and you will have the right to back it up "safety". You are not allowed to duplicate and sell that.

Since playback rights are sold to commercial companies like Apple, Amazon, Spotify, etc.. When they loose those rights or decline to renew them then all copies, include those on user's devices must be removed.

I was going to add a lenghty section about my issues over Copyright laws, but we will leave that for another day :)

S

sterling shoote

I've not tried this, but I'm wondering, since DRM subjected music can be recorded to DAT, if that DAT could be copied to another DAT Digitally using XLR ASE-EBU connection, which would, I assume, defeat DRM and produce a DRM free copy.

S

sterling shoote

You do not own any digital music, you own a non transferable license to play back on one or more devices which can be revoke at any time. If you want to "own" music then you will need the physical retail copy on Vinyl, Tape or CD/Dvd. You still won't actually own the music, but you will at least be able to sell the version you have, as is (you cannot sell off bits of it), and you will have the right to back it up "safety". You are not allowed to duplicate and sell that.

Since playback rights are sold to commercial companies like Apple, Amazon, Spotify, etc.. When they loose those rights or decline to renew them then all copies, include those on user's devices must be removed.

I was going to add a lenghty section about my issues over Copyright laws, but we will leave that for another day :)
I suppose if I canceled my Apple Music subscription all of my downloads from Apple Music would disappear?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I suppose if I canceled my Apple Music subscription all of my downloads from Apple Music would disappear?
yes. I believe that is the case and the shortcoming of a streaming service.
its only there while your subscription is in place.
if I cancel my Spotify subscription, all my playlists would probably vaporize

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Unless you purchased individual items through the Apple Store then yes. Purchase items follow their license right but could in theory still be revoked (terms and conditions apply :) ), but not because your subscription lapsed. Subscription services such as Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, etc.. as was mentioned earlier usually require a dedicated player to listen to so if the sub lapses then the playback of downloaded items is not available and if the software is removed it will likely clear the cache holding them too.

This sort of nonsense is outlined in the very extensive, pretty incomprensible micro print in the disclaimers you clicked on ages ago and probably never bothered to read. They rely on you having to accept the terms whether you actually agree they are fair or not.

Spotify is a marginal exception in that you can still access your playlists, however if it is non a premium account you will not be able to download, only stream, and if it see it and the account status changed it will remove downloaded the items.

You will find particularly with Spotify that while most albums get listed in full you cannot always play some or all the tracks. This is usually due to them having different rights owners in some countries and not others.

The same conditions apply to Video, Games and Book/Magazine services.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I've not tried this, but I'm wondering, since DRM subjected music can be recorded to DAT, if that DAT could be copied to another DAT Digitally using XLR ASE-EBU connection, which would, I assume, defeat DRM and produce a DRM free copy.
I don't know for sure, but for cached files, they may be encrypted by the streaming service. They aren't exactly forthcoming with all the techniques they use to prevent unauthorized use. If the cached files are encrypted, you would just be moving a pile of encrypted bits from one place to another. You still couldn't play it. Give it w whirl. See what happens.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure if Pandora would be an option for you guys but I have been very happy with the Pandora Plus for 5 bucks a month. Might be worth a try.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis