Crown XLS 1502 amp Impression

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It depends. These figures of merit have limited usefulness. The more pertinent data are the distribution, magnitude, and orders of noise and distortion in the spectrum. And then there's the duration question. Is noise and distortion more tolerable over a long time interval (say two hours) or less tolerable? I wonder if there's a difference.
So....you mean the salient data aren't even measured or documented in any of these publications and reviews?

As far as "duration of noise", I think if the noise is audible, then duration is absolutely important. But if the noise is actually inaudible, then it would not matter if the listening session is 1 hr vs 8 hr.

I listened to music at high volume (but not uncomfortable) for several hours. The Crown amp did not have any issues.

But at the end of the day, pertinent specs or not, it's the actual listening that is truly salient.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
....I just can't put Emotiva on the list anymore. I’d be lying to myself if I said the cheese didn’t bother me....
I think they need to do 2 things: change the name to something more neutral or masculine (I think Emotiva means "emotional" or something feminine?) and make the amps look more like Lyngdorf, ATI, Outlaw, etc.

Also helps to keep the price down, not sell $5,000 AVRs. :eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I think they need to do 2 things: change the name to something more neutral or masculine (I think Emotiva means "emotional" or something feminine?) and make the amps look more like Lyngdorf, ATI, Outlaw, etc.
Also helps to keep the price down, not sell $5,000 AVRs. :eek:o_Oo_Oo_O

That’s exactly what the name means emotional. The Owner said so himself on his Forum. Maybe his wife came up with the name who knows. They Definitely cheese down a lot on their lower end amps, put fans in them cut back on heat sinks among other things. Not saying their lower-end amps are not a good value. Never tried one out. I did have a few of their amps the monoblocks UPA-1 was a great little amp the XPA-2 beast of a amp. The Cheese just never set well with me. Had many Carver amps in days pasted love them all the way to the handles on each side the VU meters where very pleasing. The way I look at EMO on the amps or gear that he personally had a hand in his name on the face plate done up in taste would have been better.

PS. The ATi in your post, doesn’t need no explaining anyone that knows amps knows already you get to close it will bite you!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The best part of that link is the one review. I wonder if it's real (even when Amazon says "verified purchase" it can be an employee of the supplier who made the purchase)? I like the part about the soundstage being wider. And he's bought several more. This review can't be legit.

I bought this to replace my PS Audio Powerbase outlet and what a sonic difference. The grip is not only tighter , but the soundstage is wider and much more detail . I'm very happy with this outlet and its worth the change over my PS AUDIO Premier and PowerPort. So much, that I've bought serveral more to replace the outlets in my PS Audio Dectet which were already changed to Maestro. As with all audio and video changes, ymmv.
I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of my sound having "tighter grip"....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So....you mean the salient data aren't even measured or documented in any of these publications and reviews?

As far as "duration of noise", I think if the noise is audible, then duration is absolutely important. But if the noise is actually inaudible, then it would not matter if the listening session is 1 hr vs 8 hr.

I listened to music at high volume (but not uncomfortable) for several hours. The Crown amp did not have any issues.

But at the end of the day, pertinent specs or not, it's the actual listening that is truly salient.
Some reviews do document full-spectrum results, like Gene's for 1W distortion. I see some noise results for full-spectrum on noise in Stereophile. It is sometimes interesting to see noise peaks at multiples of 60Hz, which is of course power supply related. You might remember my previous complaining about weighted noise results hiding interesting artifacts..

In general, all figures of merit, in any field, are generally defined or influenced by marketing people to produce the most optimistic-looking results for consumption by non-experts. This why, for example, the FTC power specifications read like XX watts at Y load from AA-ZZ Hertz at no more than DD distortion.

As for inaudible at a given time being indicative of long-term effects, there are many examples of conditions being difficult to notice in the short term that have longer term effects. Like displays with 30Hz refresh versus 60Hz refresh.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of my sound having "tighter grip"....
Yeah, but he was just talking about the outlet's grip on the prongs of the plug. A Hubble hospital-grade outlet does that too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, but he was just talking about the outlet's grip on the prongs of the plug. A Hubble hospital-grade outlet does that too.
Awww, that's not near as "audiophilly".

It is funny you mention that though, it's always been interesting that the "grip on the plug" isn't something that is usually an issue...until it is. One wouldn't normally think cheap outlets would be an issue due to how simple they are, but I've had problems in the past with cords literally falling out for no reason.

I'd love to know what magic inside these outlets could possibly have anything to do with sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That’s exactly what the name means emotional. The Owner said so himself on his Forum. Maybe his wife came up with the name who knows.
That's what a bunch of audio guys want to hear - the name of their amps means "emotional". o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Awww, that's not near as "audiophilly".

It is funny you mention that though, it's always been interesting that the "grip on the plug" isn't something that is usually an issue...until it is. One wouldn't normally think cheap outlets would be an issue due to how simple they are, but I've had problems in the past with cords literally falling out for no reason.
This is why there is a grade of outlets specifically for hospital-type equipment, and its only differentiating feature is prong grip. For home use true hospital-grade outlets are good for power cables you seldom expect to disconnect and reconnect, but they are actually annoying for use in general purpose locations because they grip so tightly.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, did you notice the ratings under our names? It shows how many Positive/Neutral/Negative Ratings we have.

Damn, I have over 5,600 Positive Ratings! o_Oo_Oo_O
Don't let it go to your head!:rolleyes:

I think a much more relevant number is the number of positive ratings for the total number of posts you have made!

For you, that would be 5,660 for 22,075 total posts or a 25.64% rating.

Then if you look at someone like Swerd, he has 4,043 positive ratings for a total of 5,285 posts or a 76.5% rating.

People like you and I post too much tripe to get such a high rating, LOL!
Swerd doesn't often "open his mouth" unless he has something worth saying.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For those prices I'll for go to warranty. As much as I have lost on poor gear choices I'll take the hit if a driver is defective with the money saved I'll be able to afford to buy replacements. wait, that doesn't make any sense. See I'm learning but Ooh so slow! lol.
As long as they have a DOA return policy, I wouldn't hesitate buying speakers from an unauthorized dealer; they just don't go bad very often (unless you blow them, and if you are that person, you already know who you are).
An AVR or Pre-pro? I'd have to think about it!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What's new are the cool features like Input Sensitivity options, Display and Lighting options, Gain Level options (old feature) that $30,000 amps and other audiophile amps don't even give you! LOL. :D:D
I haven't been keeping up with the features on these.
It sounds like Crown is trying to gain some of the home audio market with some of these (and more so, the RCA jacks that were already added).
The item missing from the list is an on/off trigger. Do they have one?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't been keeping up with the features on these.
It sounds like Crown is trying to gain some of the home audio market with some of these (and more so, the RCA jacks that were already added).
The item missing from the list is an on/off trigger. Do they have one?
I know mine doesn't, but it's first gen. That is something I really need so it doesn't just sit on all the time. It produces no heat at all, but still.

I'm about to just have to get a surge protector with 12v trigger. Only other solution I've come across.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know mine doesn't, but it's first gen. That is something I really need so it doesn't just sit on all the time. It produces no heat at all, but still.

I'm about to just have to get a surge protector with 12v trigger. Only other solution I've come across.
I didn't even realize they made those!
Are they high priced "specialty items", or pretty reasonable?
Link?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not cheap that I've been able to find.

Here's one, but being Panamax it's not cheap.

I haven't really found another one.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

The APC H15 Power Conditioner which I have been using for close to 15 years, has a powerful surge protection circuit, in and out DC trigger jacks as well as a voltage regulation function. It has a rated continuous 1440 Watt capacity. It comes in silver or black. I recommend it without any reservation. It would most likely suit your needs.
If I recall well, Gene is using either this unit or the one which features a back-up battery in at least one of his systems:

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-AV-15-kVA-H-Type-Power-Conditioner-120V/P-H15

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The APC H15 Power Conditioner which I have been using for close to 15 years, has a powerful surge protection circuit, in and out DC trigger jacks as well as a voltage regulation function. It has a rated continuous 1440 Watt capacity. I recommend it without any reservation. It would most likely suit your needs.
If I recall well, Gene is using either this unit or the one which features a back-up battery in at least one of his systems:

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-AV-15-kVA-H-Type-Power-Conditioner-120V/P-H15
I've actually got my eye on one of those for the living room. Guess it would be good for the theater too, but price seems high. Probably because it's a "home theater" model.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've actually got my eye on one of those for the living room. Guess it would be good for the theater too, but price seems high. Probably because it's a "home theater" model.
Taking into account of all its features and the build quality, I consider the price reasonable. You could also find a used one on eBay at a good price.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Regarding the QSC fan, could you just remove the internal fan and just use an external fan?
Not casually!
Pro Audio gear is generally designed to be mounted in a rack without any clearance above or below, or on either side! Accordingly, air flow is required from front to back and the fan is usually strategically located.
In the case of the QSC, there is essentially a tunnel/tube with heat-sink fins projecting into it that runs from front to back. The only vents are in the front and a circular hole in the back that is fit to the fan blades! So, unless you can adapt an efficient way to draw air through that tunnel, you can forget it!
I'm sure flow and cooling analyses are done to insure the system reliably cools even for a band playing outside on 100+ degree hot day!

Of course, this also makes it hard to come up with a one-size-fits all face plate, and even if for a specific model, you will have to provide adequate venting (which isn't often attractive) in the correct location(s) on the face.

I always thought the older Yamaha pro audio amp was a pretty good looking amp, however, they still won't match other gear. They do have removable ears for rack mounting, but I believe the handles are permanent:

Interestingly, I'm not a fan of their newer design, but beauty is subjective:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Not casually!
Pro Audio gear is generally designed to be mounted in a rack without any clearance above or below, or on either side! Accordingly, air flow is required from front to back and the fan is usually strategically located.
In the case of the QSC, there is essentially a tunnel/tube with heat-sink fins projecting into it that runs from front to back. The only vents are in the front and a circular hole in the back that is fit to the fan blades! So, unless you can adapt an efficient way to draw air through that tunnel, you can forget it!
I'm sure flow and cooling analyses are done to insure the system reliably cools even for a band playing outside on 100+ degree hot day!

Of course, this also makes it hard to come up with a one-size-fits all face plate, and even if for a specific model, you will have to provide adequate venting (which isn't often attractive) in the correct location(s) on the face.

I always thought the older Yamaha pro audio amp was a pretty good looking amp, however, they still won't match other gear. They do have removable ears for rack mounting, but I believe the handles are permanent:

Interestingly, I'm not a fan of their newer design, but beauty is subjective:
On all QSC amps, the fan pushes the air from the back to the front of the chassis.
Also, the fan noise varies between amplifier series. Those on the RMX series are noisy, but the ones on the DCA series are rather quiet. I am now using four of those DCA amps in my console. The fans are about 6 feet from my listening position and I practically don't hear them, except when the kitchen fridge is not running, the humidifier is not used and the AC is off.
Anyways, when music is playing, I never hear them. Should one find their noise objectionable, a technician could add a resistor to the fan powering wire to reduce its speed.

Cheers,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis