Crown XLS 1502 amp Impression

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
However, I still think that for those of us with real-world resources, blinded audio testing is still a waste of my time, and I hate it. :)
I don't hate it when someone at least tries blind testing. I do hate it when they make broad conclusions with inadequate data.
Comparing properly functioning solid state amplifiers, I have never been able to definitely hear differences even in sighted testing while switching back forth…
It would be like listening to different brands of paint dry.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"However, I still think that for those of us with real-world resources, blinded audio testing is still a waste of my time, and I hate it. "

Even though we don't all perform scientific testing, we can still learn from the results and reap the benefits

"Comparing properly functioning solid state amplifiers, I have never been able to definitely hear differences even in sighted testing while switching back forth, unless the amps were somehow stressed beyond their design limits."

That says a lot right there sighted or blind.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Yes, you are .............
Okay, I'll change it, severe denial. But then it's hard to penetrate a brick wall with an evangelical, fundamentalist, born-again audiophile. What? You spent $2000 on your speaker cables? $11,000 on your turntable? Well, Praise the Subjective Lord! I rest my case.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you are keeping the Crown amp? how's about an ole switch-a-roo? ;). Hey bet you never heard of that one before.o_O. You get a almost pristine 5 channel amp that weighs as much as a boat anchor, :eek: not the anchors that we use on the P row boats down here in the bayou that would sink the P row. :p
I think I am keeping this Crown amp since it was only $300. You never know when you need an extra amp, right? o_O

Kind of like you keeping that EMO amp in the closet. ;)o_O

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Mr. Robinson is on the payroll at Stereophile Magazine. That says a lot right there.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Mr. Robinson is on the payroll at Stereophile Magazine. That says a lot right there.
Those can be thought of as fighting words. Do you know any facts that could back that up?

If you meant it as a joke, you made no effort to identify it as such.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Those can be thought of as fighting words. Do you know any facts that could back that up?

If you meant it as a joke, you made no effort to identify it as such.
You haven't seen or read his audio component reviews? He reviews equipment for free? Not fighting words, just facts, that's all. That magazine is very controversial.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Dead wrong. My issues with comparison testing for audio equipment is that I've never seen them produce statistically relevant results even when there are substantial differences in the measured outputs. Humans are terrible at audio comparison testing; the participants are always guessing, except in the grossest comparisons. As for me finding science worthless and annoying, that's stupid.
I don't know how you define substantial. I would consider 0.005% vs 0.02% THD is substantial, so is 0.05% vs 0.01% THD. Assuming proper protocols are followed and sample size is not the issue, in a single blind test you are going to get statistical relevant results as participants would likely resort to guessing because there isn't much audible differences to begin with, if any.

All else being equal, if you compare your Salon 2 to any of my speakers, you won't be guessing for sure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There is a Kal Rubinson who does reviews for Stereophile, don't recall reading any reviews there by IrvRobinson.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I meant Kal Rubinson. It's easy to confuse the names. They're close.

My apologies to you Irv.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Irv, 'Out of Phase' is so far 'out of touch' I don't think there's much hope ........
Oh, go listen to your $11000 turntable with all the cracks and pops in the background, okay? I apologized to Mr. Robinson.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
What are we learning here? Does low end gear perform well? Will low end gear give you the same end results? That all depends on your resources or which way you want to go with audio reproduction. I once had this little amp, wasn't much about 50 X 2 @8 Ohms it was a Craig power amp for car. One day I decided to use it on some home audio speakers bookshelfs nothing special. Went and got a 120V converter to 12v DC. Was very impressed with the sound quality of the little car amp. If I remember right I blew that amp cause at the time I was young, it stayed on 24/7 most of the time you couldn't walk into the room LOUDLY! .amp got to hot opened it up a Cap blew and one trans at the rail was almost melted in the middle of it. Point of this post is low and gear can achieve decent sound quality even good when matched with the right speaker's and gear. High and gear same thing. Matching the wrong gear to the wrong speaker's is a losing battle that can be very expensive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis