Crown XLS 1502 amp Impression

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder if it's also more reliable?
I'm sure there is some information somewhere on reliability, but if you consider how competitive the pro-audio industry is and that the Crown runs cooler and is designed to survive the constant abuse they will see from life on the road, I think that is an easy yes.
Even in original packaging, I cross my fingers if shipping a Class A or A/B amp across country. 60 pounds is a lot of "force on impact" if dropped 3-4 feet. So I would bet even the new-in-box return statistics are pretty lop-sided in favor of the Crown's reliability.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The subjective: this Crown (XLS 2nd Gen amp that I paid a little over $300 from Amazon) sounds every damn bit as awesome as any amp I have ever heard in my life.
Yeah, but didn't you just post recently that you think the differences between B&W 801 Matrix and the latest 800D series are all in peoples' heads? If you think speakers over 25 years or so sound alike, you wouldn't be a guy I'd expect to hear differences in amplifier performance. I suppose I could review lipstick, but to me it's all just red greasy stuff.

Kidding aside, my wife's various bands use Crown XLS amps for PA systems, and they're great for that. I'm on board with Class D amps for subs (they're in my subs). For my primary music system? I doubt it. Modern Class A/AB amps are so refined and so well sorted and their performance is so well understood that I'm not seeing the advantage of these Class D designs. Oh yeah, size and cost. But I don't like the artifacts they put in the signal path just above the audio range. This reminds me of the MQA versus lossless controversy. The MQA files are purported to sound just as good or better, but they're smaller, because they're lossy. I'd just rather have lossless and know what I'm getting. The Class AB versus Class D comparison reminds me of that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are we talking about hiss or (mechanical) hum?

I have more than 1 system where I can power everything up, crank up all of my gains and volume knobs with no material playing, put my ear right on the tweeter, and hear absolute silence.

I cannot always achieve that goal, but that is my goal. If I can't achieve that, then you can start tweaking down the gain knob until you get dead silence. At that point, any hiss won't be audible once the music is playing anyway.
Hiss, they all do, it a question of audibility. I am sure you know aside from the electronics, it also depends on the speakers, and the background noise floor.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Even in original packaging, I cross my fingers if shipping a Class A or A/B amp across country. 60 pounds is a lot of "force on impact" if dropped 3-4 feet. So I would bet even the new-in-box return statistics are pretty lop-sided in favor of the Crown's reliability.
my amps weight in at 90#'s each plus packaging, they survived cross country shipping without issue.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
my amps weight in at 90#'s each plus packaging, they survived cross country shipping without issue.
Oh, I would never say that they are commonly destroyed in shipping. Obviously this would be a death sentence for any company in this age of internet/mail order!
I am saying that statistically the percentage of damaged units are going to be higher for the heavier gear. I used to design packaging for shipping and there is only so much you can reasonably do to avoid damage.
At 90 lbs, sometimes companies will ship it freight (more often for larger items like speakers) to avoid the abuses of UPS and FedEx.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm on board with Class D amps for subs (they're in my subs). For my primary music system? I doubt it. Modern Class A/AB amps are so refined...
Well, I'm no final authority for sure.

I just know what I hear.

It's not difficult to know if something sounds good or bad or whether you love or hate something.

So you can hear the difference in your music when you switch from class A/AB to class D, huh?

You don't see the advantage of significantly less heat production from electronics?

I also see significant less weight as an advantage. Low cost would be another advantage.

But I guess if you can hear sweeter and more airy treble and tighter and faster bass from class A/AB over class-D, then it's a moot point. :D

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So you can hear the difference in your music when you switch from class A/AB to class D, huh?
I've never tried. A buying decision is a matter of trust, and I'm not sure if I'd perceive a difference over the long term or not. I understand how Class AB amps function, and I understand how Class D amps function, and I'd want to see thorough measurements regarding how transparent the Class D signal path is before I'd make a buying decision. Oddly, reviews with measurements on Class D amps are few and far between. The subjective reviews aren't what I'm looking for. The subjective review I'm interested in is my own. ;-)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I've never tried. A buying decision is a matter of trust, and I'm not sure if I'd perceive a difference over the long term or not. I understand how Class AB amps function, and I understand how Class D amps function, and I'd want to see thorough measurements regarding how transparent the Class D signal path is before I'd make a buying decision. Oddly, reviews with measurements on Class D amps are few and far between. The subjective reviews aren't what I'm looking for. The subjective review I'm interested in is my own. ;-)

agreed .........

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I would never say that they are commonly destroyed in shipping. Obviously this would be a death sentence for any company in this age of internet/mail order!
I am saying that statistically the percentage of damaged units are going to be higher for the heavier gear. I used to design packaging for shipping and there is only so much you can reasonably do to avoid damage.
At 90 lbs, sometimes companies will ship it freight (more often for larger items like speakers) to avoid the abuses of UPS and FedEx.
LOL as if "freight" is free of abuse....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure would like to see an AH review of the Crown XLS Drivecore amps....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
LOL as if "freight" is free of abuse....
True that, but generally items are palletized and equipment made to lift is handling instead of people who have to put the load on their back/knees!
And as a plus, when the blade of a fork lift skewers your speaker, there is not much debate about shipping liability!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True that, but generally items are palletized and equipment made to lift is handling instead of people who have to put the load on their back/knees!
And as a plus, when the blade of a fork lift skewers your speaker, there is not much debate about shipping liability!
True enough, but when building pallets things happen :) I've seen some artistic forklift damage, tho....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Why hasn't some of the other owner's of Crown amps thought of that before. You believe Gene may discover the other products that's promoted and reviewed could be exposed to truth or facts. :D
$300 vs being without one of the subs, nah. It's an investment to review it :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You guys have seen the Audio Critic review and measurements of the very cheap $180 Behringer amp, right?

http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic_web2.htm#ba

Bottom line: the measurements won’t look as pretty as audiophile amps, but the sound is good.

And I believe the Crown, QSC, Yamaha amps are better quality than that cheap-a$$ Behringer. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis